can somebody explain the love for Gio Bernard? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

can somebody explain the love for Gio Bernard?

Moderator: Football Moderators

can somebody explain the love for Gio Bernard?

Postby Donkingsfro » Wed May 15, 2013 9:10 am

Can anybody try and explain to me why Bernard is now being considered a top 2 guy to get in dynasty rookie drafts? I just don't see it. He screams career committee back to me. I don't mean that in a demeaning way towards him in anyway. He's certainly talented but I just don't ever see him getting the workload to be a top FF producer and for good reason. Good pass catcher, shifty runner but not great in short yardage and serious durability concerns. Given those two limitations, I can't see a legit argument as to why he is going to ever not be paired with a bigger more physical runner.

-Leveon Bell is going to get a huge workload regardless of what you think of his talent and the steelers are surely convinced he's going to be productive.

-Not the biggest montee ball fan but whenever he does see the field, as long as Peyton Manning is playing, he's going to put up big numbers in that offense. Louie Anderson could so I don't see why Montee Ball couldn't. Ideal fantasy playing spot for RB's

-Eddie Lacy/Franklin I really like Lacy but hes certainly a big risk towards the top. I think one RB will end up running away with the job and whoever does, I expect to be majorly productive. Packers wanna run the ball

-Tavon Austin is going to be a stud I have no doubts about that. Major major talent but his lack of height does scare me away a bit since it will probably limit his TD production

-DeAndre Hopkins is a guy I think is a pretty safe pick to be eventually productive. Does everything well and has strong hands. Very polished receiver.

Anyway, in my opinion, all of these guys warrant a higher selection than Bernard so can somebody explain to me what I am missing here? Perhaps it's just a difference of opinion but I'm curious as to how he is such a trendy pick at 1.01 all of a sudden
Donkingsfro
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: can somebody explain the love for Gio Bernard?

Postby murphysxm » Wed May 15, 2013 9:35 am

I'm on your side. My guess is in a draft with very little separation, personal preference and situations are becoming bigger factors. I think people see BJGE as a lump of coal and Bernard has the opportunity and talent wise he is better than Bell. Lacy and Ball have ?'s with health, excessive carries, etc. I don't see Austin staying healthy with his frame and Bradford isn't good. Hopkins will step in fairly early, but can that offense truly support 2 WR's?

A counter and pro argument can be made for almost the entire 1st round. Take the guy you like.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: can somebody explain the love for Gio Bernard?

Postby Indibuck » Wed May 15, 2013 1:21 pm

I agree with you guys. I saw a soft player in college. That doesn't usually translate well in the NFL. Also, I think those that draft him thinking he will be a workhorse back at some point in the future are going to be disappointed. I just can't justify spending a top-2 pick on Gio.

I think of a bigger and more talented Darren Sproles as his upside, but someone who will miss parts of games here and there and hurts his owners regularly enough to give them heartburn for starting him. Buyer beware.

If he falls to 6 or below in a PPR draft, he's in consideration for me. But it's a moot point because the are enough believers out there that he's not making it that far in our early Cafe dynasty league drafts.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions