Brent Celek v. Jared Cook - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Brent Celek v. Jared Cook

Moderator: Football Moderators

Brent Celek v. Jared Cook

Postby taw856 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:53 pm

Just starting my draft prep, and in the course of making adjustments, I have my first set of outliers I'd like input on.

At tight end, my initial projections had Brent Celek #8 and Jared Cook #21. It seems clear to me that no one else has Celek that high and no one else has Cook that low -- and that alone is reason to adjust them towards each other at least a bit in order to have a good draft board, regardless of what I may think.

But I'd nevertheless like the Cafe's opinion. Why so scared of Celek losing looks to Ertz and Casey, the former of whom at least has great potential but neither of whom have put up significant numbers at the NFL level; yet not scared that Cook, who wasn't exactly prolific in Tennessee, will be even less productive in a system that produced Lance Kendricks putting up even worse numbers than Cook?

Thanks!
BOLD PICKS FOR 2013
A. Rodgers outscores D. Brees in ESPN standard scoring by 40+.
D. McFadden plays 16 games (but ineffectively for someone whose only problem we always assumed was health).
M. Lynch=not a Top 10 RB.
V. Cruz=Top 7 WR.
G. Tate=Top 36 WR.
taw856
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 183)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Brett Celek v. Jared Cook

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:27 pm

For me it's more about how the offense has changed in Philly. I'm not sure how well his skill set and athleticism match Chip's craziness. I am not a Cook guy, but I'll take his upside over Celek who I feel has peaked. I probably will not own either.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Re: Brent Celek v. Jared Cook

Postby mzkp54 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:33 pm

Yeah I significantly prefer Cook to Celek. You don't give a player the type of contract the Rams gave Cook without planning on getting him seriously involved. And I wouldn't feel remotely comfortable with Celek penciled in as my weekly starter
mzkp54
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 233)

Postby Jason497 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:25 am

taw856 wrote:Just starting my draft prep, and in the course of making adjustments, I have my first set of outliers I'd like input on.

At tight end, my initial projections had Brent Celek #8 and Jared Cook #21. It seems clear to me that no one else has Celek that high and no one else has Cook that low -- and that alone is reason to adjust them towards each other at least a bit in order to have a good draft board, regardless of what I may think.

But I'd nevertheless like the Cafe's opinion. Why so scared of Celek losing looks to Ertz and Casey, the former of whom at least has great potential but neither of whom have put up significant numbers at the NFL level; yet not scared that Cook, who wasn't exactly prolific in Tennessee, will be even less productive in a system that produced Lance Kendricks putting up even worse numbers than Cook?

Thanks!

It's not the offense, Lance Kendricks is just a scrub.

Brian Schottenheimer is the OC in STL, his offense before coming to STL saw Dustin Keller (with garbage at QB) pile up 55 for 687 and 5TD in 2010 and 65 for 815 and 5TD in 2011.

Jared Cook got an obscenely huge contract which tells me he's going to be used as an every down TE...and since he's garbage as a blocker, it leads me to believe they plan on featuring him as a receiver and lining him up all over the formation to get him the ball.

Jared Cook only played like 50% of the snaps in Tennessee (because he sucks as a blocker) and still put up TE2 numbers, I think his situation has improved drastically enough to give him legit TE1 potential, he could end up finishing along the same lines as Rudolph/Pitta/Davis but you can get him considerably later.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Postby JOBOOZOSO » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:27 pm

I have Cook at 14, and Celek at 21.

Pretty big gap.
Last edited by JOBOOZOSO on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JOBOOZOSO
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby mycuccismells » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:54 am

mzkp54 wrote:Yeah I significantly prefer Cook to Celek. You don't give a player the type of contract the Rams gave Cook without planning on getting him seriously involved. And I wouldn't feel remotely comfortable with Celek penciled in as my weekly starter

This is why im "high" on Cook this year, especially with the loss of Amendola and Jackson you figure opportunity is there to be had. They dont really have any of their go-to guys coming back this year so you figure it will be wide open for him and Austin and all of those young RBs to cut out their niche in the offense. I think training camp and preseason will be huge to see who the team begins to trust as well as who Bradford develops that chemistry with.

Celek will always be the guy who has a couple of nice games and then falls off for a month, whereas i think the floor will be a lot higher with Cook this year. That being said i want nothing to do with either of these guys as anything more than a backup
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 358)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions