Keeper league settings advice - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions

Keeper league settings advice

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper league settings advice

Postby Hound Dogger » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:46 am

Hi, Our league is starting a keeper league and was wondering... are there standard settings as in how long you can keep?... can't keep any from top few rounds ?... if player drafted in 8th a trade for a draft pick no lower than 6th?... or are these custom rules? A few examples would be great of some of your keeper leagues. Or if you can direct me in the right direction. Thanks
Hound Dogger
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper league settings advice

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:09 am

Hound Dogger wrote:Hi, Our league is starting a keeper league and was wondering... are there standard settings as in how long you can keep?... can't keep any from top few rounds ?... if player drafted in 8th a trade for a draft pick no lower than 6th?... or are these custom rules? A few examples would be great of some of your keeper leagues. Or if you can direct me in the right direction. Thanks

Welcome to the Cafe! This place has a lot of great info, so hopefully you'll stick around. ;-D

There are so many different types of keeper leagues and keeper rules. I'm not sure if there are any "standard settings" on how long you can keep players, but I think that the most basic keeper leagues allow you to keep players with no draft pick penalty and for as long as you want. That's how it works in my only keeper league.

But some keeper leagues don't allow anyone to keep players from the top few rounds. In some keeper leagues you lose the draft pick from the round the player was drafted in. In some keeper leagues you lose the draft pick from the round the player was drafted in and then that penalty increases in future years (lose 7th rounder, then 5th rounder, then 3rd rounder, etc.). Some keeper leagues only allow owners to keep players for a certain number of years. The possibilities are endless. Hope that helps a little and good luck! ;-D

PS: Here's a decent article on keeper leagues:

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantas ... y/10877114

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby duffoholic » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:21 pm

Personally I'm a big fan of rewarding owners who make good decisions in the draft while also keeping the top talent in the pool every year. In my mind the best way to accomplish this in a simple keeper league is by adding 2 years to the previous year's draft position. So the guy who drafted Doug Martin in the 7th last year can keep him for a 5th this year but Arian Foster who went first overall is back in the pool as first and second rounders are not keepable.

As for the number of keepers allowed, it totally depends on your league and what the owners want. I would say less than 5 is ideal, more than that and you start getting into dynasty territory which is an entirely different kettle of fish!

A format like this rewards those owners who draft really well in the later rounds while still keeping the owners who miss in those rounds in the game every year since the majority of the top players at each position wind up back in the draft every year and if draft position is reverse based on last years performance (worst gets first) those less lucky owners get a good crack at the top players.

Really though, the options are endless; look around and see what suits you.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)

Postby jfarrell24 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:13 pm

My keeper league is set up exactly how you see above, where you can keep a player by paying for him 2 rounds higher than where you drafted him last year. For example if you drafted Amendola in round 12 last year, you can keep him for a round 10 pick this year.
jfarrell24
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 34)

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions