Advice for a noob in a heavy scoring IDP dynasty startup? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to IDP

Advice for a noob in a heavy scoring IDP dynasty startup?

Advice for a noob in a heavy scoring IDP dynasty startup?

Postby hammertoes » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:56 am

Hey all-

I have just a little bit of experience with IDP. I was a "caretaker" of a dynasty team last year but I didn't draft it.

This year I'm in a dynasty start up where scoring is heavily skewed towards turnovers and sacks. We start 1DT, 2DE, 3LB, 2S, 2CB, and 1Flex, along with 9 offensive players (scoring is a pretty standard PPR for offense, 4pt passing TDs). It's a deep 53 man roster.

-Sacks, Interceptions, Safties, and Fumble recoveries are 6pts!

-Forced fumbles, Assisted sacks, and blocked kicks are 3pts.

-Tackles are 2pts (or 1.5 for DEs and LBs)

-Plus there are points for return yardage and TDs

What I'm wondering is, in a league like this with such high scoring IDP, when should I look to start drafting IDP players? Am I taking my first DE or LB before I'm taking a QB or my second RB? Any advice for the types of players I should be looking at or how I should approach making my rankings? Thanks in advance!
hammertoes
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Advice for a noob in a heavy scoring IDP dynasty startup

Postby Jason497 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:04 pm

I'd draft the stud D-linemen early that get a ton of sacks (JJ Watt, Jared Allen ect...), like maybe even in the 5th or 6th round or so. 6 point sacks is ridiculous, but IDP is still a crapshoot with a lot of no names emerging every year, don't overthink it and grab them before your 2nd RB, it's still a dynasty and RBs are still hard to come by.

I'd rather grab a beast DL than a beast LB or DB, because LBs/DBs are going to score close with all those 2 point tackles (or 1.5, kinda confusing since assists are 3 points), but the beast DL with a lot of sacks are going to insanely outscore other DL. Kinda like how Jimmy Graham and Gronk insanely outscore other TEs, I imagine it'll be like that.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Schierup1987 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:13 am

I'm in the thinking that on defense the only player that's going to get points on a regular basis is a LB they are kind of like a RB or QB they are going to touch the ball where a WR could have a break out game or lay a egg on a given week. They same with LB for the most part the MLB are going to get there tackles where as a stud DE might get a sack or a few tackles or they may not, when they have a good game your going to get rewarded but if they don't your losing valuable points that week. In my new Dynasty league Watt went number one overall which is wild I think. But the majority of Defensive players started coming off the board in round 4-5. Hope this helps I have only been doing IDP for 3-4 years so just getting my feet wet my self best of luck this year.
Schierup1987
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby Lucky Dog Hot Sauce » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:31 pm

hammertoes wrote:Hey all-

I have just a little bit of experience with IDP. I was a "caretaker" of a dynasty team last year but I didn't draft it.

This year I'm in a dynasty start up where scoring is heavily skewed towards turnovers and sacks. We start 1DT, 2DE, 3LB, 2S, 2CB, and 1Flex, along with 9 offensive players (scoring is a pretty standard PPR for offense, 4pt passing TDs). It's a deep 53 man roster.

-Sacks, Interceptions, Safties, and Fumble recoveries are 6pts!

-Forced fumbles, Assisted sacks, and blocked kicks are 3pts.

-Tackles are 2pts (or 1.5 for DEs and LBs)

-Plus there are points for return yardage and TDs

What I'm wondering is, in a league like this with such high scoring IDP, when should I look to start drafting IDP players? Am I taking my first DE or LB before I'm taking a QB or my second RB? Any advice for the types of players I should be looking at or how I should approach making my rankings? Thanks in advance!

In a 2 point tackle league LBs are indeed the most consistent scorers - but there are a lot of them. If you have an elite LB, you can get by with a few #2's with upside (guys like Timmons are perfect for your format - lots of tackles, some sacks, the occasional FF/DFR

My advice is to follow the crowd - you never know when someone's going to pop the cherry on an IDP position, so let someone else do it. I'd also suggest being one of the top 5 teams to get a premier DL. They're like the RBs of IDP - only a handful will put up consistent points. After the top 8 or so the points drop off a cliff. If you can get JJ Watt in the mid-5th, do it. He's 100+ points over the next DL in your format - he's ridiculous. Then I wouldn't touch a D position until the 7th-8th. Runs happen in IDP like any league, so I'd suggest waiting until someone else starts one and capitalizing by getting a couple top guys. I love having my 2 bookend DL/DT wrapped up by the 10th, (this year Wake in the 8th, Geno Atkins in the 10th and I didn't let Greg Hardy get past me in the 13th which was a little greedy, but good for a BYE or trade).

For the LBs the best strategy I've found is to get 3-4 of the 2nd tier guys, or 1 first tier and a few 2nd/3rd tier. The points differential between the #7 LB and the #20 LB is about 20 points (over a season, just over 1 ppg)

DBs are the kickers of the IDP world...sorta. There's a lot of them and they all score about the same. You want Safeties in your format because 100 tackles = 200 points. (well, tkl and 1/2 tkl about 150 points)

Best advice I've got. And don't get hung up chasing sacks. You're in a tackle heavy league so let the other guys use the standard DL rankings. You need to look at the ranked lists of DL players (because your league mates will draft that way most likely) and see which of the lower ranked guys are undervalued because of your scoring system. In your case, tackles are king.

Good luck!
Lucky Dog Hot Sauce
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to IDP