1st pre-camp mock...would love input(WHIR) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

1st pre-camp mock...would love input(WHIR)

Moderator: Football Moderators

1st pre-camp mock...would love input(WHIR)

Postby Ronak » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:40 am

Just completed my first mock of the year. Unfortunately, it was on ESPN so I know it would be difficult to duplicate these results with better players but would love some input.

WR is still VERY deep to me and was wondering how everyone is going about ranking receivers from 11-30. I find it frustrating!

League is 10 team PPR, 6pts for all TDs. Finished 3rd last year so I have the 8th pick.

1-8 C.J. Spiller
2-13 Steven Jackson
3-28 Percy Harvin
4-33 Randall Cobb
5-48 Reggie Bush
6-53 Matthew Stafford
7-68 Dwayne Bowe
8-73 Ahmad Bradshaw
9-88 Antonio Gates
10-93 Brandon Myers
11- 108 Kenny Britt
12-113 Fred Jackson
13-128 Pierre Thomas
14-133 Vincent Brown
15-148 Bucs D/ST
16-153 Matt Prater

QB - Matthew Stafford
RB - C.J.Spiller, Steven Jackson, Reggie Bush, Ahmad Bradshaw, Fred Jackson, Pierre Thomas
WR - Percy Harvin, Randall Cobb, Dwayne Bowe, Kenny Britt, Vincent Brown
TE - Antonio Gates, Brandon Myers
D/ST - Buccaneers
K - Matt Prater
Ronak
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 1st pre-camp mock...would love input(WHIR)

Postby 11stever11 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:06 am

I moved this topic over to Roster Ratings. ;-D

I think you did a good job. I like the combination of Steven Jackson and CJ Spiller at running back. I expect Steven Jackson to get double-digit touchdowns. Bush could put up mid-range RB2 numbers in PPR this year and he is your third back. I like both Cobb and Harvin as your starting wide receivers in PPR. Both could put up top 10 numbers. I also like your later picks at WR in Britt and Bowe. Britt has WR2 upside, but he does carry quite a bit of risk. I am not a big fan of Gates and Myers at TE, but you should be able to play match-ups. Stafford is a average quarterback in a ten team league.
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 46)

Postby Ronak » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:16 am

Thanks for moving this to the proper forum.

I'm not really a fan of Gates either and feel I kind of panic drafted him in the 9th, hence why I came back with Myers in the 10th. I'm 50-50 on Myers and we see that he can catch a high volume of balls(2012) and Eli does look to his TE more than most (Bennett 2012). I'm just worried about the emergence of Ruben Randall but that needs to be proven.

Curious why you feel Stafford is an average QB in 10 team leagues? He was a top 5 QB in last seasons draft and has added a much better running game with Bush. Still will throw for 4700-5000yds and 30-35 TDs. I find him safer than Russell Wilson(can he duplicate) or Andrew Luck(sans Arians this year) if I wait on a QB.

Thanks again for your input.
Ronak
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby TheBeaker » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:35 am

Agreed. I'm not a PPR expert but that looks pretty deep. I think Bush will have some nice upside in a PPR this year as i think hes going to get fed the ball A LOT.
TheBeaker
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 169)

Postby 11stever11 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:47 am

Ronak wrote:Thanks for moving this to the proper forum.

I'm not really a fan of Gates either and feel I kind of panic drafted him in the 9th, hence why I came back with Myers in the 10th. I'm 50-50 on Myers and we see that he can catch a high volume of balls(2012) and Eli does look to his TE more than most (Bennett 2012). I'm just worried about the emergence of Ruben Randall but that needs to be proven.

Curious why you feel Stafford is an average QB in 10 team leagues? He was a top 5 QB in last seasons draft and has added a much better running game with Bush. Still will throw for 4700-5000yds and 30-35 TDs. I find him safer than Russell Wilson(can he duplicate) or Andrew Luck(sans Arians this year) if I wait on a QB.

Thanks again for your input.

I think Stafford is an average QB in terms of a starter in a 10 team league. I would rather have Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Peyton Manning, and Cam Newton over Stafford for sure. I can see taking RG3, Kaepernick, Wilson, and Ryan over him as well. Stafford finished last season 11th overall in terms of points per game in ESPN leagues. I don't personally see him reaching 30-35 touchdowns, somewhere around 25 touchdowns is where I view him as, but I do agree that he can throw for 4,700-5,000 yards.
My first two tiers look like this...
Tier 1
Rodgers
Brees
Brady
Newton
Manning

Tier 2
Kaerpernick
Wilson
Ryan
Stafford
RG3
Luck
Romo

Hope this helps some, please let me know if you need more clarification.
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ronak » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:07 am

I feel that interesting that you feel Stafford will only throw for 25tds. Granted he didn't have his best season last year but Calvin was tackled on the 1 yard line 5 times last year alone. Where I drafted him in the 6th Rd the only QBs left were Wilson, Luck, Romo and RGIII. My feelings are I can't trust RGIII coming of the injury and with so much of his fantasy value being tied to his running. He really reminds me of Vick with his health and that's not a risk I'm willing to take MOST of the time. I debated between Wilson and Stafford and felt that Stafford had a much bigger upside. Wilson might be a better QB this season but I don't feel his numbers will change very much and his rushing yards may even decrease. I'm a fan of Luck but need to see him in camp without Arian's vertical passing scheme. Finally, Kaepernick is on a run heavy team and he lost his favorite reciever in Crabtree. I just don't think he can keep running like he did in the playoffs and stay healthy. I rank them:

Brees
Rodgers
P. Manning
Brady
Ryan
Cam
Stafford
Wilson
Luck
Kaepernick
RGIII
Romo
Ronak
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 11stever11 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:51 am

There were only 5 quarterback to throw over 30 touchdowns last season. I don't think Stafford will be able to throw for 10 more then last year, but I have been wrong many times before. I can certainly see your concerns about RG3. Like Vick though, when he is on the field, he can put up elite numbers. He is certainly a risk like you said and it would be important to grab a solid back-up. I am concerned about Luck's short-term value after losing Arians as well. I do prefer Wilson over Stafford. When the Seahawks opened up the playbook during the 2nd half of last season, Wilson was the third overall QB in total points. With the addition of Percy Harvin, I think Wilson's upside is greater then Stafford's upside. I still like Kaepernick a lot this season, but I will certainly look to see how he responds to the lose of Crabtree. I did have Kaepernick in Tier 1 before Crabtree's injury.
11stever11

Postby Mizou » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:01 am

CJ Spiller/St. Jax/Bush would be an absolutely phenomenal RB core, especially in a PPR. Then backing that with Harvin/Cobb/ and Bowe really is the icing on the cake. I would be thrilled to have a draft like that come draft day.

I agree that Stafford is a bit middle-ish as a QB in a 10-team league, but some of that can come down to personal preference. I think his numbers will be somewhere in the middle of what he's posted in the past two years, which would still be acceptable.

Not liking Gates as a TE though. There are a bunch of other guys I'd be much more high on, who can be had in the later rounds. If I was drafting a TE that late, I'd be looking for guys like Myers, Cook, Davis, or even Owen Daniels.

If you could help with mine? viewtopic.php?t=534082
Mizou
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 7)

Return to Roster Ratings