Dynasty Value: Kaepernick? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions

Dynasty Value: Kaepernick?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dynasty Value: Kaepernick?

Postby tmoney26 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:52 am

12 team IDP dynasty league- start 1qb, 2rb, 3wr, 1te, 1k, 2dl, 3lb, 2db. All td's 6pts. .1 pts for 3pass yds and .1 for rus/rec yds.

We have restricted free agents and Kaepernick is one of them. Rules are a little complex but basically if the bid for him goes over $9 then it would cost a 1st round pick (1.05 for me).

My team
qb- m.stafford, j.locker
rb- m.forte, c.johnson, v.ballard, b.brown, b.bolden
wr- m.austin, p.harvin, g.jennings, d.moore, t.smith, m.floyd
te- j.graham, a.hernandez, l.green

I'm not really sold on any of the rookie rb's even though I know a few will have breakout seasons. Is it worth it to pursue Kaepernick and lose my draft pick if I get him? Qb's put up big points in our league so you definitely want to be solid at that position. At the same time my team is weak across the board except at te.
tmoney26
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Dynasty Value: Kaepernick?

Postby 11stever11 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:48 pm

I moved this to the Dynasty & Keeper Questions forum.
This really depends on how big your cap is. If $9 is not a big percentage of the cap, I would look to keep him even though you lose the 1.05. I think Kaepernick is in the 2nd tier of QBs, and he has huge upside.
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 46)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu May 16, 2013 9:14 pm

tmoney26 wrote:12 team IDP dynasty league- start 1qb, 2rb, 3wr, 1te, 1k, 2dl, 3lb, 2db. All td's 6pts. .1 pts for 3pass yds and .1 for rus/rec yds.

We have restricted free agents and Kaepernick is one of them. Rules are a little complex but basically if the bid for him goes over $9 then it would cost a 1st round pick (1.05 for me).

My team
qb- m.stafford, j.locker
rb- m.forte, c.johnson, v.ballard, b.brown, b.bolden
wr- m.austin, p.harvin, g.jennings, d.moore, t.smith, m.floyd
te- j.graham, a.hernandez, l.green

I'm not really sold on any of the rookie rb's even though I know a few will have breakout seasons. Is it worth it to pursue Kaepernick and lose my draft pick if I get him? Qb's put up big points in our league so you definitely want to be solid at that position. At the same time my team is weak across the board except at te.

11stever11 wrote:I moved this to the Dynasty & Keeper Questions forum.
This really depends on how big your cap is. If $9 is not a big percentage of the cap, I would look to keep him even though you lose the 1.05. I think Kaepernick is in the 2nd tier of QBs, and he has huge upside.

I think you misunderstood the OP's question. Kaepernick isn't on his team, he's a restricted FA, and if the OP bids more than $9 on Kaepernick...he'll lose his 1.05 draft pick.

I agree that Kaepernick has huge upside, but since you already have Stafford, I don't think it's worth losing your 1.05 to get Kaepernick. I'd bid on Kaepernick, but I wouldn't go past the point where you lose the 1.05. If you're not sold on any of the rookie RB's, I think you should be able to get one of the top 3 rookie WR's (Austin/Hopkins/Patterson) at 1.05. Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby tmoney26 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:40 am

[/quote]
I think you misunderstood the OP's question. Kaepernick isn't on his team, he's a restricted FA, and if the OP bids more than $9 on Kaepernick...he'll lose his 1.05 draft pick.

I agree that Kaepernick has huge upside, but since you already have Stafford, I don't think it's worth losing your 1.05 to get Kaepernick. I'd bid on Kaepernick, but I wouldn't go past the point where you lose the 1.05. If you're not sold on any of the rookie RB's, I think you should be able to get one of the top 3 rookie WR's (Austin/Hopkins/Patterson) at 1.05. Good luck! ;-D[/quote]

You are correct sir. If I bid on him and the bid goes over $9 then I lose the pick (if the original owner doesn't match the offer). Our cap is $225. I was kind of thinking along the same philosophy you have. Try to get him if the price is right but pass if I have to give up the pick. If it stays under $9 then it would be a 2nd round pick but I think the original owner would match anything under that price.
tmoney26
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 28)

Postby 11stever11 » Fri May 17, 2013 5:13 pm

tmoney26 wrote:

I agree that Kaepernick has huge upside, but since you already have Stafford, I don't think it's worth losing your 1.05 to get Kaepernick. I'd bid on Kaepernick, but I wouldn't go past the point where you lose the 1.05. If you're not sold on any of the rookie RB's, I think you should be able to get one of the top 3 rookie WR's (Austin/Hopkins/Patterson) at 1.05. Good luck! ;-D[/quote]

You are correct sir. If I bid on him and the bid goes over $9 then I lose the pick (if the original owner doesn't match the offer). Our cap is $225. I was kind of thinking along the same philosophy you have. Try to get him if the price is right but pass if I have to give up the pick. If it stays under $9 then it would be a 2nd round pick but I think the original owner would match anything under that price.[/quote]

Sorry about that, thought he was a player that you were going to lose to RFA. I would be surprised if he goes less then $9 in a $225 cap (I think he will go much more), so I would stay put and hold onto the pick.
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 46)

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions