Numerous mocks are in... what do you think? WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Numerous mocks are in... what do you think? WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Numerous mocks are in... what do you think? WHIR

Postby bigdogg712 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:07 am

MOCK DRAFT #1

I had the 4th pick in a 10 team league.

1. Jamaal Charles
2. Drew Brees
3. Julio Jones
4. Andre Johnson
5. Wes Welker
6. Lamar Miller
7. Eddie Lacy
8. Rashard Mendenhall
9. Miles Austin
10. Jeremy Maclin
11. Emmanuel Sanders
12. Fred Jackson
13. Andy Dalton
14. Steelers DST
15. Matt Bryant
16. Zach Miller

What do you think? I think i did pretty well for my first draft of the year.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

MOCK DRAFT #2
I had the 7th pick, hoping to land Jamaal Charles. Unfortunately, he was drafted at the 6th spot. I still think I did pretty well. 10 team league, standard scoring...

1. Trent Richardson
2. Steven Jackson
3. Darren McFadden
4. Andre Johnson
5. Wes Welker
6. Le'veon Bell
7. Matthew Stafford
8. Greg Jennings
9. RGIII
10. Shane Vereen
11. Mike Williams
12. Emmanuel Sanders
13. Brandon Myers
14. Bengals DST
15. Zach Miller
16. David Akers

I think I did fairly well. Zach Miller will be a stud this year. Hear me now, believe me later. Wilson loved him in the playoffs, and that trend in continuing into the season! If RGIII gets healthy, Stafford will be a great trading piece and my team could get even better! I think Sanders will be "Mike Wallace 2.0" this year. And I've got either McFadden or Jennings to play in the FLEX. I really like this draft.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

MOCK DRAFT #3

I had the 5th Pick in a 10 team mock draft. Unfortunately, 4 teams were unfilled, so the computer auto picked for them.

Anyways, I decided to have a strong running game before looking at the rest of my team.

1. Jamaal Charles
2. Chris Johnson
3. Maurice Jones-Drew
4. Larry Fitzgerald
5. Reggie Wayne
6. Lamar Miller
7. Russell Wilson
8. Greg Jennings
9. Torrey Smith
10. Jeremy Maclin
11. Fred Jackson
12. Michael Vick
13. Daryl Richardson
14. Buccaneers DST
15. Phil Dawson
16. Zach Miller

I think that I got great depth. Richardson is the starter in StL, Jackson will take over for Spiller if he gets hurt, and if Wilson has a sophomore slump, Vick (who will be the Eagles starter), will be a great fantasy producer in Chip Kellys Offense.

MOCK DRAFT #4

I decided to pick a little later in this one, seeing as on draft day I won't be able to choose where I draft. I had the 9th overall spot (10 total teams), and took Calvin. Im not too huge on Morris (the only other RB at the end of round 1) or taking a QB this early, and I wanted to try a new strategy. So, tell me what you think!

1. Calvin Johnson
2. LeSean McCoy
3. Roddy White
4. Darren McFadden
5. Jordy Nelson
6. Eddie Lacy
7. Lamar Miller
8. Le'Veon Bell
9. Ben Roethlisberger
10. Ahmad Bradshaw
11. Emmanuel Sanders
12. Fred Jackson
13. Andy Dalton
14. Steelers DST
15. Zach Miller
16. Phil Dawson

I know I've said this after every draft, but I think this may very well be my best one yet! I love my WR duo in Megatron and White, and my RBs aren't shabby either... McCoy will have a good year with Chip Kelly, and if McFadden doesn't work, I've got a ton of sleepers, rookies, backups for injury prone starters (Fred Jackson), and Ahmad Bradshaw who just got signed by the Colts! I waited a bit long on my QB, though. Ben was on pace to be an MVP candidate last year until he got injured. Im hoping he can do it again. If not, I don't see Dalton having a bad year. Certainly one will be a top 10 QB and viable to start in a 10 team league.

MOCK DRAFT #5

I had the 6th overall pick (out of 10) with the hopes of being able to grab a good running back in round 1, and still having great round 2 talent at RB available with my next pick. I think I did okay here. I really like my running backs, but my wide receivers are a little weak, so I added veteran depth behind my starters. I think I must like the players with the long dread locks...

1. Marshawn Lynch
2. Steven Jackson
3. Chris Johnson
4. Larry Fitzgerald
5. Marques Colston
6. Steve Smith
7. Greg Jennings
8. Andrew Luck
9. Rashard Mendenhall
10. Mark Ingram
11. Sidney Rice
12. Shonn Greene
13. Jacquizz Rodgers
14. Martellus Bennett
15. Buccaneers DST
16. Josh Brown

Overall, I think I had a pretty solid first go. I posted all these as separate questions on yahoo answers, so thats why some of them are a little repetitive. What do you gurus think? Good? Bad? Ugly? What should I look for in the future? And, if you couldn't tell, I am ALL in on Jamaal Charles this year.

What I would like to end up doing, is compiling my own spreadsheet of ADPs from my own mock drafts. I feel more comfortable using drafts I did rather than drafts on some website. I have saved all of the picks for every draft for every team.

Thanks!
Last edited by bigdogg712 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bigdogg712 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: First three Mocks are in... what do you think? WHIR

Postby duffoholic » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:01 am

Draft 1:
Looks solid. I like the Lacy, Miller, Mendy RB2 by committee. I think one of those guys will blow up this year giving you a solid #2 (my money is on Mendy).

Draft 2:
I'm not as confident in this draft as you are. I don't see Welker being as dependable as he has been in years past, especially at the start of the season. That being said, it feels like DMC was a wasted pick for that could have shored up your WRs.

Draft 3: I didn't really look at this one much. All in all I still find it hard to judge 10 teamers... They all always look good on paper until you see the on team with AP and Martin or something silly like that. I'm much more well versed in 12 and 14 team leagues where depth is hard to come by and really stands out when it is achieved.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)

Postby Jason497 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:22 am

I agree about Wes Welker, I think he is being vastly overdrafted. Welker's already been quoted as saying the Broncos are in trouble if he's catching the same amount of balls as he did in NE.

With a different WR for your 5th rounder I feel like I would really like the 2nd draft. I don't really share your optimism on Zach Miller, They throw the least amount in the league and Harvin is going to command an outlandish amount of targets. 48 yards and 0 TDs against the Skins who gave up the 2nd most fantasy points to TEs wasn't domination, though he did dominate Atlanta but that doesn't convince me he'll be a stud. We'll see I guess.

I don't really share your optimism on Sanders as "Wallace 2.0"...his numbers will see an uptick but his talent level isn't on par with Wallace. I think Wheaton will play a bigger role than people realize. I still like Sanders where he is being drafted though, as a WR5 if he can pile up 800-900 yards I'll take that.

I like that you're willing to make some bold predictions on sleepers though, if you are right you're going hit big.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Postby bigdogg712 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:58 pm

I think its really funny... The drafts I like the most, you don't seem to like as much. Well I did another mock (#4). Im going to post it above. I hop you'll like this one. I went with a bit different strategy. I went real heavy on my WRs early, ignoring the RBs, then filling them in later with sleepers and rookies. Tell me what you think. Thanks!
bigdogg712 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bigdogg712 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:19 pm

Jason497 wrote:I agree about Wes Welker, I think he is being vastly overdrafted. Welker's already been quoted as saying the Broncos are in trouble if he's catching the same amount of balls as he did in NE.

With a different WR for your 5th rounder I feel like I would really like the 2nd draft. I don't really share your optimism on Zach Miller, They throw the least amount in the league and Harvin is going to command an outlandish amount of targets. 48 yards and 0 TDs against the Skins who gave up the 2nd most fantasy points to TEs wasn't domination, though he did dominate Atlanta but that doesn't convince me he'll be a stud. We'll see I guess.

I don't really share your optimism on Sanders as "Wallace 2.0"...his numbers will see an uptick but his talent level isn't on par with Wallace. I think Wheaton will play a bigger role than people realize. I still like Sanders where he is being drafted though, as a WR5 if he can pile up 800-900 yards I'll take that.

I like that you're willing to make some bold predictions on sleepers though, if you are right you're going hit big.

Thanks. I agree with a lot of what your saying. What WR would you target in that spot over Welker? 5th round seems to be very bare with talent. Well, not bare, but it seems like 5th round doesn't have any 5th rounders... its all a bunch of guys who should be 6, 7, or 8th round guys that are being over drafted.

Anyways, I added another draft. Im curious to see what you have to say about that one.
bigdogg712 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bigdogg712 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:27 pm

duffoholic wrote:Draft 1:
Looks solid. I like the Lacy, Miller, Mendy RB2 by committee. I think one of those guys will blow up this year giving you a solid #2 (my money is on Mendy).

Draft 2:
I'm not as confident in this draft as you are. I don't see Welker being as dependable as he has been in years past, especially at the start of the season. That being said, it feels like DMC was a wasted pick for that could have shored up your WRs.

Draft 3: I didn't really look at this one much. All in all I still find it hard to judge 10 teamers... They all always look good on paper until you see the on team with AP and Martin or something silly like that. I'm much more well versed in 12 and 14 team leagues where depth is hard to come by and really stands out when it is achieved.

I agree about Welker. Theres not much talent in the 5th round. Everyone there seems like Id be reaching too high to get them. Welker seemed to fit there. I think hell be much like decker last year, but maybe a bit better. In NE, they had TEs to throw to, in DEN, they have other WRs to throw to. He's had to compete for balls with Brady, so Idont really think he will take that big of a step back. Anyways, I don't remember who was there in the 3rd round to take other than McFadden. Maybe I could've taken a WR there, and in the 4th, then taken a running back in the 5th?

Well, I've done a new draft, and Id like your comments on it. Thanks.
bigdogg712 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: Numerous mocks are in... what do you think? WHIR

Postby duffoholic » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Well, to me, Draft 4 looks like the most well rounded of the 4. As you said, DMC is a total gamble but you've got your bets hedged with Lacy, Bell, Miller and Bradshaw. One of those three should come up with a decent season for sure. I'm not sure I agree about Ben or Red landing in the top 10 but I also don't think they will let you down... QB is just so damned deep it is hard to see them doing better than Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Cam, Peyton, Wilson, Ryan, Luck, and two of RGIII/Stafford/Kaep/Romo/Eli. I also think you'll be playing the matchups at TE all season with Miller as I'm not as confident as you that his is a every week starter at the position but then only a handful are. I'd be happy with this squad though. That is a pretty solid top 3 WRs that should be starters week in, week out. Nice work!

As for your WR question... looking at the Cafe 12 man mock, Welker went at 4.10. Guys who I'd rather have who went in the next round would include Nicks, Bowe, Stevie Johnson and I'd even take a chance on Torrey Smith. I just don't see Welker playing the same role in Denver. Him and Brady played together for the better part of a decade; their timing was unparalleled and they were on the same page with everything. Peyton has already developed that security blanket with Decker. Sure, Welker will still see some balls and red zone looks will definitely happen but even he has said that the team is in big trouble if he is catching 100+ balls this season. It just isn't the game plan there. Time will tell on this one. Maybe I look the fool come November... :)
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby Jason497 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:21 pm

Draft 4 is very solid, but I don't like the QB situation (and well, we've already been over the TE situation last post).

I feel like Eddie Lacy was a reach there, I like Lamar Miller and Leveon Bell better who you got the next 2 rounds. I think you could have addressed QB in the 6th round instead and then in the 9th round taken a TE that wasn't as much of a gamble as Miller. I would have been drooling over that team then.

Not high on Big Ben this year. Not only did he lose Mike Wallace but Heath Miller shredded his knee. Both his top 2 targets gone, plus his RT got stabbed and his LT signed with SD...it could be a down year for him. He won't fall off the map or anything but I like him as a QB2 rather than a QB1.

Unless you have a couple flex spots or you think you can flip some guys in trades, I don't see the benefit of loading up on all those backup RBs at the expense of other starting positions.

I really like Mcfadden in the 4th btw. Back in a power blocking scheme and no one to vulture, he has top 10 potential (if he stays healthy) and you got him in the 4th round. I'm a gambling man, at that price he's worth it I think. I only play in 12+ teamers, if he falls to me in the 4th though I'm all over him.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Postby bigdogg712 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:45 pm

Jason497 wrote:Draft 4 is very solid, but I don't like the QB situation (and well, we've already been over the TE situation last post).

I feel like Eddie Lacy was a reach there, I like Lamar Miller and Leveon Bell better who you got the next 2 rounds. I think you could have addressed QB in the 6th round instead and then in the 9th round taken a TE that wasn't as much of a gamble as Miller. I would have been drooling over that team then.

Not high on Big Ben this year. Not only did he lose Mike Wallace but Heath Miller shredded his knee. Both his top 2 targets gone, plus his RT got stabbed and his LT signed with SD...it could be a down year for him. He won't fall off the map or anything but I like him as a QB2 rather than a QB1.

Unless you have a couple flex spots or you think you can flip some guys in trades, I don't see the benefit of loading up on all those backup RBs at the expense of other starting positions.

I really like Mcfadden in the 4th btw. Back in a power blocking scheme and no one to vulture, he has top 10 potential (if he stays healthy) and you got him in the 4th round. I'm a gambling man, at that price he's worth it I think. I only play in 12+ teamers, if he falls to me in the 4th though I'm all over him.

Im a huge pittsburgh fan and I didn't even realize everything that'd happened this offseason. Wow. Your Right. Bell might be able to help him out a bit though, but without Miller and an already shaky OLine, he's in for a tough year. Do you think the OLine effects LeVeon Bells value at all?
bigdogg712 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby duffoholic » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:25 pm

bigdogg712 wrote:Im a huge pittsburgh fan and I didn't even realize everything that'd happened this offseason. Wow. Your Right. Bell might be able to help him out a bit though, but without Miller and an already shaky OLine, he's in for a tough year. Do you think the OLine effects LeVeon Bells value at all?

It HAS to hurt his value. I'm not sure why people are so high on Bell this year. Pittsburg dropped from 14th in rushing in 2011 to 26th in 2012 and the blame for that can only be partially placed on the revolving door of RBBC that has been going on there. The O-line has been shaky at best and the loss of downfield targets only further enhances the potential problems of frequent blitzes and 8 or 9 in the box that the offence will likely be seeing this season. Also, Rothlisberger is starting to show wear as he seems to be getting hurt more frequently and the options beyond him have been less than stellar of late. I see this team missing the playoffs year and playing from behind more often than not as the offence will struggle to gain first downs and the defence isn't what it once was; again, not a good situation for a RB.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions