Back To Back Picks...who? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Back To Back Picks...who?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Back To Back Picks...who?

Postby kevinkallberg » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:18 pm

12 team, H2H league. PPR 1pt/reception.

I'm in the middle of an expansion draft(5 rounds), all the top players are basically kept. There are 3 teams in the expansion draft. One team quit and the league broke that team up and put it's players in the FA pool for our expansion draft (rodgers, megatron were available)

anyways, I had the #3 pick as Rodgers and Megatron were taken at #1 and #2.

My first two picks were Stevan Ridley and Randall Cobb.

It's my pick again, back to back. Need to pick two players.

Available players:
WRs
Vincent Jackson
Dwayne Bowe
Hakeem Nicks
Wes Welker
Mike Wallace
Eric Decker

RBs
DeMarco Murray
Ahmad Bradshaw
BJGE
Jonathan Stewart
Mikel Leshoure

After the expansion draft is over, we'll have a normal draft with the rookies and whoever is left over later on.

I'm leaning towards DeMarco Murray and Hakeem Nicks, but Nicks' injury history concerns me, I also like Eric Decker but the addition of wes welker concerns me.....IMO, there's no clear cut answer.

Any opinions would be appreciated!!
kevinkallberg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Back To Back Picks...who?

Postby kevinkallberg » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:20 pm

And I plan to use my 5th expansion pick to take a QB (Matt Ryan, Tom Brady and Matt Stafford are available). Can also trade my 5th expansion pick for Russell Wilson...but still unsure as what I'll do.
kevinkallberg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby duffoholic » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:34 pm

I'm not really clear what this draft is doing... But that doesn't really matter I guess.

Assuming you have Ridley and Cobb already and that is all... I think you have to take Murray as you don't really have a solid #1 back. The second pick is harder but I think Jackson is the guy. Vjax should top 1000 yards again this year with a ceiling around what he got last year, 1300-1400, with 10+ TD's. While the rest of those guys are solid, I'm not sure you could expect that high a ceiling from any of them. Bowe is good but Smith is a manager more than a gunslinger. Nicks will undoubtedly miss time at some point this season... again. Welker and Decker will both be solid but I doubt they will BOTH top 10 TD's and to try and guess which one will... I actually think it will be a tale of two seasons in Denver and Decker will thrive at the start of the season while Welker comes on stronger towards the end as he builds a rapport with Peyton. The last guy there is Wallace who has very little value in my eyes. Until Tannehill can prove he's an NFL QB, I'm staying away. The guy only threw 12 TD's all year last season... that doesn't bode well for his receivers. If you had more RB's or better options in the 'other draft' I would go with two of the WR's here but as it is, I would take Murray and Jackson.

Also, is this a keeper league? If so, trading your 5th for Wilson might not be the worst thing in the world, if not, I would target Ryan. I think Brady falls off a little this year and maybe, just maybe, Ryan comes out ahead at the end of the season.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)

Postby kevinkallberg » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:40 pm

Thanks a lot Duff!! It is a keeper league.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. This league that I just joined, used to be a 10 team league. The commish of the league decided to make it a 12 team league. One team quit out of the original 10 teams and they invited 3 new managers (myself included).

So what the commish did was take the players from the team that quit and throw them back in the FA market. Then the 3 new teams are currently holding a 5 round, expansion draft.

This is what the draft looks like.
Round 1
1. CQ.............Calvin Johnson
2. Brandon...Aaron Rodgers
3. Kevin........Stevan Ridley-------------ME

Round 2
1. Kevin.........Randall Cobb-------------ME
2. Brandon...Maurice Jones-Drew
3. CQ.............Roddy White

Round 3
1. CQ.............Lamar Miller
2. Brandon....Marques Colston
3. Kevin

Round 4
1. Kevin
2. Brandon
3. CQ

Round 5
1. CQ
2. Brandon
3. Kevin

I hope this makes it more clear.
kevinkallberg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby duffoholic » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:02 pm

Ah, I see. This is pretty interesting! So you are essentially picking from the free agents that couldn't be/weren't kept (for whatever reason) and the spoils from the team that dropped out. I got ya. So do you know where you pick in the rookie/free agent draft? If you get to pick early there and maybe luck out with a Ball or Austin kind of rookie that would be great news.

I think regardless, I stand by my advice from before in keeping Murray and VJax as I think Murray might be the last starter in the group (though you could argue Jstew and Bradshaw but...) and you will be weak at RB this year even with him. Vjax should be a solid guy for you that you should be able to keep for a couple years.

What style of keeper league is this? Did the old teams have to throw players back into the mix to even things up a little?
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby kevinkallberg » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:13 pm

Duff,
I found out that I'll be picking 6th in the regular/rookie draft. Probably no luck on Austin, Ball or Bell. I did end up taking Vincent Jackson and Murray with my last two picks. I have one more pick to go for the expansion draft.

Yeah, what happened with the remaining teams is that they chose their 5 keepers and the rest went back into the FA pool. I don't believe they had to throw back talent to help the expansion teams out. I do know that by them not doing so, I'll have my work cut out for me for the next couple of years as I'll be rebuilding.

With my 5th pick in the expansion draft, I think i'm going to bypass a QB(9 are already being kept, so 3 teams without a QB and Tom Brady, Matt Stafford, Romo, Eli Manning will be around when the regular draft begins.

I'm going to go WR with my next pick I believe....Mike Wallace, Bowe, Nicks, Decker are the top WR's left. One pick to go before it gets back to me.

My team so far:
RB Stevan Ridley
RB DeMarco Murray
WR Randall Cobb
WR Vincent Jackson
kevinkallberg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby duffoholic » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:35 pm

Ah, I see. So you get to keep 5 guys next year. I think you already have 2 solid WR keepers in Cobb and Vjax who should be decent for you for a good long while. This may just be my personal bias based on a huge man-crush, but I like the idea of making that trade for Wilson. I think the guy has a tonne of keeper value. Think Flutie but better! If you can't get him or don't like the idea, I think Bowe has the most value here and does mean you don't have to think about WR's again for the a good while in the draft... though you do have 3 WR's to keep next year and your squad doesn't look half bad either! If Murray finally hits his stride, you could have a serious RB1 there and Ridley should remain a decent RB2 this season at least. Plus three solid WR's. I think you might still be able to land something decent in the draft this year too and with a little luck you could be competitive this year or next!
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby kevinkallberg » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:40 pm

duffoholic wrote:Ah, I see. So you get to keep 5 guys next year. I think you already have 2 solid WR keepers in Cobb and Vjax who should be decent for you for a good long while. This may just be my personal bias based on a huge man-crush, but I like the idea of making that trade for Wilson. I think the guy has a tonne of keeper value. Think Flutie but better! If you can't get him or don't like the idea, I think Bowe has the most value here and does mean you don't have to think about WR's again for the a good while in the draft... though you do have 3 WR's to keep next year and your squad doesn't look half bad either! If Murray finally hits his stride, you could have a serious RB1 there and Ridley should remain a decent RB2 this season at least. Plus three solid WR's. I think you might still be able to land something decent in the draft this year too and with a little luck you could be competitive this year or next!

Alot of FF keeper rankings have Wilson as a top 5-7 keeper QB. I'm just not entirely sure tho.
kevinkallberg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Jason497 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:18 am

For some reason I'm just not that high on Bowe. I know he's the highest ranked guy there, but if NYG re-signs Nicks I like his scoring potential a lot more long term.

I'm pretty high on Wallace in a PPR, I think he'll easily eclipes 1000 yards if Hartline could do it there. Yards and catches will be there...TDs might be lower in 2013 but I think he'll be the Wallace we've all grown accustomed to by 2014. I like either guy more than Bowe.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Postby kevinkallberg » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:06 pm

Bowe was just taken ahead of me, so that's not a possibility
kevinkallberg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff