Help with keeper league offseason trades - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Help with keeper league offseason trades

Moderator: Football Moderators

Help with keeper league offseason trades

Postby johnny rotten » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:03 am

So I play in a 2 keeper league thats been running for probably 10 years now. We have an owner who has 3 first round worthy players on his roster from 2012, and he is adamant he should be able to trade one of them for 2013 draft picks. Of course there is now heated debate over whether or not this should be permitted, seems to me if you keep 2 players and trade a third you are basically keeping 3 players. In the past we have allowed trades involving one of your 2 keepers for picks and he is convinced what he is trying to do is no different, despite the obvious fact that he would be using more than 2 players from his 2012 roster to improve his 2013 roster.
Looking for some outside perspective on this, what are your thoughts? Should he be allowed to use more than 2 players from 2012 to improve his 2013 roster, or should he be forced to choose 2 of them and move on?

Thanks in advance!
johnny rotten
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Help with keeper league offseason trades

Postby xclusive1987 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:26 am

He should be allowed to do this. As long as the person trading for the player realizes he will have to use a keeper spot on his new acquisition, there should be no issue. He's basically losing the pick plus whoever he would have kept before the trade.

Look at it as a reward for ending the season with the players he did.
xclusive1987
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 75)

Postby tantrix1969 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:53 pm

All the keeper leagues I'm in allow trading for draft picks but if you have only been allowing the trade to be one of the 2 keepers then its basicly a rule change and there needs to be a vote.
"When you watch him play, you’re like, ‘Oh God, he’s going to kill somebody,’ and that’s what I like about the young man.” ~ Jerome Henderson on Cowboys rookie safety J.J. Wilcox
tantrix1969
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 92)

Postby Hags888 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:18 pm

johnny rotten wrote:So I play in a 2 keeper league thats been running for probably 10 years now. We have an owner who has 3 first round worthy players on his roster from 2012, and he is adamant he should be able to trade one of them for 2013 draft picks. Of course there is now heated debate over whether or not this should be permitted, seems to me if you keep 2 players and trade a third you are basically keeping 3 players. In the past we have allowed trades involving one of your 2 keepers for picks and he is convinced what he is trying to do is no different, despite the obvious fact that he would be using more than 2 players from his 2012 roster to improve his 2013 roster.
Looking for some outside perspective on this, what are your thoughts? Should he be allowed to use more than 2 players from 2012 to improve his 2013 roster, or should he be forced to choose 2 of them and move on?

Thanks in advance!

This why having a detailed league constitution is helpful. The first question to answer is: what is the rule about trading draft picks, and when is the trade deadline? And secondly, when does the new league year start? Thirdly, when is the keeper designation deadline? These deadlines need to be thought out and in stone to prevent team owners from trying to game the system. If you don't have this all spelled out, then it will be impossible to come up with a fair ruling. You'll probably have to put it to a league vote in that case.

That said, if it were my league, the league year would "officially" start on the same day that keepers need to be designated. So, the keeper deadline and the league year start date would be at the exact same time. That way you start the league year off with only your 2 kept players and everyone else is dumped back into the free agent pool to be drafted, and hence the owner in question would not be allowed to trade a 3rd player for an additional draft pick. But all of that is moot, because the ruling has to come from whatever is in your league constitution. And if there is no league constitution, then the question needs to go to your league at large to vote on.
SKOL VIKINGS!
Hags888
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 4)

Return to Commissioner's Corner