Trying a new drafting method, tell me how it is! WHIR! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

Trying a new drafting method, tell me how it is! WHIR!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Mizou » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:14 am

10-man draft, with 1 QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, Def, K.

The method I used was one I read about, where you take the highest player on your draft board, no questions asked. Therefore, things like position are tossed out the window, and you just draft the highest rated player you have left. It left me with quite a different roster than I usually get.

1. CJ Spiller
2. Brandon Marshall
3. Demaryius Thomas
4. Victor Cruz
5. David Wilson
6. Colin Kaepernick
7. Tony Gonzalez
8. Cecil Shorts
9. Lance Moore
10. Jon Stewart
11. Jared Cook
12. Michael Vick
13. Mikel Leshoure
14. Arizona
15. Garrett Hartley

Leave a link if you want help in return
Mizou
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheBeaker » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:37 am

Why don't you just autodraft then? Don't see a huge difference.
TheBeaker
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 169)

Re: Trying a new drafting method, tell me how it is! WHIR!

Postby duffoholic » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:08 am

I don't mind this team... You top WR's are pretty sick but RB are a little weak. I agree with above, why not just auto draft at this point.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)

Postby Mizou » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:10 am

Drafting pure BPA is different from simply using the autopick, but the differences are subtle. I've seen autopick pick guys who were not the top of the list, but close to it, because of positional needs. Drafting this method is described as "position agnostic," not caring how many of what position you have or need. It's strictly value drafting. That's the reason I ended up with so many WRs, but a bit lacking in the RB department.
Mizou
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby TheBeaker » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:09 am

I get that there are differences but honestly what you are doing is taking away your personal thoughts and replacing them with whatever that particular ranking system has given you. It's essentially just a different form of autodraft. If you set your own rankings for the entire player pool it might make a bit more sense but even then I dont like it. The BPA rankings are all subjective anyways,

Actually the only way this is of any interest to me is if you are trying to test the theory and the BPA will give you a better overall roster to work with. Maybe you do that to see if you can trade your way out of any holes the ranking system has given you and come up with the best roster in your league.
TheBeaker
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 169)

Postby Mizou » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:39 am

TheBeaker wrote:I get that there are differences but honestly what you are doing is taking away your personal thoughts and replacing them with whatever that particular ranking system has given you. It's essentially just a different form of autodraft. If you set your own rankings for the entire player pool it might make a bit more sense but even then I dont like it. The BPA rankings are all subjective anyways,

Actually the only way this is of any interest to me is if you are trying to test the theory and the BPA will give you a better overall roster to work with. Maybe you do that to see if you can trade your way out of any holes the ranking system has given you and come up with the best roster in your league.

Ah, I should've mentioned that I used my own rankings, separate from what the site I was drafting on uses.

Actually, the whole point of this exercise is what you were describing at the end there. I was testing this method, and asking for opinions of the team it resulted in, then comparing that with how my mock drafts usually turn out.
Mizou
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Zbetty » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:27 pm

depends on the league. if you can keep a large bench then this could work well. the league im in we have 2qb, 4rb, 4wr, 2te, 2k, 2lb, 2dl, 2db and start half of those players. because of the limited bench space you have to consider position while drafting
10 Team PPR predraft
QB- Aaron Rodgers
RB- CJ Spiller, Marshawn Lynch
WR- Jordy Nelson, Michael Crabtree
TE- Jimmy Graham
LB- James Laurinaitis
DL- Corey Liuget
DB- Harrison Smith
Zbetty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff