Position Value Comparison Formula - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Position Value Comparison Formula

Moderator: Football Moderators

Position Value Comparison Formula

Postby drye350 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:32 pm

Does anyone have a formula they use to calculate one positions value vs another. For example taking a top teir QB like Tom Brady dosent equal Adrian Pederson's value until when?

This is what i have used for the time being. I looked at my 10 team ppr league that starts 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, Flex, TE, DEF, K. I then looked at how many of each position were drafted in my league last year to figure out the score range for each position.
Top 25 QBs, Top 60 WR, Top 50 RB and Top 20 TE

((Players Projected Fantasy Score)/(Average Points for that Position))x 100

Adrian Pederson ((Proj 327pts)/(Avg score of top 50 proj RBs ="206"))x100 = 158.40
Tom Brady ((Proj 504pts)/(Avg score of top 25 proj QBs = "376"))x100 = 134.05
Calvin Johnson ((Proj 339pts)/(Avg score of top 60 proj WRs = "216"))x100 = 156.9

Thus making Adrian Pederson a good bit more valuable. Do you think this is an accurate account for the stat im trying to produce?
drye350
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Position Value Comparison Formula

Postby Indibuck » Fri May 24, 2013 11:16 pm

I moved your post to the appropriate forum.

Your process is not that far off from what's called Value Based Drafting. Same concept, but VBD is more concerned with how a player is expected to perform versus the lowest starter in your league at each position (QB10, RB 20, etc). You've just moved the measuring stick. Either way, I think it's a valid way of comparing players at different positions to get the best bang for your buck value-wise at each pick.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 173)

Postby drye350 » Sat May 25, 2013 9:50 pm

Ok sorry to post in the wrong place. Thanks for the input.
drye350
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby srlarson » Tue May 28, 2013 4:38 pm

I have done something similar....but i would figure two numbers....I calc only on the Starters on each team......those last few picks at each position go for $1 in all auctions so no reason to let them Skew.......So I would calc what each guy spends on his starting lineup....it's an interesting analysis....I have the same group of guys for 12 years in my one auction and I can pretty much tellyou with 2-5 what each guy will spend on his starting lineup, and even down to the position. It really does helps...the key is getting the notes in a format to quickly access during the auction....so you know who your bidding against.

But i calc overall, and just starters to get the feel....you have the data simple to calc.

Good Luck!!

SRL
srlarson
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Tue May 28, 2013 6:02 pm

Interesting concept, similar to VBD as Indibuck said.

I'm using a base VBD and giving each position a "relative value" - RB and WR are 1, QB 0.75, TE 0.7, Defense 0.6, and K 0.5. Not sure i'm sold on that system, but it does rank the players about where I'd guess they should be.

I might steal the first half of your equation, though, and see how that shakes things up.
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 436)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions