Keep MJD for a third round pick? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions

Keep MJD for a third round pick?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keep MJD for a third round pick?

Postby kelostd » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:45 am

Play in a PPR league where you can keep 3 players at the cost of where they were picked last year. I know I will keep Jamal Charles for a 3rd round pick and Colin Kaepernick for an 18th rounder. My two other options are MJD for a 3rd rounder or Danario Alexander for an 18th rounder. Depending on who I decide, I'll have to trade for another pick in either the 3rd or 18th round in order to keep those guys. Obviously both guys have question marks and Alexander is the lowest risk, but MJD has the biggest upside. Who would you want to keep?
kelostd
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 15)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keep MJD for a third round pick?

Postby kelostd » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:47 am

btw, picking 5th in a 10 man league.
kelostd
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby jay0582 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:16 pm

Those are your only two options? I do not like MJD in the third too much, so I guess I would by default go with alexander... thanks for the help with mine.

To explain a little more I think theres a decent chance MJD's foot may act up. I wouldn't believe otherwise until I saw it. That is a nasty injury and he is an older back with a lot of use. I am not crazy about him in the third round this year. Is he worth the #25 pick? Maybe... but there's definitely no added value there IMO.
jay0582
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)

Postby LSUby50 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:39 pm

The key is figuring out which players will be available in the draft. If there are good players being tossed back you might want that 3rd pick more than MJD. If there isnt you might be stuck with him.

Im done with MJD. Had him last year and i think he's on the downside of his career, and still on a terrible team. he still will have some big games here and there but overall id be shopping for a younger player, especially in a keeper league. i think he's a low end RB2, and would rather take a chance on some other guys like Ridley, Mcfadden, or Wilson a round later.

PS: you're also having to give up something to get another 3rd round pick to even be able to keep MJD. Not worth it imo. Denario is good value at that spot .
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 59)

Postby Indibuck » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:10 pm

To me, it comes down to how MJD performs in training camp. If he is 90%+ back from his Lisfranc injury, then he's easily worth the third round pick.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby mr. bojangles » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:00 pm

I agree it's hard to answer this question without knowing what other players would be availabe to you in the 3rd round. But i agree with last post that you'll need to see how he performs in Training Camp/Preseason game 3 (if you draft isn't before that). If MJD looks healthy and revitalized, then i would deffintely take him with a 3rd round price tag. But if he leaves you questioning (or the Jag's offense does) his max potential, then perhaps it's safter to keep DX for next to nothing. If DX stays healthy, he has solid WR2 upside. If he cannot, it's no skin off your back.
mr. bojangles
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)

Postby kelostd » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:46 am

MJD may or may not be available in the 3rd round this year. Like someone said, if he preforms well, then he'll go 2nd round or so. Our keeper rule is that you can keep anyone for 2 consecutive years, costing the round they were originally drafted in. So top tiered players like Rodgers, Brady, Rice, McCoy will most likely be kept in the first round this year.

If MJD has a great camp, I think he will be better than a typical 3rd round pick. Yeah he's on a shitty team, and yes, he has alot of carries and coming off a bad injury, but I also think that he's still under 30 years of age and he had minimal wear and tear last season. There are a lot of if's there though. My other options are Forte for a 2nd round pick or Danario Alexander for an 18th rounder. While I like Forte, I just think that I get no value for him as a 2nd rounder. I think there is a decent shot for him to be available in the 2nd, and if not, someone else with equal value.

If Alexander has a year like he did in the second half last year, he's worth an 18th round pick. Problem is that he has an extensive history of injuries. Was last year a flash in the pan?

Paralysis by analysis.......that's why I'm seeking your advice!
kelostd
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions