Depth in a 12 man - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Depth in a 12 man

Moderator: Football Moderators

Depth in a 12 man

Postby TheBeaker » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:07 am

I've never done a 12 man before so I'm really curious what depth looks like in a 12 man. I just did a yahoo mock draft.

Standard Yahoo

1QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, K, DST (6 Bench)

I drafted in the 7 spot and my team ended up:

QB: Newton, Rivers
RB: Rice, MJD (Andre Brown, Mark Ingram, Shane Vareen, Fred Jackson)
WR: Roddy White, Bowe, Garcon (Steve Smith
TE: Greg Olsen
K: Justin Tucker
DST: Baltimore

(I should have traded in one of my RB picks for a guy like Brandon Myers but I brain farted)
Thanks for taking the time to look guys.
TheBeaker
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 169)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Depth in a 12 man

Postby taw856 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:56 pm

Newton should be solid, and Rivers is fine as a QB2.
Your RBs concern me, mainly because MJD's malcontent status in Jacksonville makes him a high-risk choice and everyone on your bench at RB is splitting carries or flat out backing someone up, so you don't have room for the Jones-Drew pick to go wrong.
I like your WRs. Roddy White is sort of a low-end WR1, but I like all of Bowe, S. Smith and Garcon as WR3s at worst and potentially WR2s, so I think your overall WR production will be above average.
And Olsen, Tucker, Baltimore DST will all be unspectacular but respectable.

Mine: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=534072
BOLD PICKS FOR 2013
A. Rodgers outscores D. Brees in ESPN standard scoring by 40+.
D. McFadden plays 16 games (but ineffectively for someone whose only problem we always assumed was health).
M. Lynch=not a Top 10 RB.
V. Cruz=Top 7 WR.
G. Tate=Top 36 WR.
taw856
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 183)

Depth in a 12 man

Postby TheBeaker » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:38 pm

Thanks for the response.

MJD is a risk. He was the best RB talent left on the board when I took him. I regret a few of the picks at least where I took them but I'm more just trying to feel out what a 12 man would feel like. I figured out of all those RBs one of them would shake loose as a producer and the rest can be dropped or traded in a hypothetical season.

I just missed out on Bradshaw really late who might have worked out well as a RB3.

Also, maybe it's just because I'm a ravens fan but I think that defense is underrated this year. Suggs getting back into form and Dumervil helping out with the pass rush there should be a bit more production there. DSTs and kickers are crapshoots anyway.
TheBeaker
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic

Postby TheBeaker » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:27 pm

I guess this is my question then: I just did a 10 man mock draft and it came up like this:

QB: Kaepernick, Romo
RB: Rice, MJD, Forte, Mendenhall, Pierce
WR: Cruz, Bowe, Garcon, Jennings, Alexander
TE: Myers
Def: Arizona
K: Forbath

(P.S. i play defs on waivers and kickers are kickers, who cares)

So, obviously thats a better team but relative to the last draft was that a better draft or does it just look better because its a 10 man? Relative to each other which one did I draft better in?

Again guys, thanks for the responses, let me know if you want to me check out a thread of yours.
TheBeaker
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic

Postby Ronak » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:30 am

I play in both a 10 team and a 12 team league. I find the biggest difference is in your draft preparation. Back in 2010 i ended up with Chris Johnson when he ran for 2000yds, Arian Foster(breakout year) and Jamaal Charles(breakout year). I'd make sure you do some personal ranking and focus on rounds 4-10. That's where you'll win or lose larger leagues. Secondly, draft position has a lot to do with the type of depth you can get in a 12 man. I prefer the ends of the draft, 1-3 and 10-12. You then know what you need to target or not because it takes the guesswork out of figuring out who may or may not fall to you in a specific round.

Larger leagues are also about understanding your risks. How risky do you want to be? Should you take Jimmy Graham in rd2(PPR only of course) with the knowledge that you will be weaker at WR or RB? Can you wait on a QB to build depth or should you take one in the first 3 rounds? League rules have a lot to do with figuring out risk.

Please take a look at my topic. All opinions and input is welcome. viewtopic.php?t=534101
Ronak
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 9)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions