"Dad and Me" league question? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

"Dad and Me" league question?

Moderator: Football Moderators

"Dad and Me" league question?

Postby Aaron's Arsenal » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:14 pm

I am starting a new league at work for fathers and their kids to play. The goal is to try to introduce our kids to Fantasy football. I am wanting to try to keep the kids and the adults separate(two divisions), so the kids don't play against the adults.
Does anyone know of a platform, or a league setting on a platform, that could allow me to keep the kids from playing the adults in the playoffs? I can do it during the season, but trying to find a way to have an "adult winner" and a "kid winner".
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated! ;-D
Aaron's Arsenal
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: "Dad and Me" league question?

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Aaron's Arsenal wrote:I am starting a new league at work for fathers and their kids to play. The goal is to try to introduce our kids to Fantasy football. I am wanting to try to keep the kids and the adults separate(two divisions), so the kids don't play against the adults.
Does anyone know of a platform, or a league setting on a platform, that could allow me to keep the kids from playing the adults in the playoffs? I can do it during the season, but trying to find a way to have an "adult winner" and a "kid winner".
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated! ;-D

Sounds like you're trying to have 2 separate leagues, but with only 1 player pool. I'm not sure how that would work or if it's possible without just manually setting matchups all the way through the playoffs. Why not have 2 separate player pools? I'm not sure if this will help, but last year I was in an "expert" league where we had 24 owners in 2 separate conferences...broken down into 3 divisions of 4 (in each conference). Each conference had it's own player pool, and the winner of each conference met in the finals. So basically it was 2 separate leagues within 1, and the winner of each league met in the finals to determine the overall winner. This sounds like exactly what you want...minus the part where the winner of each conference/league meets in the finals. The league was hosted on myfantasyleague.com (MFL), and here's the link to the league:

http://football25.myfantasyleague.com/2012/home/65904#0

I know that MFL allows you to manually set matchups in the playoffs, so maybe that might work for you. Hope that helps and good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby NCFF Commish » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:39 pm

I think the primary thing you would be looking for in the platform is the ability to create and/or update the league schedule. There are lots of different places that provide this. I have seen this on myfantasyleague, fleaflicker, and on Yahoo!, although I am sure that others do too.

How many fathers and kids are we talking here? If it's 5 pairs, then make 2 divisions (Dads and Kids). Play everyone in your division twice and all in the other division once (13 games). Have 2 division winners get byes and next four best teams also in playoffs.

If you are talking about something bigger, then 2 player pools may be how you want to go.

And here is another idea: let dad and kid each have separate teams, but the league is looking for the best success from the pair. If there is an 8-team Dads league and an 8-team kid's league, have each team play all others in the division twice (14 weeks). Then, add the record of each Dad-kid pair. Say Dad A goes 9-5 and Kid A goes 6-8. Team A Combined goes 15-13. Then have the top 3 pairs (by combined record then by combined points scored) play in a 3 team playoff with the top seed getting a bye. To see which Father-kid team advances in the playoffs, use the total points scored between the 2 teams taht week.
NCFF Commish
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Aaron's Arsenal » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:56 pm

Thanks for the advice fellas! These are great ideas! I didn't know two player pools were even possible, that would be great! We have to do a slow draft so the parent can knock out their pick and their kids pick with one email! I will definately check out these options... big "Rep" to both of you guys! ;-D
Aaron's Arsenal
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby murphysxm » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:12 pm

I participate in one similar to this in concept, but it is a dad/son team. We have a draft rule that the dad's can't talk during the draft, the kids have to do everything. Once the season starts, dad's can only "advise". I live in Indy, Reggie Wayne went #1.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby Aaron's Arsenal » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:42 pm

That's cool! I am hoping the Dads do the same in this league.. let the kids do their own drafting and work. That's why I want to leave the kids division where they only play other kids.. good stuff!
Aaron's Arsenal
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner