Setting up a new league (keeper) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Setting up a new league (keeper)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby TheBeaker » Tue May 21, 2013 3:51 pm

Hi guys,

So... this year myself, my brother and a few assorted friends of ours decided we want to set up keeper league this year. We've each played single year leagues before but none of us as have done a keeper. I've been elected the Commish as I'm the guy who's probably most dedicated in the sense of willing to put in the time necessary to keep things running smoothly. That and most of the guys joining are acquaintances of my brother so I'm the most neutral of the bunch as well. Heres the rub, I've done all sorts of reading but have yet to come up with a vision for how to put this thing together. What I need from you all is a list of all the things that I need to consider and maybe some recommendations.

So far I've come up with this list of decisions that need to be made and some of my tentative ideas on them: (we're looking at having 10-12 guys)

1) #Of keepers each year - 3-4 keepers
2) Positions and bench spots - 1QB/2WR/2RB/1RB or WR/1TE/1K/1DST - Was thinking 6 Bench spots and maybe 1IR spot (is 1 redshirt spot a good idea?)
3) league format - head to head each week, total points
4) Drafting style after year 1 - Thinking after year one its just standard draft (not snake style) with a lottery for the teams who didnt get into the playoffs
5) Penalty (if any) for each years keepers - Depends on #6 but was thinking of a minor penalty +1 round a year if the total number of years to be kept is 3 years? +2 if no limit and cant go past the first round?
6) Limit (if any) on years keepers can be kept - 3? or no limit? or is there a better way to do this?
7) Trading of draft picks - should there be any restrictions on this? I'm happy to keep track for our league but wonder if there is a balance issue to be considered?
8) Waiver system - No real idea... also have to consider impact on keeper system
9) Anything else? I feel like im missing things.

The goal is to try and keep competitive balance while keeping it simple as possible. More than anything just to have fun. I appreciate any feedback guys.

P.S. I know there is a keeper sticky but i just wanted some more specific advice to this situation.
TheBeaker
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 173)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheBeaker » Sun May 26, 2013 11:06 am

Bueller......
TheBeaker
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic

Re: Setting up a new league (keeper)

Postby wtr23 » Sun May 26, 2013 3:14 pm

First off, I've never done a keeper league, so if you are looking for an informed answer you're better off stopping yourself at this point. I'm a relative newb at FF, I just recently joined a keeper league this season. I've been a member here for a few months, and I've browsed this forum long enough to have a general understanding of how they work. Here's my thoughts:

1) I've seen leagues do anything from 1-7 keepers, depending on roster size, 3-4 for a non IDP seems about right to me.
2) 6 or 7 bench plus 1 or 2 IR seems about standard
3) is there any other way to do it??? of course you want H2H :-D
4) non snaking draft sounds good. Never thought about a lottery style draft order but if thats what you wish to do, have at it.
5&6) I like the idea of keeper penalites or limitations, it opens the door for trades and makes the game challenging. I'd make the penalty +1 round each year, if you keep a FA their cost is a 15th round pick (or whatever the last round of the draft is if you decide to expand the rosters)
7) trading draft picks is part of the offseason fun, I'd definitely want that to be an option
8) worst to first (according to record, total points, etc)

Hope this helps ;-D
(sig by soty)
wtr23
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 237)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon May 27, 2013 12:19 am

TheBeaker wrote:Hi guys,

So... this year myself, my brother and a few assorted friends of ours decided we want to set up keeper league this year. We've each played single year leagues before but none of us as have done a keeper. I've been elected the Commish as I'm the guy who's probably most dedicated in the sense of willing to put in the time necessary to keep things running smoothly. That and most of the guys joining are acquaintances of my brother so I'm the most neutral of the bunch as well. Heres the rub, I've done all sorts of reading but have yet to come up with a vision for how to put this thing together. What I need from you all is a list of all the things that I need to consider and maybe some recommendations.

So far I've come up with this list of decisions that need to be made and some of my tentative ideas on them: (we're looking at having 10-12 guys)

1) #Of keepers each year - 3-4 keepers
2) Positions and bench spots - 1QB/2WR/2RB/1RB or WR/1TE/1K/1DST - Was thinking 6 Bench spots and maybe 1IR spot (is 1 redshirt spot a good idea?)
3) league format - head to head each week, total points
4) Drafting style after year 1 - Thinking after year one its just standard draft (not snake style) with a lottery for the teams who didnt get into the playoffs
5) Penalty (if any) for each years keepers - Depends on #6 but was thinking of a minor penalty +1 round a year if the total number of years to be kept is 3 years? +2 if no limit and cant go past the first round?
6) Limit (if any) on years keepers can be kept - 3? or no limit? or is there a better way to do this?
7) Trading of draft picks - should there be any restrictions on this? I'm happy to keep track for our league but wonder if there is a balance issue to be considered?
8) Waiver system - No real idea... also have to consider impact on keeper system
9) Anything else? I feel like im missing things.

The goal is to try and keep competitive balance while keeping it simple as possible. More than anything just to have fun. I appreciate any feedback guys.

P.S. I know there is a keeper sticky but i just wanted some more specific advice to this situation.

There are so many different ways to run a keeper league, but since your main goal is to try and keep competitive balance while keeping it as simple as possible, here's my opinion on how most "basic" keeper leagues work:

1. 2 keepers. With each owner only allowed 2 keepers each year, that ensures that you'll have a lot of great/good players left to be drafted each year.

2. What you listed is fine. Another suggestion would be to make it 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1K/1DST. Either way, you'd have 9 starters, and I think you should have 7 bench positions because all snake drafts should have an even # of rounds (so the person picking 1st in round 1 also doesn't pick 1st in the last round). 1 IR slot is fine. In most leagues, the player must be placed on IR by his NFL team in order to be placed on IR. I wouldn't have a redshirt slot, but it's not a bad idea.

3. IMO, head to head is the only way to go, and then total points should be used as the 1st playoff tiebreaker.

4. Every keeper league that I've been in has a snake draft every year. The only time I've ever had a standard/NFL style draft is for my rookie/FA drafts in my dynasty leagues. Keeper leagues are basically redraft leagues that allow each owner to keep some players, so I wouldn't recommend using a standard/NFL style draft in future years. For that same reason, I wouldn't have a lottery for the teams that didn't make the playoffs. I'm sure that exists in some leagues, but I've never heard of that before. The draft order is usually the reverse order of the final standings, so the teams that didn't make the playoffs get the 1st picks of the draft.

5 & 6. I'm not against a penalty for each years keepers, but most "basic" keeper leagues don't have penalties or limits on how many years that you can keep the players. I think that's the easiest way to go.

7. During the draft, I don't think there should be any restrictions on trading of draft picks, but I wouldn't recommend allowing owners to trade for future draft picks. That can get messy in keeper leagues.

8. I prefer to use a waiver priority system. The initial waiver priority order is the reverse order of the draft order. Each owner can put in claims for whichever player they want, and the owner with the highest waiver priority gets the player. After an owner claims a player, they move to the back of the line in the waiver priority order. You can have a rolling or a regular waiver priority system. In the rolling system, if an owner doesn't make a claim one week, their priority moves up because all the owners that did make claims go to the back of the line. I like this system the best because of the strategy of trying to get that #1 priority and then holding on to it until a stud player lands on the waiver wire (like maybe a RB gets hurt and you use the #1 priority on his backup). In the regular system, the waiver priority order changes each week to the reverse order of the standings. This ensures that the worst teams have the top priority each week.

The other system that has been gaining a lot of popularity is the blind bid waiver system. In this system, each owner is given $100 (can be a different amount, but $100 is pretty standard) at the beginning of the season. Each week, all owners can bid on any player they want, and the owner who bid the most gets the player. If you bid $0, you'll get the player only if no one else put in a claim for that player, and that's what you'll have to do if you end up spending all your $$ before the season ends. A lot of people like this system because every owner has a chance at getting every player as long as they have enough $$. I don't hate this system, but as I said, I prefer to use a waiver priority system. IMO, the only system that should never be used is first come, first serve.

9. I can't think of anything else right now, but I'll post more if I think of something.

Hope that helps a little, and good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby TheBeaker » Mon May 27, 2013 6:48 pm

7. During the draft, I don't think there should be any restrictions on trading of draft picks, but I wouldn't recommend allowing owners to trade for future draft picks. That can get messy in keeper leagues.

So you're saying no trading of draft picks during the year?

I know at least a few of the guys are interested in this but im worried that things might get out of hand. If there is trading of picks in season then I would probably say more keepers are necessary? i dont know, im trying to look into the future and circumvent any problems but its not always easy to do.

Thanks for the responses!!! Any info is good info at this point.
TheBeaker
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon May 27, 2013 11:17 pm

TheBeaker wrote:

So you're saying no trading of draft picks during the year?

I know at least a few of the guys are interested in this but im worried that things might get out of hand. If there is trading of picks in season then I would probably say more keepers are necessary? i dont know, im trying to look into the future and circumvent any problems but its not always easy to do.

Thanks for the responses!!! Any info is good info at this point.

Yeah, the reason I said "that can get messy in keeper leagues" is because some owners that are out of the playoffs might start selling off their players for future draft picks...and like you said, that can get out of hand. You can always bring it up as a vote to the league. If the majority (or 75% of the owners...that's the rule for votes in some of my leagues) of the owners want to be able to trade future draft picks, then go for it. If you or your league decides to do that, I don't think more keepers are necessary.

Depending on the owners in your league, sometimes it's literally impossible to "circumvent any problems" that might come up in the future. I think the best thing to do is to make sure that you have a detailed constitution that has all the rules spelled out to everyone. Even with a detailed constitution, you still might have issues come up in the future. You just have to deal with the issues when/if they come up, and I've always found that the best way to deal with all issues is to bring it up to a league vote.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Commissioner's Corner