#2 overall pick.....who??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

#2 overall pick.....who???

Moderator: Football Moderators

#2 overall pick.....who???

Postby kevinkallberg » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:05 am

I'm in a 16 team league, keep 7 players with at least 1 IDP player. I'm having a hard time trying to choose between Ball, Bell, Lacy, Bernard or Tavon Austin. Pretty much standard scoring other than 1pt/reception.

My keepers are:
Andrew Luck
Calvin Johnson
Trent Richardson
Vick Ballard
Ben Tate
Derrick Johnson
Jason Pierre Paul

Still deciding if I should choose Michael Floyd over Ballard or Tate, but that's another story

With my given keepers, I could use a RB AND WR. With the up-coming draft (3 weeks from now), and not knowing who will go #1 overall, who would you target? Something is telling me to go with Tavon Austin, but I'm not entirely sold on any of the rookies at the #2 spot.

Thoughts?
kevinkallberg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: #2 overall pick.....who???

Postby duffoholic » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:49 am

Well, my first thoughts are that Ballard is a waste of a keeper. He doesn't look to have any long term value regardless of the situation with Bradshaw and his addition only weakens his position further. So if you want to keep Floyd instead, I could stand behind that. I think Tate is worth keeping as he will be productive should Foster go down and he can't stay under Foster forever... right?

As for the keepers, if Ball comes your way at #2 I don't know how you pass on him. That guy has everything he needs for success. If he can become a decent-good pass blocker for Peyton he can easily take over as an every down back. Right now Moreno is the third down guy and Hillman will be a change of pace guy but with McGahee gone, the job is Ball's to lose. I'm not impressed with Pittsburg's ground game at all the past couple years and thus don't want to touch Bell as he is walking into that mess. I think Bernard is a little overhyped for redraft leagues but he definitely holds some value for a dynasty league (or multi-keeper like yours) where you could hang on to him for a couple years. Lacy has some potential but he's playing in a pass happy offence that hasn't had a stud RB for close to a decade. Even their last real workhorse back, Ryan Grant, was a mid level RB2 so I don't see the ceiling being too high for Lacy. Tavon Austin looks like the clear #1 WR in the rookie draft BUT he still has Bradford to deal with. This could be similar to Blackmon with Gabbert throwing to him. The good news here is that unless Bradford picks up his game this season the Rams will most likely be looking for an upgrade in next's years draft or through FA.

So, in this style league, my picks would be:
Ball, Austin, Bernard, Lacy, Bell
in that order. It might not be conventional wisdom but it is how I see it.

Good luck man!
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)

Postby kevinkallberg » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:44 pm

duffoholic wrote:Well, my first thoughts are that Ballard is a waste of a keeper. He doesn't look to have any long term value regardless of the situation with Bradshaw and his addition only weakens his position further. So if you want to keep Floyd instead, I could stand behind that. I think Tate is worth keeping as he will be productive should Foster go down and he can't stay under Foster forever... right?

As for the keepers, if Ball comes your way at #2 I don't know how you pass on him. That guy has everything he needs for success. If he can become a decent-good pass blocker for Peyton he can easily take over as an every down back. Right now Moreno is the third down guy and Hillman will be a change of pace guy but with McGahee gone, the job is Ball's to lose. I'm not impressed with Pittsburg's ground game at all the past couple years and thus don't want to touch Bell as he is walking into that mess. I think Bernard is a little overhyped for redraft leagues but he definitely holds some value for a dynasty league (or multi-keeper like yours) where you could hang on to him for a couple years. Lacy has some potential but he's playing in a pass happy offence that hasn't had a stud RB for close to a decade. Even their last real workhorse back, Ryan Grant, was a mid level RB2 so I don't see the ceiling being too high for Lacy. Tavon Austin looks like the clear #1 WR in the rookie draft BUT he still has Bradford to deal with. This could be similar to Blackmon with Gabbert throwing to him. The good news here is that unless Bradford picks up his game this season the Rams will most likely be looking for an upgrade in next's years draft or through FA.

So, in this style league, my picks would be:
Ball, Austin, Bernard, Lacy, Bell
in that order. It might not be conventional wisdom but it is how I see it.

Good luck man!

Thanks for the very insightful feedback. I just read today that Ballard isn't going to be the starting RB in Indy, so I will now change my keeper from Ballard to Floyd.
kevinkallberg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 19)

Postby Perfectibilist » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:21 pm

I agree with keeping Floyd instead of Ballard. So now that gives you only one RB and 2 WRs, so I think for you at 2nd overall I would rank them as 1)Ball 2)Austin. I think that Austin is the number 1 guy, but if I were RB needy Ball would be the only guy I took over him.
Thanks to Freyaka for the sig!
Perfectibilist
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Jason497 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:50 pm

Not knowing who the veteran players are in the pool, I gotta agree with these guys. I'd go Montee Ball and then Tavon Austin.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions