1st time Keeper league (3). How to handle 3rd selection?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions

1st time Keeper league (3). How to handle 3rd selection??

Moderator: Football Moderators

1st time Keeper league (3). How to handle 3rd selection??

Postby mr. bojangles » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:17 pm

12 team league with standard scoring.

Last year we spiced things up, and changed our redraft league into a Keeper league. Allowed to keep between 0-3 players, sacrificing your 1-3rd round picks depending on how many you keep. (ie. keep 2, lose 1st and 2nd round picks)

The relevant players i drafted last year that are in the discussion on who to keep this year are:
Arian Foster, AP, Julio Jones, Demaryious Thomas, David Wilson.

I am without question going to keep Foster and AP. My question to you all is should I:

a) Play it straight and keep Julio or DT as my 3rd keeper (i'd prob keep Julio if so)
b) try to package Julio/DT or Julio/Wilson to a team that drafted poorly last year and maybe has 2 quality keepers.
- For example) A guy in my league has McCoy and Forte, but no 3rd player worth keeping. I could offer him Julio and DT in exchange for McCoy. So then he now has 3 "keeper worthy" players. Granted he would be downgrading at RB, but he'd be packing a hell of a punch at WR. (** Jamaal Charles owner is in similar situation)

Issues i'm struggling with: a) Good idea to be RB greedy and aim for 3 top tier RB's, and then fill in the gaps at WR by drafting them in Rounds 4 and 5 (and maybe 6). Or b) should i be content with Foster and AP, keep Julio as a good investment at WR, and aim to draft a rookie like Ball or Bell, or DMC in the 4th round.

WHIR.... Thanks!!
mr. bojangles
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 1st time Keeper league (3). How to handle 3rd selection?

Postby LSUby50 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:15 pm

Thanks for the help on mine. I'll give my $0.02 on yours.

I like the idea of packaging DT and Julio for another stud, but since you already have 2 top shelf RB i'd probably target a top 3 WR instead of a 3rd RB. (assuming you only start 2). That would give you a more well rounded team instead of a 3rd RB that you would (hopefully) only use twice all season on bye weeks. If you could get a calvin johnson or AJ Green, maybe Dez. But you've got my #5 and #6 ranked WR already so id make the offer for Calvin if you can. you might even talk to the Calvin owner and say, if i can get mccoy, how about a swap for Calvin, or something like that-a 3 way trade.
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 73)

Postby duffoholic » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:14 pm

Something I always say in these situations is whether it is worth it to make opposing teams better rather than just throw back your talent, but in this case, the players you throw back would just get snatched up anyway since those weaker teams won't be keeping players and would just be picking through the leftovers anyway. With that said, I'd be willing to package Wilson and Julio/DT for McCoy or another top 10 RB but I would be looking for Megatron first. If the Megatron owner is happy with his 3, I'd be pretty damned happy with the top 2 RB's and DT or Julio (in that order for me).

For the actual draft, adding DMC/Bell/Ball to this mix would be pretty solid and would grant you the freedom to work on TE and WR for the rest of the draft and if you can grab one of those mid-round QB's like Ryan to Kaep range, you're looking like the team to beat before the season starts. Can you start 3 RB's?
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 444)

Postby mr. bojangles » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:08 pm

sorry.... forgot to mention that... thanks for asking. And thanks for the input!

YES, I can start 3 RB's [2 RB's, 2 WR's, 1 RB/WR]
mr. bojangles
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)

Postby LSUby50 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:31 pm

that changes things. I think id still try for Megatron first, to give you some balance and more flexibility during the draft, but if not and you could get mccoy for those 2 id do that, then you have 3 incredible RBs and pretty much your whole draft to get a QB and 2 WRs.

The only way you'd get burned doing that is if everyone else kept WRs and there would be tons of RBs in the draft but not many good WRs. Is there any way to know who other guys will be keeping and where your draft spot is?

I dont think you can really go wrong with any of your options, Should be a killer team.
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby LSUby50 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:31 pm

that changes things. I think id still try for Megatron first, to give you some balance and more flexibility during the draft, but if not and you could get mccoy for those 2 id do that, then you have 3 incredible RBs and pretty much your whole draft to get a QB and 2 WRs.

The only way you'd get burned doing that is if everyone else kept WRs and there would be tons of RBs in the draft but not many good WRs. Is there any way to know who other guys will be keeping and where your draft spot is?

I dont think you can really go wrong with any of your options, Should be a killer team.
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby kelostd » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:41 am

I agree with the other guys here. Try for Megatron and if that doesn't work, then another top tiered RB and roll with your 3 stud RB's. Spend the draft looking for Wr's and TE's and draft a mid range QB. Decent startable WR's can be found every year on the waiver wire. If all that fails, you are still in good shape with keeping DT/Jones. Great start to your team any way you slice it! Though, I'd be tempted to keep Jones over DT. Addition of Wes Welker will take some targets away from DT and Decker.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=534161
kelostd
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 15)

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions