Auction draft strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Auction draft strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Auction draft strategy

Postby teach42 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:35 am

Non ppr keeper league, ten teams, $50 salary. Can keep up to 2. QB, 2rb, 2wr, flex, te

This year, my keepers are going to be Lynch at 4.75 and Spiller at 5.

This is a league that can start 3 rb's and they always go off the board at a premium. It's not unusual for the top 3 or so rb's to go for 20-25 in auction.

Rice, McCoy and Charles will all be avail in auction. Thinking about taking one of them for 20 and having a three headed monster at RB.

QB is so deep, and I should be able to get mid level wrs and just rotate them around.

What d you think f this strategy? And if I go this route, which of those three do you think I should aim for? I'm think Rice just because you know EXACTLY what yer getting from him.
teach42
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Auction draft strategy

Postby rikishiboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:44 am

Don't target a particular one of those guys...since it is an auction the 1st one brought up for bidding will most likely be the cheapest. Some owners try and balnce themselves early on thus making the best bargins of the top guys being found early on.
rikishiboy
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teach42 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:14 am

That's funny, I've always found the middle one goes cheapest! People
Overpay for the first, everyone makes fun of them so the second goes cheaper. And then people panic on the last one in a tier.

I bet there's a fantastic psych thesis on studying behaviors during an auction draft.
teach42
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 10)

Postby duffoholic » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:15 am

I love the auction style. Can I ask why your league does a 50$ cap? Seems like an odd number to choose and getting into quarters seems needlessly complicated.
Anyway, keeping those two guys for under 10$ is great. I've never been a huge fan of the all your eggs in one basket approach to an auction but with the two cheaper top 10 guys you should be okay. Targeting one of those three though, you are probably going to over pay since they are the only studs in the draft. McCoy is the guy you might be able to get for a good price since he had such a crappy year last year. This does, however only leave you with 20$ to buy the rest of your team. I assume you can bid as low as .25$ on players? I guess if you're okay with having a pretty mediocre group of WR's and a matchup based TE, you should be able to make this work. Personally, I prefer depth and well-roundedness to heavy skill in three guys.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)

Postby rikishiboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:05 pm

teach42 wrote:That's funny, I've always found the middle one goes cheapest! People
Overpay for the first, everyone makes fun of them so the second goes cheaper. And then people panic on the last one in a tier.

I bet there's a fantastic psych thesis on studying behaviors during an auction draft.

That is one of the cool things about auctions, every one has its differences. for the most part for me it is top guys are cheaper early, because some want to let others spend money early. In phase 2 they panic, because they realize they missed out and overspend for lesser talent. Then in the later phases the guy with little money is still getting decent guys for real cheap.

It is better to overpay for a stud, than to underpay for the average joe.
rikishiboy
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions