discussion/strategy (long read but WHIR) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

discussion/strategy (long read but WHIR)

Moderator: Football Moderators

discussion/strategy (long read but WHIR)

Postby sabomnim » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:01 am

So i play in a 10 man, ppr, 6 pt td league
I have the first pick

In debating on who to take with my 3rd pick. I can't decide on either rb or wr.
here is my current strategy for the first 7 rounds

1) RB
2) RB
3)?
4) WR
5) WR
6) WR
7) QB

My league starts qb, 2 rbs, 3 wrs, flex, te, pk, def
so we have potential for a lot of wrs on the roster

To make my choice between wr or rb comparable, whoever i draft in the 3rd round will essentially be my flex (since the RB slots will be filled my 1st 2 rounds and the 3 WR slots filled in rounds 4, 5, and 6)

If i go wr (say Julio Jones) I'll have a great starting line up but weak at rb bench

If i go rb (say reggie bush) I'll have a lower "projected" scoring team but a more well rounded bench. I won't have that elite wr on the team but i won't have to rely on luck down the road hoping my rbs stay healthy and that a late/waiver rb steps up to full in.

my roster will end up with a ton of WRs so ill have room for those "potential" players
rb is so scarce late that it may be better to get 3 good, then forget about it until the very end and maybe pick up 1 "potential"
either way ill end up with plenty of WRs

am I better off getting RB over with and not having to worry about finding a diamond in the rough
or should I solidify my starting lineup with an elite WR and not worry about depth at RB

to add to things, the other option is to get brees/rodgers with the 3rd pick. Theres a good chance that they will still be there so I can get them and just go WR the next 4 rounds. This would leave me in a similar situation as going WR in terms of RB depth but the difference between brees and matt ryan should hopefully compensate

Just looking for others thoughts
If you ever need help, feel free to leave a link or pm me and i will always do my best to help (you can even PM me later in the season if you need help)

Thanks
WHIR 100%
sabomnim
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: discussion/strategy (long read but WHIR)

Postby duffoholic » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:40 am

I find going in with a rigid plan like this isn't the best idea. You should be trying to get the players that give you the biggest advantage over the next player on the board at their position. If WR's go on a tear in round 3 and you drafted a 3rd RB like Mojo or Reggie Bush, you could miss out at top tier WR since your 4th round pick doesn't come until 38. However, if the other teams in your league are still picking through the scraps at RB you could luck out. It is all about knowing your league and adjusting to what they do during the draft. I mean, RB, RB, RB, WR is a great idea but if Calvin falls to round 2 for some insane reason, you'd be a fool to pass on him. The same thing goes for Jimmy Graham falling to 18 or Gronk falling to you at that 38th pick; I don't see how you pass on those guys.

As a side note, you are in a 10 man league. There should be plenty of RB depth later on in the draft. Between a crop of rookies with several potential starters and guys like Mendenhall who stand to put up decent numbers in a new location, you should be okay to build RB depth in rounds 6-8.

I guess my best advice would be to do a couple mocks and see where the guys you want to target are ending up. Maybe look at last year's draft in this league of yours and try to figure out the trends. Does one guy always start the runs on TE's, Wr's and QB's? Maybe try to get in there before that guy.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)

Postby oe14203 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:33 am

Definitely the best strategy is to be fluid. Make sure you are taking the best player at that time. That said, with your draft pick, I would definitely take the top RB first pick. I still lean AP due to Minn not having anything else, like last year. But If a top WR is better than the best available RB next go WR. Maybe look to take a Lamar Miller late who could be a steal. Also the difference b/t Jimmy Graham and the next TE is quite large...unless you think Gronk will stay healthy. Might not be a bad 3rd round pick. Just some thoughts.

Help here please

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/posting.php?mode=post&f=18
oe14203
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Captain Eddie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:22 am

Agree with others above. Build your draft board but don't marry it.
Captain Eddie
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 79)

Postby murphysxm » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:01 am

Kind of with the rest. Although I fully expect to go RB/RB based on the lack of RB depth this year, if the draft gives me value at other positions I need to be able to adapt.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby mycuccismells » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:14 am

I think the fact that this is a PPR league AND you start 3 WR, i would want to get a WR in one of the first 3 rounds. This also means that your league mates are probably thinking the same and the possibility of RBS falling back to you in the 4th round are a little higher. Also because its 6pt passing TDs (I think thats what you meant) people will tend to value Rodgers and Brees a little higher as well.

You work all of these factors in and i think that you can definitely get a viable RB3 on the turn at round 4/5 without a problem. As others said dont be rigid in your strategy, but make sure you are factoring in the scoring just as much as the roster requirements. The fact that this is a PPR and 6pt TDs should alter the strategy fairly substantially.
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 358)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions