Rookie draft... pick #2... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Rookie draft... pick #2...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Rookie draft... pick #2...

Postby duffoholic » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:54 pm

The 8 RB's taken makes sense. I mean, everybody is hoping for this year's Morris or Martin, a guy laying in the weeds who busts out and can be a legitimate RB1. There seems to be a couple of those guys every season who, while not always the top rookie back off the board like TRich, light it up in their first season and become an instant RB1 or even franchise back.

It seems the WR position is more of an investment in that there aren't to many rookie WR's who step into the league as #1 targets for their team plus they tend to hit the sophomore slump too so you could be waiting until year three before they really bust out. Even the best rookies last year (Blackmon, Wright and Hilton maybe...) had around 800 yards and 5 TDs which sets them as middle of the road WR3s. Even guys like Megatron need a year to get going, his rookie stat line is unimpressive, although AJ Green and Julio both closed in on 1000 yards and had 7 and 8 TD respectively.

TE's... I'm not really sure what to make of the position in terms of rookies. Graham and Gronk made an immediate impact (Gronk especially), but even a guy like Gates took a year to get into the system.

Combine these things and the ceiling for a rookie running back is just way higher. If you are the lucky one who drafts the next Alfred Morris, you're set for the next couple years! It is like playing the lottery and let's face facts, fantasy football is all about gambling on sports! We just do it in a way where we can hold it over our friends and coworkers if we luck out and win big! ;)
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maestro1313 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:03 pm

That is true...

so, with that being said...
What is your the thought on success of EJ Manual, if your #1 QB is Flacco... and the free agent class is rather thin... (Rivers/Cutler/Palmer/maybe Eli)...
I'm all ready to roll with either Allen or Woods... but Having Flacco as my #1 is YECH!

Manual/Allen or Woods... and I'll leave you all alone after that...
;)
'Why does it hurt when I pee?' - F. Zappa
maestro1313
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby duffoholic » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Ugh... it pains me to say this as I hate this guy but for this year I'd rather have Eli... *shudder* (now I feel all dirty, get it off! get it off!)

I think Manuel is in a good spot though, I can see him being a solid QB in the future. Revis is no longer in the division, New England has been soft defensively for a while now, Spiller looks like he could be a solid franchise back for the coming years and they've got some young talent at WR led by Stevie Johnson. The situation he's walking into isn't too shabby and clearly Buffalo sees something there to pass on the big names in this year's draft and spend their first round pick on the guy. Counting on him and Flacco to lead your fantasy club this year though... to quote you 'YECH'.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:46 am

I'm in the market with a 1.02 pick in a dynasty league.

With Denver dropping McGehee, I think Monte Ball is poised for a really solid season. That offense will be on the filed a ton (great at converting on downs, great defense). So while it is a passing attack, the RBs will get their fair of touches.

I'm also getting caught up in the Tavon Austin hype. I am not a big fan of Sam Bradford. He has had a pedestrian career, and I wonder whether he will ever be the kind of guy who puts up gaudy numbers. That low ceiling scares me, and the fact that there are a number of other good young receivers in STL.
Cult of Dionysus
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions