Trying to decide who to draft next.....WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions

Trying to decide who to draft next.....WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trying to decide who to draft next.....WHIR

Postby kevinkallberg » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:52 pm

12 team, PPR (1pt/rec), keep 4 vets and 1 rookie.

I'm new to the league as an expansion team(there were 10 teams prior to this year, this year it's 12 teams). We're doing the offline draft now and my team so far looks like this...

QB
WR Randall Cobb
WR Vincent Jackson
WR Hakeem Nicks
RB Stevan Ridley
RB Demarco Murray
TE
WR/RB Eddie Lacy
WR/RB/TE
K
DEF

10 out of the 12 teams have QB's already (neg pts for sacks, ints), and the top QBs available are Stafford, Romo, Eli Manning and Dalton. With only 1 other team needing a QB, I feel I can wait to draft a QB in a few rounds.

I feel like since I'm a new team in this league and that some teams are STACKED (one team has Foster, AP, Julio, Peyton, T-Rich), so I doubt I'll have a chance to win it this year. I think my best bet would be to look at 2 or 3 years down the road by drafting upside.

What do you think of Marcus Lattimore? If he wasn't hurt this year, he would have been easily the best RB in the draft. Is it worth the chance?

Other rookies available are Franklin, Stacy, Hopkins(i like him), Dobson, PAtterson
or....
go with a guy like Cecil Shorts, Greg Jennings, Stevie Johnson, Britt, Josh Gordon, Ben Tate, Ingram?

sorry for the long read, I'll help any ones post in return
kevinkallberg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Trying to decide who to draft next.....WHIR

Postby jasonpsprague » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:24 am

Lattimore could be able to be back by mid-season, but with all the other RBs the 49ers have I think it'll be hard to rush him into action this year. Gore it on the wrong side of 30, and unless they give someone else a chance and get blown away by them this year, I think Lattimore can win the starting role next year. Josh Gordon isn't a bad pick either. If you don't think you can win right away anyway then his 4 game suspension isn't a problem. It's always possible too to draft a win now guy and trade him to a contender at the deadline for a draft pick or 2 to help rebuild.
10 team PPR Dynasty QB,2WR,2RB,TE,2Flex
Stafford, Roeth, Vick
Calvin, Roddy, Demaryius, Blackmon, Hill
Rice, Sproles, Bradshaw, DarylRich, Powell, Hillman, LeShoure
Graham, Daniels
jasonpsprague
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby jasonpsprague » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:25 am

Lattimore could be able to be back by mid-season, but with all the other RBs the 49ers have I think it'll be hard to rush him into action this year. Gore it on the wrong side of 30, and unless they give someone else a chance and get blown away by them this year, I think Lattimore can win the starting role next year. Josh Gordon isn't a bad pick either. If you don't think you can win right away anyway then his 4 game suspension isn't a problem. It's always possible too to draft a win now guy and trade him to a contender at the deadline for a draft pick or 2 to help rebuild.
Stafford, Roeth, Vick
Graham, Daniels
jasonpsprague
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Jason497 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:01 am

I'll think a little outside the box here.

I'd gamble on Ben Tate here before I gambled on Lattimore. He's a free agent next year and could very well lock down a starting job of his own somewhere.

You might have to wait 2 years for Gore to go away and Lattimore to pay off, and even then it's not a certainty. Plus I think Lattimore would be a reach here, I think you could get him a couple rounds from now...maybe I'm wrong though.

I wouldn't wait past round 8 for your QB, I've seen countless times in mocks where people lose out on one of the top 12 by letting them slip into the 9th.

Josh Gordon or Greg Jennings would be an excellent pick here too. You are pretty weak at RB and you can start 4 of them, so you might think about trying to go Tate, QB, Lattimore the next 3 rounds. If you are high on Lattimore, you could go WR, QB, Lattimore too.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Postby jasonpsprague » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:38 pm

I agree with Lattimore being a reach and I didn't know Tate was a free agent after this season - time to go make a trade for him in my own Dynasty League - but I wouldn't be surprised to see Gore gone after this year. His attempts per game have gone down steadily since 2010, and last year was his lowest since his rookie season.
He's had 2 healthy years, but I would attribute that to luck and a reduced work load as much as anything. Lattimore is not assured the position once Gore is gone (I was burned by Atlanta twice by them signing Michael Turner and Steven Jackson instead of letting Jerious Norwood and Jacquizz Rodgers take over) but he's a tremendous talent. And he's on the wrong side of 30 which scares me almost as much as Sproles being there too. Can't really go wrong here though by taking either of them, or one of the WRs mentioned.
Stafford, Roeth, Vick
Graham, Daniels
jasonpsprague
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions