1st pick of a 10 man ppr league (round 2/3 question) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

1st pick of a 10 man ppr league (round 2/3 question)

Moderator: Football Moderators

1st pick of a 10 man ppr league (round 2/3 question)

Postby sabomnim » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:22 pm

In case this is too long: cliff notes: would you go RB/RB/RB if you could grab 3 top 14 rbs)

so i have the 1st pick of a 10 man, ppr, 6pt TD league

obviously my current 1st pick is AD
my questions is about strategy for my 2/3 round picks

my current hope is to go rb/rb then either graham, brees/rodgers, or WR (that is my order of preference).
i def want to start off by grabbing a 2nd rb (anyone in my top 14: ad, foster, martin, lynch, spiller, charles, rice, mccoy, trich, morris, forte, mjd, sjax or chris johnson)
if none of them fall, then that means ill have a shot at some combination of a top 5 WR, graham, and a top 2 QB (the RBs after my top 14 dont interest me in my draft spot)

anyway, my question is, since my league tends to go heavy on WRs (either 7 or 8 WRs have been taken by pick 20 over the past 3 years in this league), should I consider going rb/rb/rb?
my league format is as follows: QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, W/R, K, Def
so there is the potential to be able to start 3 top 14 RBs
is that worth the sacrifice?

ending up with AD, MJD, and CJ2K might be a deadly combination, but at the expense of my WR/TE/QB corps.

here is a list of possible draft results for me
MJD/CJ/Graham
MJD/CJ/Brees
MJD/CJ/Julio jones (or d thomas)
MJD/CJ/sjax (or forte)

just looking for oppinions if i should even consider rb/rb/rb

thanks
WHIR 100%
sabomnim
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 75)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 1st pick of a 10 man ppr league (round 2/3 question)

Postby Jason497 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:39 pm

Well on FFC, 5 WRs are going right now in the top 20. That format is only 2 starting WR, so I guess 7 or 8 in the top 20 might be legit.

37 overall is Roddy White, 39 overall is Vincent Jackson, 40 overall is Victor Cruz. If they all get snatched up, Colston/Bowe/Welker are going 45-47.

If you are content with one of them as your WR1, go right ahead and take RB-RB-RB...as you said, you can start them all, so it's not like you are leaving points on the bench. It seems to me like an ok strategy, but me personally I might go RB-RB-WR-RB to ensure 1 stud WR. I also believe that after the first 12 RBs, they all have question marks (durability, age, ect...) and I don't think there's a lot separating 13-23, honestly.

Keep in mind, in 10 teamers there's some good value at RB slipping through the cracks, much more than a 12 teamer. David Wilson, Montee Ball, Lamar Miller are all slipping to the 4th round. Leveon Bell, Chris Ivory, Ryan Mathews the 5th. Lacy and Mendenhall the 6th, Bradshaw the 7th.

If Graham dropped in your lap at 2.10, I think you gotta think about taking him in a PPR. He's so far and away better than anyone at TE right now with Gronk's issues, you can afford to go RB-TE-RB-WR-RB or something. Like I said, WR depth is plentiful in a 10 teamer, TEs still stink after the first few lol.

I think you should do a few mocks and see what works best for you.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 1st pick of a 10 man ppr league (round 2/3 question)

Postby Zbetty » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:55 pm

With RB being so thin and WR extremely deep I would have nothing to say against the RB, RB, RB. It will also greatly depend on the rest of your league. If everyone is taking WRs you may be able to wait and get a solid RB late. Also if Graham does fall to you at 2.10 it would be very hard to pass up on him. If he's gone then I would wait till late for TE and QB and load up at RB, WR
10 Team PPR predraft
QB- Aaron Rodgers
RB- CJ Spiller, Marshawn Lynch
WR- Jordy Nelson, Michael Crabtree
TE- Jimmy Graham
LB- James Laurinaitis
DL- Corey Liuget
DB- Harrison Smith
Zbetty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 7)