Stevie Johnson - new role for 2013 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Stevie Johnson - new role for 2013

Moderator: Football Moderators

Stevie Johnson - new role for 2013

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:17 pm

Bills notebook: Johnson reveals he fractured a vertebra in March
By Tim Graham | News Sports Reporter | @ByTimGraham
on June 13, 2013 - 11:22 PM

Stevie Johnson offered up a Roy Munson handshake after the Buffalo Bills’ final mandatory minicamp session.

Johnson’s rigid fingers were taped at the knuckles. He declined to clasp hands.

It has been a delicate offseason for the Bills’ top wide receiver. He’s recovering from a twisted left ankle and revealed for the first time his previous back injury wasn’t merely a strain. He broke it.

Johnson acknowledged Thursday he fractured his L-5 vertebra in March while filming a workout session for BuffaloBills.com.

“It got to the point where, ‘It’s got to be something more than a strain or something’ because every time I sit down it’s hurting,” Johnson said. “Every time I stand up it’s hurting. I lay down, it’s hurting. I went through rehab and it wasn’t helping.

“So I got the MRI, and it was a slight fracture.”

Johnson said he was given a cortisone shot and an epidural as part of his recovery.

con't...

more: http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 19555/1004
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Stevie Johnson reveals previous broken vertebra

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:10 pm

Looks like he'll have a new role this season:

Depth at receiver allows Bills' Johnson to do inside job
By Mark Gaughan | News Sports Reporter
on July 31, 2013 - 10:43 PM

PITTSFORD — Stevie Johnson took off on a short crossing route over the middle against Stephon Gilmore in a one-on-one passing drill Wednesday.

Counting head fakes, hesitations, shoulder jukes and stutter steps, Johnson must have thrown 12 moves at the Bills' best cover man before getting a half-step of separation and making a catch.

The Buffalo Bills hope it's a scene that gets played out over and over this season.

Johnson, the Bills' No. 1 receiver, is seeing most of his work at an inside position in the slot this summer. That's a big change. Johnson worked almost exclusively at the outside, X-receiver spot, in catching more than 1,000-yards in passes each of the past three seasons.

The Bills have more outside receiving options this season. It looks like they're going to have the luxury of playing Johnson mostly inside, where his separation ability could be a huge asset to the passing game.

“It's easy money,” says Johnson, because he has more room to go in either direction from the slot.

con't...

more: http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 39826/1004
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk