DRAFT STRATEGY! PLEASE HELP - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

DRAFT STRATEGY! PLEASE HELP

Moderator: Football Moderators

DRAFT STRATEGY! PLEASE HELP

Postby MRiH » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:55 pm

I've been playing Fantasy Football avidly for the last few years but last year I played seriously for the first time with friends and money. This year we're doing it again. Last year I drafted miserably. Drafted Fitz in 2nd round and he hurt. I waited on a QB and that hurt me. Picked Rivers. I'm probably going to take a QB in either the 1st or 2nd this year. Should I?

Also, Should I wait on TEs later like a Bennet or Myers or should I go after Graham or Tony G early?

I don't really know any late round backs this year early that look like good darkhorses either, any sleepers? It seems like After the initial tier of RBs this year it falls off and there is no real starter with good value late. I'm not really interested in a Bryce Brown kinda guy. The league isn't too deep. Just a 10 team

Should I get backs early?
Any insight is helpful. THANKS
MRiH
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: DRAFT STRATEGY! PLEASE HELP

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:33 pm

You'll probably get a few different ideas on this, but in my opinion:

- only draft a QB early (round 2) if you get one of the top 3 (Brees, Rodgers, Peyton)
- TE is a position you can wait on
- check out the mock draft here for ideas on the value other cafe members have for the upcoming season: http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=397
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 444)

Postby murphysxm » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:45 pm

This is not the year to draft a QB early, there is just too much depth. If I can get Gronk (if healthy), Graham or Hernandez in 3/4 I am pulling the trigger, otherwise wait and play match ups and stream at TE. There is a ton of guys I see similar and the big 3 offer a substantial upgrade.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 238)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:58 pm

I never go into a draft with a strategy. Mainly because it changes by round 2 anyway. I like to get my draft spot a week or so early then run some mocks to get an idea of what I might expect.

From there I adjust my strategy based on what happens. I try not to follow runs. Instead I try and switch gears to get the best guy at my pick. The bottom line is if you have a qb that beats the opponent by 10 points but he has a defense that beats you by 10 you gain nothing. If you follow a run you are going to lose every time.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby duffoholic » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:20 pm

Personally, in a 10 team league, I'm waiting all day for a QB. I mean, if you can land a Wilson or Netwon in 4 or 5 go for it but I'm not rushing out to get a guy. The # 10 guy to go in the Cafe Mock was RGIII but Stafford and Luck should both be around there too so you can easily get a solid starter in later rounds like 8-10.

murphysxm wrote:This is not the year to draft a QB early, there is just too much depth. If I can get Gronk (if healthy), Graham or Hernandez in 3/4 I am pulling the trigger, otherwise wait and play match ups and stream at TE. There is a ton of guys I see similar and the big 3 offer a substantial upgrade.

For TE, I agree with the above, if you can get one of these guys go for it but I'd be taking Witten over Gonzo, especially in a PPR. Tony Romo's Security Blanket.

As for the RB, I'm not really sure what you're talking about with no options outside the top tier.
A quick 10 gives:
1. AP
2. Foster
3. Martin
4. Charles
5. Lynch
6. TRich
7. Rice
8. Morris
9. Spiller
10. Shady McCoy

This leaves Mojo, SJax, Gore, Bush, Murray, Ridley, Forte, Johnson, DMC, Wilson, Ballard (or Bradshaw if he signs in Indy)... There are plenty of guys in that range who should get the bulk of the carries and be solid weekly starters. I'm really liking Sjax this year and a breakout stud. This is the first season he's had a real team in a LONG time, arguably ever and the guy is a beast. Obviously beyond this it falls off a bit as you start getting into question marks but there are a couple rookies who look to be in place to take starting jobs this year plus guys like Mendenhall and Bradshaw who could do well with the change of scenery.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 444)

Postby Bherman13 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:26 am

You go RB, RB, WR, RB and you've got an extremely solid core assuming you have decent players and don't have to reach much. But again, it just depends on the flow of the draft. Pick 2 or 3 guys you would love to have, run some mocks, and go from there. At the end of the day, You can never predict what the other 9 guys are going to do.
Bherman13
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mycuccismells » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:03 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:I never go into a draft with a strategy. Mainly because it changes by round 2 anyway. I like to get my draft spot a week or so early then run some mocks to get an idea of what I might expect.

From there I adjust my strategy based on what happens. I try not to follow runs. Instead I try and switch gears to get the best guy at my pick. The bottom line is if you have a qb that beats the opponent by 10 points but he has a defense that beats you by 10 you gain nothing. If you follow a run you are going to lose every time.

Mock drafts are the way to go, but definitely dont be so rigid with your strategy. That being said i wouldnt take a QB before round 3, maybe later in round 2 if i could still get Brees or Rodgers, but mainly im waiting until at least round 5 for my QB this year. For a TE i would reach and take Graham or Gronk around end of round 2 if i could get them, otherwise i would likely wait a bit. My basic strategy this year is the same as every year, go with RB for my first few picks but if someone falls dont be afraid to deviate.

There will always be a few RBs that kind of pop up out of nowhere so dont be afraid to load up on some towards the tail of the draft. Better to have a few extra RBs hanging around than a backup QB/TE that you only plan on using in a bye week; waste of space when you can stream when the time comes
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 378)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions