Roster Size Question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Roster Size Question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Roster Size Question

Postby vincent854 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:43 am

My 10 team league is expanding rosters to include a couple IDP players. No one in my league has ever done IDP. We are still going to have a D/ST this year but will probably transition to IDP completely next year. This would give us 12 total starters. Last year we had 10 starters and 6 bench players. Should I add any extra bench players or keep it at 6? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
vincent854
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Roster Size Question

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:32 am

vincent854 wrote:My 10 team league is expanding rosters to include a couple IDP players. No one in my league has ever done IDP. We are still going to have a D/ST this year but will probably transition to IDP completely next year. This would give us 12 total starters. Last year we had 10 starters and 6 bench players. Should I add any extra bench players or keep it at 6? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I think you need to add a couple of spots for the IDP. I would also consider adding an IR spot or 2. that way if players get hurt you can place them on IR and pick up a player without having to make tough decisions.

Ive always liked that option in my money league.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:55 am

vincent854 wrote:My 10 team league is expanding rosters to include a couple IDP players. No one in my league has ever done IDP. We are still going to have a D/ST this year but will probably transition to IDP completely next year. This would give us 12 total starters. Last year we had 10 starters and 6 bench players. Should I add any extra bench players or keep it at 6? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Cafe! This place has a lot of great info, so hopefully you'll stick around. ;-D

Like C4L said, I think that you definitely should add some bench spots if you add to your starters. Most "standard leagues" start 9 and have a 7 man bench, so your bench was a little small as it was. Since you said you're moving to 12 starters, I'd probably want to move to 10 bench players. I prefer leagues with larger benches because it gives owners a chance to take fliers on players to stash on the bench. Also, if the bench is too small, owners end up having to drop good players during bye weeks...just to pick up a player that they might only use for one week. Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby vincent854 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I would lean towards going with 8 bench guys and there is already 1 IR spot as well. I'm wondering if adding the 2 IDP players this season even makes sense. It is something that we just decided on this week. My concern is that we hadn't discussed it last season at all and in our league we are able to trade draft picks. Would adding the 2 extra players give the people with extra early picks the advantage. Let me know what you think.
vincent854
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:54 pm

vincent854 wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I would lean towards going with 8 bench guys and there is already 1 IR spot as well. I'm wondering if adding the 2 IDP players this season even makes sense. It is something that we just decided on this week. My concern is that we hadn't discussed it last season at all and in our league we are able to trade draft picks. Would adding the 2 extra players give the people with extra early picks the advantage. Let me know what you think.

I understand your concern, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. You're only adding 2 IDP spots in a 10 team league, so there will be plenty of IDP's to go around. I'm assuming this is a redraft league, so the IDP's shouldn't be drafted early anyway. I'd put it up to a league vote, and since it's a change that wasn't talked about last season, I'd want all 10 owners on board to make it an official change. If you can't get all 10 owners on board, but the majority (or maybe 75%) of the owners want the change, then maybe it's a good idea to put off the change until 2014 so all the owners are aware of the changes when they're making trades this year.

flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby vincent854 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:17 pm

It appears that the other people in the league don't want to add any extra players. That would leave 12 starters and 6 bench. I personally don't think that is enough. As the commissioner should I leave that alone even though I don't agree with it? Or should I add the 2 extra players that I want? There will always be plenty of available defensive players. No one will ever have to make any tough roster choices because they can always grab another stud off the waiver wire. Sorry for all the questions but I am pretty new at this and I have never really taken ownership of the league which I am trying to do this year.
vincent854
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:49 pm

vincent854 wrote:It appears that the other people in the league don't want to add any extra players. That would leave 12 starters and 6 bench. I personally don't think that is enough. As the commissioner should I leave that alone even though I don't agree with it? Or should I add the 2 extra players that I want? There will always be plenty of available defensive players. No one will ever have to make any tough roster choices because they can always grab another stud off the waiver wire. Sorry for all the questions but I am pretty new at this and I have never really taken ownership of the league which I am trying to do this year.

No need to apologize for all the questions! That's what the forums are for. ;-D

I agree that a 6 man bench with 12 starters is definitely not enough, but if that's what the league wants...I'd go with it. In the leagues that I commish/co-commish, we always do everything like a democracy. We vote on everything and we always do what the league wants. I've seen too many commishes treat the position as a dictatorship, and that usually ends up pissing off other owners. But you know the owners in your league. Maybe they won't put up a fuss if you just added the 2 bench spots against their wishes. If you did that, I think they might end up thanking you later.

With that said, I think you should do your best to convince the rest of the league that a 6 man bench is too small. Some reasons you can mention are that "standard" leagues start 9 and have a 7 man bench. Small benches take away what's probably the best (and most frustrating thing at times) thing about fantasy football...deciding who to start each week. Small benches will force owners to drop good players for a bye week fill-in that will most likely only be used for 1 week. Why would your owners want to drop a good player for a bye week kicker or D/ST? Small benches also take away one of the best things about the draft...those late round fliers that might end up leading you to a championship. Also, with only a 6 man bench, I bet almost none of the owners will put any IDP's on their benches because there's just not enough room. So why would they want to be forced to drop a stud IDP or an offensive player when their IDP's are on their bye weeks?

So I would do my best to convince your owners that having 12 starters should require at least an 8 man bench. If you can't convince them, and you decide not to just add the 2 spots against their wishes, then I'd play out the year with a 6 man bench, and hope that some (or all) of your owners "wake up" and agree that a 6 man bench is too small. Then you can add the bench spots next year.

flotsamnjetsam

Return to Commissioner's Corner