Strategy at 7? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Strategy at 7?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Strategy at 7?

Postby Humdinger » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:39 pm

I'm in a super competitive 10 team PPR league and we start our draft July 1st. Essentially, we get 24 hours to make a pick, and we can trade picks if we like. Its a nice system, but the hugest drawback is having to pick a majority of your team before training camps and injuries and such. I have the 7th pick, and I guess I'm looking for draft strategy in the first few rounds.

Aaron Rodgers went #1 overall to a huge packer fan. That's fine by me. I guess I just don't know what I should do after the next few picks. I'm assuming AP, Foster, and Martin will be the next 3 off the board. I guess I'm unsure what I should do after that. I know Lynch will be gone at 6 if not before, but that leaves me a ton of valuable options and want to do my best to ensure I pick the best one. I pick again at 14 and don't want to draft someone at 7 that I can have at 14.... if that makes sense.

So if you were me, what specific players and positions would you target at 7, 14, and 27?
Humdinger
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Strategy at 7?

Postby duffoholic » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:21 pm

First off, the guy with the second pick must have wet himself when he saw Rodgers go first! I don't know how competitive this league could be if that was the first overall pick in the draft. He easily could have traded down to 6 or 7 and got an upgrade somewhere else but whatever...

Look at mocks out there man. There are plenty. Even do a couple yourself! This is the ongoing cafe mock that I think is a pretty solid depiction of player value, though it isn't a PPR (I don't see it changing things too drastically).

viewtopic.php?t=533718

Personally, I'm in love with Charles this year, so if you could get him at 7, I'd be happy with that. For your second pick it is unlikely Calvin makes it back to you but I would be looking to grab a second back if Morris or Mccoy are still around. If it has been all RB's so far then I'd look to either snag Jimmy Graham, the Megatron of the TE's, or Brandon Marshal/AJ Green or possibly Demaryius Thomas. Third round, again, I look to the RB's with Forte/SJax being my first targets before going back to WR's with White or Andre or a reach for Vjax. If none of those are available, I might consider Brees but would try not to take a QB until the 5th or 6th (or 10th).

It is hard to say though without seeing how your draft unfolds. I mean, if teams go on a QB frenzy early, I'd be happy to let it happen and snatch up a RGIII/Luck/Wilson guy in the later rounds. Those are a few names I'd be looking out for but find an ADP list you agree with or make your own and snatch up the players who slip by the other teams in your league. Rodgers going first overall is pretty hilarious though...
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions