Keep Foster (auction) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions

Keep Foster (auction)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keep Foster (auction)

Postby duffoholic » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:54 pm

Alright...

I've gone over this one again and again and even posted on here about it once or twice but I can't make up my mind on this one. I am in an auction league (100$) with 2 year contracts and rights to match in the third year (they go back into the auction pool and we have the last rights to claim them for 1 year at that new price). Milestone scoring, 2/25yds rush/rec, 1/25 pass. 6 pt rush TD, 3 pt pass/rec TDs, and we are adding 1 pt/3rec this year. No mandatory TE (they count as WR).

Here is the current roster:
Keepers (73$):
Wilson 3$,
Foster $30, Charles $16, Tate 2$, Hillman 2$
Boldin 3$, Britt 5$, Gronk 9$
Tucker, K 1$,Tynes, K 1$
Jets D, 1$

Rights :
Newton
Dwyer, D. Thomas
J. Nelson, Garcon, G. Tate
Giants D

RB's I will be able to bid on are: Morris (rights owned), Lynch, Rice (rights owned), Ridley (rights owned), Johnson (rights owned), McCoy (rights owned), David Wilson (rights owned) plus all the rookies.

What I am thinking is that 30 for Foster this year is too much. He is currently the highest paid player in the league. If I throw him back it frees up a lot of space for me to try and grab a top WR as well as one of the above or Foster again for less than the 30$ I would be paying for him this year. I really like Charles for $16 and want to pair him with another stud RB but feel like $48 tied up in two backs (and a handcuff) might cripple me. I'd like to take a stab at at least one of the rookies (Lacy, Ball or Bell) and guys like Calvin, Dez, Green, Julio and Andre are back in the pool this year too as is Graham (the guy had him for 1$).
To give some comparisons here are a few top guys from last year: Rice (25$), AP (22$), Turner (22$), CJ2K (24$), McCoy(22$), Murray (20$), DMC(25$) and rookies like Martin and TRich tend to go for around 10-15$.

Do you think it is reasonable to expect to get Foster back below 30$ I am currently paying? I am already going to drop Brit, Hillman and maybe Gronk (again with the hopes of a cheaper re-buy due to injury) but 40$ cap space doesn't make me too happy since I'd like to be able to match Nelson and Garcon (maybe... if he's healthy-ish by the season). I know this is a long one guys but any feedback would be great!
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 444)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keep Foster (auction)

Postby 11stever11 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:30 pm

I would not keep Foster at $30, even though I think having two solid running backs is important in this league because rushing TDs are worth 6th points. I would look to target Bell if you are looking to get a rookie running back. I am not a huge fan of Lacy because I think he will lose touches to Franklin. I think David WIlson would be a player to target as well if you can get him for a good price. If he fixes his fumbling problem he could be a high-end RB2 to a low-end RB1. I would hold onto Gronk at $9. The advantage he brings at TE is worth keeping him.
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby duffoholic » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:18 am

But there is no mandatory TE so do you still keep Gronk for 9$.

The reason we don't have a mandatory TE is: a) Transactions cost 5$ real cash so having to spend 5$ to pick up a TE for a bye week sucks.
b) Our owners feel there are no more than 5 solid TE's worth starting week in and week out
and c) The league is fairly resistant to change and pretty whiney... hahaha
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby 11stever11 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:47 pm

duffoholic wrote:But there is no mandatory TE so do you still keep Gronk for 9$.

The reason we don't have a mandatory TE is: a) Transactions cost 5$ real cash so having to spend 5$ to pick up a TE for a bye week sucks.
b) Our owners feel there are no more than 5 solid TE's worth starting week in and week out
and c) The league is fairly resistant to change and pretty whiney... hahaha

How much does WRs go for? I view Gronk as a high-end WR2 to low-end WR1 when he is healthy, so $9 may still be a good price for him.
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby duffoholic » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:39 pm

CJ is 25$, Marshall 15$, Roddy for 14$, Wayne went for 11$ and Harvin for 9$. Those are a couple guys who were signed last year. I'm just wondering if the injury fear would allow me to get him cheaper is all. Would you pay 10$ for Gronk as a WR (3pt TDs)? I feel it is too much.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby onehittaquita98 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:06 pm

Thanks for responding to my post about picking 2 between welker, garcon, and wayne

I couldn't agree more on your point about auctions and your advice gave me the new perspective I was seeking.

Your situation is a classic example of a player that has lost some appeal due to some trends pointing to a regression and at the same time still holds a ton of value because he is in a running back friendly system and has done nothing to lose his job. Kubiak is going to feed him.
That being said, $30 is to much to pay for him but some other team out there with a ton of cap space to blow may be willing to over pay for a year to make a run. I would suggest targeting a few young RB this year to piece together with Charles and then take the cap room you have created to pay 2 top of the line WR, even over paying. Say you go get 2 of the 4 combination of Julio, Dez, Calvin, and Green. Leave Gronk for someone else to worry about and with the 30 plus the 9 you would be able to have a nice team with huge playmakers. Wilson, Charles, Tate, Boldin, Britt, Calvin, Julio. tynes, jets D would cost roughly $33 plus what calvin and julio cost, let's say 45 total between then, or 40 between julio and Dez, that would put you at 73-78 spent with enough left to take 2 young backs (Bell, Wilson)with potential and round your team out with possibly a player or 2 from last year that didnt perform but could be a late bloomer, (Ryan Mathews for a flier) You limit your risk because having Wilson, Julio, Calvin, Charles, Bolding, are solid and must starts every week. You make your risky position a RB which is already risky to begin with (injuries more common). If you have 2 or 3 young guys you try to plug in, even if one hits you're in a perfect position.

Another thing to consider, You could always do Jordy Nelson, and Dwayne Bowe to save some money and blow your big dollars on Lynch instead. I am high on Bowe this year and think Jordy Nelson lost some of the hype building up to last year...Just something to chew on.
onehittaquita98
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 23)

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions