is AD the clear cut 1st pick? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

is AD the clear cut 1st pick?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: is AD the clear cut 1st pick?

Postby wtr23 » Fri May 31, 2013 3:11 pm

You really can't go wrong with either guy. Foster should be the TD king this year, but I imagine this comes with a reduced workload as the Texans try to incorporate Tate and take some of the pressure off of Foster. AP is really the only option in Minnesota and demands to be fed early and often. The claims of 2500 yards seem a little out there, but I don't think the drop off from last years numbers will be significant. These guys should go 1 and 2 in most every draft, I'll be happy to roster either of them.
(sig by soty)
wtr23
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 224)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Captain Eddie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:04 am

Are you serious? Easily the #1 pick. And it is not close IMO.

Yes, the Vikings picked up two receivers this year..but Jennings just replaces Harvin, and Patterson is a rookie who may not even be a starter on opening day. What I mean by all this is the Vikings passing game will not be all that much improved...and AD will still be the focus of their offense.

Foster on the other hand already recorded his first injury of the year it OTA...surprised? Not me. He has already peaked and is becoming less productive.

I would still like Foster on my team....but NO WAY do I take him over AD.
Captain Eddie
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 79)

Postby broseph jacobs » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:26 am

I look at it this way: last year Foster averaged about 4 yards per carry, AD averaged 6. They were #1 and #2, respectively, in carries across the NFL. What does that tell us?

A) Peterson is running at a higher level, while Foster has waned a bit.

B) With Harvin gone, AD might actually get MORE touches this year.

C) with Foster's preseason injury, one wonders how much Ben Tate - now taking first team reps - will factor in to the overall game plan. It's hard to forever ignore a guy who's younger and averaged 4.3 yards per carry (which is .2 yards MORE than Foster last year)

As far as targets go, Foster only had 8 more than Peterson last year.

Bottom line for me: Peterson's yards per carry put him over the top, while Foster's # of carries are what keep him so high up. Peterson is just the better runner, hands-down.

At this point, which is still only late Spring, I opt with Adrian Peterson.
- BrosePhD

QB: Romo
RB: Martin / Lynch / Lacy / Ridley / Wilson / Michael
WR: A Johnson / VJax / Gordon /Ja. Jones / Nicks / Douglas
TE: Clay
PK: Bailey; DST: KC
(standard; 12-team)
broseph jacobs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 262)

Postby MadDog36 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:47 pm

I'd take Adrian All Day every day and really not even worry about worrying about Foster, Rice, Lynch, Megatron, Rodgers etc..
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 134)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby broseph jacobs » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:59 pm

I am starting to change my tune.

Adrian Peterson – Peterson’s abilities are on display and pass the eyeball test with flying colors every single time. Working against him is the history wherein runners never get 2,000 yards back-to-back; plus I don’t like that they got rid of Percy Harvin. I feel Minnesota making the playoffs last year was a bit of a fluke, and you need to be good in order to have a consistently heavy run game. That being said, some of the wins came on the legs of Adrian Peterson. Plus, at any time in any game he can break away for a huge TD run. Another thing to consider is the schedule the Vikings have: from a fantasy perspective, Peterson has the second worst rushing schedule out of any RB in the league. That’s not good. While many will call Peterson “matchup-proof,” there is only so long a team with a terrible quarterback can fully rely on one guy to get it done week-in and week-out, especially with a tougher schedule than last year. He will still be incredible, but I am starting to understand why people are saying he won't be able to repeat last year's performance.

Arian Foster – the first thing on everybody’s mind right now is Foster’s calf injury. Houston management is treating it as a very minor, almost ignorable injury; but it’s interesting that Foster will miss all remaining OTA’s. Foster is a smooth runner. He doesn’t try to force things. He is patient. And he gets a boatload of carries (he had the most of any back last year). That, plus I like that he is on a winning team. Never hurts the running game! To add to this, Foster has the second most favorable fantasy RB schedule in the entire league. At first I didn’t agree with Foster above Peterson, but now I am starting to see the light.

In other news, what about Doug Martin being #1? Is that crazy? Schiano is saying he wants Martin to be a three-down back, and has proven this by trading away L. Blount. Now Martin will get more touches, including receptions. He was #2 in fantasy points among RB's last year. Seems to me, if Peterson falls down a little bit in fantasy, wouldn't Martin look like the #1 guy? He's younger, has no injury worries, and is going to be used MORE than last year.
- BrosePhD

QB: Romo
RB: Martin / Lynch / Lacy / Ridley / Wilson / Michael
WR: A Johnson / VJax / Gordon /Ja. Jones / Nicks / Douglas
TE: Clay
PK: Bailey; DST: KC
(standard; 12-team)
broseph jacobs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 262)

Postby Captain Eddie » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:21 pm

Did your research reveal the the Vikings will be starting the same O Line that they did all of last year? That is almost unheard of anymore. Even if they are not all pro-bowlers ,there is something to be said for cohesion. Plus they re-signed the best blocking full back in the NFL.

AD has set his sights high. I doubt he will get 2500 yards...or even 2000, but I would not bet agains 1800 yards and 12 TDs.
Captain Eddie
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:08 pm

If I had the #1 pick

1) Id try and trade down a little to maybe 3-4 because this is a year where there are a lot of solid backs I would love to be the #1 on my team. Just look at the cafe mock draft that is going on now.

If I couldnt trade down and had to pick first I would take AP. I just feel safe with him putting up top 3 #'s. I prefer a guy that I know will be one of the top guys and get nearly every carry, 3rd down, and goal line. He fits that mold.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby srlarson » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:21 am

Hands down it's AP.......I understandthe arguments that no one has back to back 2000 yard seasons.....but we have short memories, no one had 2000 yds 9 months after a major knee issue....this guy is a stud and I will not be betting against him.

Fosters decline is shocking...and I thik will continue and we may see Tate take over this year, I feel if you get Foster you have to get Tate also.....

Martin, just not sold on that team yet.......I know he had a great year....but if I am betting on a guy to slump I would give him a higher % than AP.......

Good Luck and intersting discussion!!
srlarson
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 26)

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions