MJD + Pick for RG3/Brees? WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

MJD + Pick for RG3/Brees? WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

MJD + Pick for RG3/Brees? WHIR

Postby Mizou » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:14 pm

Keeper league, with no penalty for kept players. Limit is 5 players, only one per position (1 QB, 1 RB, etc.)

My roster (or the ones who matter, at least) is as follows:

QB: Roethlisberger

RB: MJD, DeMarco Murray

WR: Jordy Nelson, Pierre Garcon, Jeremy Maclin, Reggie Wayne

TE: Jason Witten

Guy wants MJD and a pick from me for his RG3/Brees. Is this a good deal? I'm thinking I can maybe get it down to either a later round pick, or just MJD for the QB straight up.

Leave a link for help!

Update: I offered him MJD straight-up for one of the QBs, and he's deciding on it- though he said the offer was tempting.

Let's assume the offer goes through, and I have a good QB1 now. There is a guy dangling Reggie Bush out there for trades, since he's most likely keeping Sproles as his keeper RB. Bush is looking to have Sproles-like stats this year in Detroit, from what I read. Do I hang onto Murray as my main RB, and draft a RB with my first pick in the draft? Or should I float out a trade offer to the guy with Bush, and use Bush for my keeper, and most likely still go RB in the 1st?

Keep in mind, this league is PPR, or I wouldn't be considering the idea.
Last edited by Mizou on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mizou
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: MJD + Pick for RG3/Brees? WHIR

Postby tantrix1969 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:30 am

I'd try for MJD for Brees straight up, thats a huge upgrade at the qb position and little worried about MJD reporting out of shape,still rehabbing injury, & now problems with the law/possible suspension coming.
"When you watch him play, you’re like, ‘Oh God, he’s going to kill somebody,’ and that’s what I like about the young man.” ~ Jerome Henderson on Cowboys rookie safety J.J. Wilcox
tantrix1969
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 92)

Postby LWCrunner55 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:28 am

Yeah I'm liking the upgrade at QB. Even though RBs are really tight this year, starting Big Ben as your QB1 is rough. I'd only do it if it was straight up MJD for Brees.
QB- M. Ryan, T. Pryor
RB- A. Morris, L. Bell, A. Ellington, C. Ivory, M. James, D. Martin
WR- J. Nelson, A. Brown, J. Boykin, D. Heyward-Bey,
TE- J. Graham, C. Fleener
LWCrunner55
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Response Team
(Past Year: 171)

Postby taw856 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:20 am

If you can get Brees for MJD straight up, do it and run. Even with Brees being older, it's possible MJD is closer to the end of his career, given how long QBs can play productively versus how long pint-sized RBs can keep playing the part of bowling ball with 8-in-the-box and Blaine Gabbert at QB.

If the deal has to be with a pick, I have to caveat that I'm not a keeper league player so I'm always slightly out of my element discussing leagues with longer-term setups, but here's my best effort: Brees = 2nd round talent in redrafts this year. MJD = seems to be going 3rd or 4th round (even though I don't personally buy him there). Bump them both down a bit because youth is more important in a keeper, perhaps bumping MJD down slightly more, and you're getting a 3rd round talent plus a free agent pickup to replace your pick for a 5th or 6th round talent plus a pick. Assuming a standard 16 round draft: 3 + 17 (free agent) is roughly equal to 6 + 13 (he'll want a higher draft pick than an absolute equivalence since he's giving up the best player in the deal). So, by my estimate, you don't want to give up more than about a 13th round pick with MJD, give or take another round or two. (Hope that made sense, again, apologies for my less-expert keeper knowledge).

As for if the deal involves RGIII...

MJD is a huge risk unless and until he's no longer on Jaguars and has a starting gig for a team he's happy with, as far as I'm concerned. RB1 potential, but also the potential for injury, for team rules suspensions, for splitting time with someone else they bring in to transition him out, and God knows what else. So if you can flip him for equivalent talent, that's a win to me.

So the nice thing here is that RGIII is that equivalent talent, but someone you can ALSO spin him as a major risk because of his knee injury, both in terms of his recovery for this year and the long-term prospects of him having fully healthy seasons in the future. So I don't think you need to give a pick to trade MJD for RGIII, and in fact think you should even be able to argue for getting a late pick or a bench RB back in return to offset the fact that at least for this year, MJD is higher than RGIII on everyone's draft boards. (In a keeper, I assume RGIII's value moves up while MJD's moves down...)

Best of luck!
BOLD PICKS FOR 2013
A. Rodgers outscores D. Brees in ESPN standard scoring by 40+.
D. McFadden plays 16 games (but ineffectively for someone whose only problem we always assumed was health).
M. Lynch=not a Top 10 RB.
V. Cruz=Top 7 WR.
G. Tate=Top 36 WR.
taw856
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 198)

Postby Mizou » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:43 pm

Update: I offered him MJD straight-up for one of the QBs, and he's deciding on it- though he said the offer was tempting.

Let's assume the offer goes through, and I have a good QB1 now. There is a guy dangling Reggie Bush out there for trades, since he's most likely keeping Sproles as his keeper RB. Bush is looking to have Sproles-like stats this year in Detroit, from what I read. Do I hang onto Murray as my main RB, and draft a RB with my first pick in the draft? Or should I float out a trade offer to the guy with Bush, and use Bush for my keeper, and most likely still go RB in the 1st?

Mizou
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 7)

Postby 11stever11 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:04 am

Mizou wrote:Update: I offered him MJD straight-up for one of the QBs, and he's deciding on it- though he said the offer was tempting.

I would stick with Murray because I think he is about the same, if not a better keeper option then Reggie Bush. If the value is right, I would look to draft a RB with your first pick in the draft. The MJD for a QB is a great trade for you if it gets done.
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby LSUby50 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:31 am

Hopefully you can get Brees for MJD, that would be a great move for you. Not sure about RG3 based on his injury situation.

I think id keep Murray instead of Bush but i dont love either one as my RB1. Both are very productive when healthy but thats hardly ever. Any chance you could package Murray + either Jordy or Wayne for a better RB keeper? Maybe Gore, Ridley, SJax? thats whay i'd try to do.

mine?
viewtopic.php?t=534155
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 73)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions