Draft Picks for Unused Keepers - WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Draft Picks for Unused Keepers - WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft Picks for Unused Keepers - WHIR

Postby MV3 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:52 pm

I am in a three keeper league with slight PPR. I have Lynch, Charles, Morris and Julio Jones that aI could keep. A friend has offered me a swap in draft picks for Lynch. I would get the 32nd pick (by forfeiting the 40th) and the 52nd (for the 60th).

What does the cafe think? Should I just hold tight, or should I try to flip Marshawn?
MV3
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Draft Picks for Unused Keepers - WHIR

Postby Indibuck » Wed May 22, 2013 7:05 am

You have 4 great keeper options... And it makes sense to trade one for whatever you can get. But I have Lynch as a top-6 back at this point, and I don't think you're really gaining a ton of value in this trade.

I would continue to hit up owners that have a shaky third keeper option and see if you can make a better deal.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby murphysxm » Wed May 22, 2013 9:02 am

Indibuck wrote: see if you can make a better deal.

You should be able to do much better than this. This trade vastly improves the other teams squad and barely helps yours. I'm all for getting anything out of a guy you'd throw back, but not when it helps somebody else so much.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby duffoholic » Wed May 22, 2013 1:03 pm

murphysxm wrote:
Indibuck wrote: see if you can make a better deal.

You should be able to do much better than this. This trade vastly improves the other teams squad and barely helps yours. I'm all for getting anything out of a guy you'd throw back, but not when it helps somebody else so much.

Further to this is that you are just further limiting the talent pool available in the draft by sending a guy to another team for a minimal upgrade. You should be getting a first round for a second or third kind of upgrade for a top 5-10 RB like Lynch, moving up 8 spots in the 3rd round seems almost negligible. I would much rather keep all three backs and throw back Julio than make this trade.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)

Postby mycuccismells » Fri May 31, 2013 10:18 am

Agree with the others, you need to do MUCH better than this. The first point is that if you are going to trade one of your 4 keepers you want to trade away your worst keeper, unless you are getting tremendous value in return. In a standard draft those 3 RBs are 1st round picks (lynch being projected as high as 3rd overall) and Julio is probably a fringe 2nd/3rd, you should try and keep the 3 RBs and move Julio. If you were moving Julio for this trade then it would make sense, but not those other guys.

Another avenue you can explore is trying to package up 2 of these guys for a real stud. Maybe see if the AP/Foster/Trich/Martin owners are low on keepers and would be willing to do a package of Julio and either Charles/Morris in a 2 for 1 deal.
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 358)

Postby duffoholic » Fri May 31, 2013 11:45 am

mycuccismells wrote:Another avenue you can explore is trying to package up 2 of these guys for a real stud. Maybe see if the AP/Foster/Trich/Martin owners are low on keepers and would be willing to do a package of Julio and either Charles/Morris in a 2 for 1 deal.

Normally I would say this is solid advice but I have to say, aside from getting AP or Foster back in this kind of trade, I see the potential gains as negligible. As has been said before here, you are looking at 3 of the top 10 RB's on the board so for me, moving up from the # 8 projected back to 4 or 5 while significantly boosting another team doesn't really seem worth it. In my mind, assuming AP isn't attainable, you should be able to trade Julio for a 1st round pick straight up since the first is actually a 4th to give yourself two picks in that first round.

Where do you draft right now? Is getting Julio in the draft an option if you throw him back?
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby mycuccismells » Fri May 31, 2013 12:16 pm

duffoholic wrote:Normally I would say this is solid advice but I have to say, aside from getting AP or Foster back in this kind of trade, I see the potential gains as negligible. As has been said before here, you are looking at 3 of the top 10 RB's on the board so for me, moving up from the # 8 projected back to 4 or 5 while significantly boosting another team doesn't really seem worth it. In my mind, assuming AP isn't attainable, you should be able to trade Julio for a 1st round pick straight up since the first is actually a 4th to give yourself two picks in that first round.

Where do you draft right now? Is getting Julio in the draft an option if you throw him back?

I threw Richardson and Martin in there because of their age. Charles is 26, Martin is 24 Richardson will only be turning 22 next month. I wouldnt say it is a home run by any stretch (and it would also depend on how the other team looks and whether you think you give them too large of an improvement); but I would say going from a 26 year old back to a 22 year old back in a keeper league is more than negligible. Lynch is a beast now but he has 7 years under his belt now, so it would be nice to have 2 young RBs to know you can build around for the next 5 years or so. It might help one of your opponents this year but it gives you some nice peace of mind moving forward.

Again it all depends on circumstances, but just throwing another line of thought out there.
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby duffoholic » Fri May 31, 2013 12:31 pm

mycuccismells wrote:I threw Richardson and Martin in there because of their age. Charles is 26, Martin is 24 Richardson will only be turning 22 next month. I wouldnt say it is a home run by any stretch (and it would also depend on how the other team looks and whether you think you give them too large of an improvement); but I would say going from a 26 year old back to a 22 year old back in a keeper league is more than negligible. Lynch is a beast now but he has 7 years under his belt now, so it would be nice to have 2 young RBs to know you can build around for the next 5 years or so. It might help one of your opponents this year but it gives you some nice peace of mind moving forward.

Again it all depends on circumstances, but just throwing another line of thought out there.

I hadn't thought about the age of these guys. My keeper league is only 3 years so I always forget about that side of things. Morris is a guy I'd want to hang on to and Martin is another guy I'd target taking age into consideration. TRich just doesn't strike me as a guy who will be able to ever play 16 games and beyond that, I see him being one of those guys who is always dealing with bumps and dings that make him a nightmare to keep track of the injury reports week to week.

No matter what you wind up doing, I'd be pretty pumped to be headed into the season with those three RB's, or any other RB you might land, as my core.
12 team auction (100$)
Wilson 3$, Dalton 4$
Foster $30, Charles $16, Tate 2$, Wilson 10$
V. Jackson 10$, Boldin 3$, Garcon 4$, Witten, 4$, T. Austin $5, Patterson 2$, Tate 3$, Dobson 1$
Tucker, K 1$,Tynes, K 1$
NYG D, 1$
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby mycuccismells » Fri May 31, 2013 1:53 pm

duffoholic wrote:I hadn't thought about the age of these guys. My keeper league is only 3 years so I always forget about that side of things. Morris is a guy I'd want to hang on to and Martin is another guy I'd target taking age into consideration. TRich just doesn't strike me as a guy who will be able to ever play 16 games and beyond that, I see him being one of those guys who is always dealing with bumps and dings that make him a nightmare to keep track of the injury reports week to week.

No matter what you wind up doing, I'd be pretty pumped to be headed into the season with those three RB's, or any other RB you might land, as my core.

Completely agree on Richardson being a risky guy in terms of injuries, which is why i traded him and Rice for Spiller and Morris in my keeper league last year (round considerations also made it a no brainer). The only reason i would rank him so high in a keeper league is because the guy is 21 years old and hes a beast already. He almost reminds me of Lynch in a way and they came into the league at a similar age and now 7 years later Lynch looks better than he ever has. You also have to remember that TRich was the offense last year, if they ever find a way to put some pieces around him he wouldnt take quite the beating he did this year. Pair that with maybe learning to get out of bounds once in awhile and protect his body as he matures and he could really do wonders for his longevity.

Like you said no matter what happens its ALWAYS great to have 3 solid RBs going into the year. In my keeper league im sitting on Spiller, Morris and Lamar Miller and its going to cost me rounds 12-14; feels like i already have a few wins in my pocket haha.
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby nate22 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:14 am

why downgrade your team and upgrade theirs? If they arent willing to take your third or possibly fourth option then dont bother...throw someone back and the draft will reward you for it. If they are hurting for a 3rd option they should upgrade for a minimal pick swap.
nate22
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions