Article... We need your help please. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to 2013 Cafe Mock Draft

Article... We need your help please.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Article... We need your help please.

Postby Indibuck » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:04 pm

At the conclusion of the draft, I am going to write an article for the Cafe in regards to our mock. The good news is that those of you that don't have the mock drafter icon yet will receive it with this article submission.

I need your help with a few things, please.

I will be uploading your rosters into the article. I ask that you please go to the rosters thread and add what pick you selected your players at... So each player on your roster would look something like:

QB Peyton Manning DEN (3.11)

If each owner does it, it makes importing rosters and formatting a lot easier and much less time consuming. I say thank you in advance. ;-D

Also, as we are concluding the draft, I am asking each drafter to please fill out a short questionnaire. I will post this right under this message, you can copy/paste as a response to this thread with your answers.

Thank you for being part of our mock draft and for staying on top of your rosters to this point. Let's finish strong!
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Article... We need your help please.

Postby Indibuck » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:13 pm

This only works if we can get every owner to do one... thank you for your effort. you may answer each question with as much or little explanation as you choose, but keep in mind, we are writing an article about this mock, so any pertinent information you can share will help readers understand what you did. Thanks again.

MOCK DRAFT QUESTIONNAIRE

1. Coming in to the draft, did you have a plan? Were you able to stick with your plan throughout the draft, or were you forced to change tactics at some point?

2. My best pick was:

3. My shakiest pick was:

4. I feel like my team will be in contention if:

5. I think my team will be a cellar dweller if:

6. Besides my own team, I think the best team in the league is:

7. I think the shakiest team from the draft is:
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Indibuck » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:27 pm

Guys, this is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Thank you!
Questionnaire
Sent: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:09 pm
by jgmahan

MOCK DRAFT QUESTIONNAIRE

1. Coming in to the draft, did you have a plan? Were you able to stick with your plan throughout the draft, or were you forced to change tactics at some point?

My plan was to hopefully get one of my top rated QB's (Brees, Rodgers, or Manning - in that order) which I was happy to see come to fruition as I took Brees at 02.07. I really think Brees has a huge year in 2013 with his coach and play caller back at the helm. And while some will argue you can wait on QB and settle for the likes of Eli or Stafford; I would argue that Brees will outscore them over the course of the year (and per week) much more significantly compared to the difference between WR's taken in similar rounds. In today's NFL, 30 TD's is the norm, which means everyone has a QB on their fantasy team that can do that, so to gain an advatange, you need one that will throw 40 and has the upside for 50. I have that.

From that point, my strategy was to take the best WR or RB that fell to me in every round and wait on TE, K, and DST until the last possible moment. This worked out as I landed some talented players (albeit some questions marks) in later rounds and am really pleased with my overall depth and upside.

2. My best pick was:

I promise I am not a Saints fan, but I think my best pick was Lance Moore at 10.07. Again, he has an elite QB who trusts him and who loves to throw. The whole team will be playing with a vengeance after their coach was unceremoniously suspended for the entire 2012 season, and people forget Lance had 1000 yards and 6 TD's last year. Maybe best of all, the Saints really did nothing to upgrade their WR corp so assuming they don't add someone significant in free agency, Lance will continue to get targets each and every week for a team that will likely score close to 30 points per game. Oh ya, and I got that in the 10th round when the likes of Greg Olsen, Justin Blackmon, and Bernard Pierce were coming off the board.

3. My shakiest pick was:

This is a tie between Jeremy Maclin at 06.07 and Desean Jackson at 07.06. I don't know what it is, but I end up drafting these guys every year. They both have been very boom or bust over the last couple years and they are both coming off relatively "down" years. With that said, they still combined for almost 1800 yds and 11 TD's with a beat up O-line, a coach on autopilot, and a QB whose running for his life often ended up in inaccurate passes. I think if Chip Kelly can make Mike Vick comfortable, then the sky is the limit for this WR tandem. I am also made more comfortable by the injury risk of both by essentially having each others handcuff. If one is hurt, then the others production usually increases enough that they become must start options in fantasy; and acting as duo for my WR3, I'll take that.

I went with relatively safe, consistent options in the first 4 rounds with Rice, Brees, Roddy, and Jordy. If my Eagles aren't grounded and Ryan Mathews comes anything close to the form he was supposedly supposed to reach; I think my team will be sitting pretty. One of my 3 RB fliers breaking out due to injury or opportunity wouldn't hurt either! One Arian Foster ankle tweak and my 9th round pick becomes a first round value.

If my RB fliers stay in their timeshares and my risky picks (Mathews, Eagle WR's) continue to underwhelm. That is another reason I like to take Brees. Few QB's have the ability to win you a week by themselves, but Drew Brees can. If I get a few boom games from my risky picks then hopefully Brees can help me survive their bust weeks.

6. Besides my own team, I think the best team in the league is: I think the best team (other than my own) is cordscords Pack Attack. He has explosive talent everywhere; including his bench! He also has a lot of injury risk, but he backed it up with solid depth, especially at RB and QB. Other than Pack Attack, I also like Indibuck's Buzz Killingtons, although I don't expect a repeat from Luck with a new run first offense. The rest of the team is loaded however. From there Devil Docs Predators and Stelly's Titus Young's Tow Shop are solid with good benches.

Guru has been bitten by the early draft curse. He has lost Crabtree, Ballard now has Bradshaw to compete with and Hernandez might be going to jail. Otherwise, I think this would be quite a competitive league.
Indibuck

Postby Guru13 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:27 pm

I rarely go into a draft with a concrete plan. I believe that in order to have a successful fantasy draft, one has to be able to adjust and adapt to players coming off the board unexpectedly. Certainly I had targets, Alshon Jeffery being one in particular I was happy to land later in the draft, but as a whole I didn't come in with a specific plan.

2. My best pick was:

Danny Amendola at 6.11. In light of the Patriot's recent receiver woes, if he can stay healthy (and his injuries to this point in his career have been rather flukey) he's almost guaranteed to turn in an impressive year.

3. My shakiest pick was:

I'm going to exclude Aaron Hernandez and Michael Crabtree because obviously their situations were impossible to foresee but I'd say Vick Ballard. I did draft him prior to the Colts' signing of Ahmad Bradshaw but there were already questions about his ability prior to the signing. I'd need a Bradshaw injury (not out of the question) for him to make an impact on my squad.

My second and third round picks respective seasons (careers) didn't come to an abrupt end immediately after I drafted them. In all seriousness though, this squad is largely boom or bust. Lacy, Nicks, Amendola, Britt, Jeffery and Cameron all have incredibly high ceilings but equally low floors. With some luck I might sneak into the playoffs and get hot at the right time.

If Arian Foster's tremendous workload catches up to him this season I'm in big trouble. Injuries could also be a big issue for me, but considering Crabtree's injury and Hernandez's idiocy, I had to take some chances.

Stelly put together a really solid squad. Sproles and Richardson provide great RB depth and I'm a huge Cecil Shorts fan. Stafford throws nonstop and Martellus Bennett has great upside. Really, really solid squad.

jgmahan has some elite players with Brees and Ray Rice but if Mathews struggles again as I suspect he will, there's no one to fill the void. I'd also worry about either of the Philly receivers as consistent starters and there's not much behind them. However I love the Broyles pick in the 13th, he could step up big. Pettigrew is solid but he's unlikely to carry a squad.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:32 pm

MOCK DRAFT QUESTIONNAIRE

My plan is typically to draft the best player available, considering the needs of my team in later rounds. I feel I stuck to that, the only potential "reach" pick I had was Pitta in the seventh. There had been a slew of TE's taken at that point, and I wanted to make sure I grabbed one that was gonna be productive to fill out my starting lineup.

2. My best pick was:

Zac Stacy in the 9th. With the lackluster showing of the Rams backup RB's last season, I expect that Stacy will be the starter this season, and put up numbers similar to Steven Jackson's last year (1042 yards /4 TD's on the ground, 38 receptions/321 yards /0 TD's receiving) but with more touchdowns. The addition of Austin to the offense should open up the run game some, and that will give whoever the starter in St. Louis is a good year. And for my money, that guy is gonna be Stacy.

3. My shakiest pick was:

Trent Richardson. There's a the injury bug issue, and a lot of naysayers out there who have huge question marks on him. At the time I made the pick, he had been held out of minicamp, and there was a bunch of press out there questioning his durability and how good he can be without a full off season regimen. The word on him is better now than when I drafted him, but there are still plenty of folks out there who question him and call him an injury risk. Basically, this team would rely on Trent to have a good season to be in contention, and with the questions about him, I'd have to call this my shakiest pick.

Richardson stays healthy, Stacy comes through, and Welker develops a good rapport with Peyton like he did with Brady. That seems to be a lot of ifs, but the only one that I think is truly questionable is Stacy.

Any of the above doesn't happen. I don't think my team has tremendous depth, so taking a hit in any position would be detrimental to the success of this team.

Birds of War. I like the balance on that team, Peterson will be huge, Brady will be, well, Brady, and
Pack Attack is a close second, but I just don't like his RB's, I don't think he has a true #1 guy there.

Gotta go with Guru, he lost too many guys since we started the draft, and that's gotta hurt!
Other than that, I'd say Stevoo, but I am biased against a lot of his players (Bell, Harvin, Jackson, Pead)
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 444)

Return to 2013 Cafe Mock Draft