Moderator: Football Moderators

R.I.P. Deacon Jones

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:42 am

One of the all time greatest players:

Deacon Jones, Hall of Fame defensive end, dies at 74
NFL.com Wire Reports
Published: June 4, 2013 at 12:56 a.m.
Updated: June 4, 2013 at 10:56 a.m.

David "Deacon" Jones, the Hall of Fame defensive end whom some consider the greatest defensive player in NFL history, died Monday at the age of 74.

The Washington Redskins, for whom Jones played his final NFL season in 1974, posted an obituary on their website Monday night after announcing the news

He died of natural causes in his Anaheim Hills, Calif., home, the Los Angeles Times reported. The newspaper cited his stepson, Greg Pinto, who said his stepfather was sick for some time, so his death wasn't unexpected. Jones was at home with his family at his bedside when he died Monday evening.

Jones' NFL career started in 1961, when he was selected by the Los Angeles Rams in the 14th round (186th overall) out of Mississippi Vocational (now known as Mississippi Valley State). Jones spent his first 11 seasons in Los Angeles, where he teamed with Merlin Olsen, Rosey Grier and Lamar Lundy to form "The Fearsome Foursome" -- one of the most famous defensive lines in NFL history. Jones was selected to seven consecutive Pro Bowls with the Rams from 1964 to 1970 and made eight overall.

Olsen died in March 2010 at age 69 and Lundy died in February 2007 at 71. Grier, who is 80, is the only surviving member of the Fearsome Foursome.

con't...

more: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... dies-at-74
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: R.I.P. Deacon Jones

Postby m16a » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:56 am

Dang. Never a happy day when a part of history goes. Prayers and good wishes out to the family. RIP, Deacon. :-/
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:44 pm

One of the NFL's all-time best. He invented the term "sack", and sacks weren't kept as an official NFL statistic until 1982. Deacon would definitely rank among the all-time sack leaders if the NFL kept records of sacks during his career. The Rams say Jones had three 20-sack seasons. Jarrett Bell of USA Today notes that Jones would have had 26 sacks in 1967, which still would be a record. And he would have done it in just 14 games. Also, he was the first DE to put up 100 solo tackles in a season. Here's another article on him:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... -own-words

RIP Deacon. :,-(

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:35 pm

RIP Deacon. My pops has always been a huge Ram's fan and always used to mention you. Truly one of the best that ever lived. You won't be forgotten.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Return to Football Talk