Draft help! 12 team league w/ keepers, auction format-WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Draft help! 12 team league w/ keepers, auction format-WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft help! 12 team league w/ keepers, auction format-WHIR

Postby TsunamiMike » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:06 pm

This is my second year in this league, it is a standard format, auction style draft and you can keep 3 guys. We get points for return yards as well.

Here is my dilemma:

I have $160 to draft a team and get an additional 10 after the draft for WW moves.

Here are the guys I have and their value for 2013 that I would owe if I kept them:
QB:
Peyton Manning:$21
J. Flacco: $7
Rb:
A Peterson: $36
C spiller: $6
J Charles: $36

WR:
Not mentioning as none are worth keeping

TE:
Gronk: $36

I am wrestling with this but I think my best option is:
Manning/Peterson/spiller for a total of $63 which gives me $97 to draft3 WR, 1 TE, 6 bench players a kicker and a Dst.

So thinking my bench players, Dst and kicker go for $1 that's a total of $8 off my $97 which gives me $89 to spend on 3 WR and 1 TE.

I am curious if you think I should go for the gusto and pick up megaton which typically goes for around $50 which would give me $39 left for 2 WR and 1 TE so if I average out the 3 positions it will be $13 for each guy.

Am I putting all my eggs ione basket? Are my keepers right? Any help is appreciated and I will help in return 100%
TsunamiMike
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 56)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Draft help! 12 team league w/ keepers, auction format-WH

Postby VIKINGFAN » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:04 am

I like your standard keepers @ Manning/Peterson/Spiller, thats the right move.

As for dumping $50 on Megatron, I would try to spread it around, WR is a deep position. You already are locked at 1 top 5 QB, and 1 top 5 RB.....and arguably another top 5 RB, in Spiller.
VIKINGFAN
Head Coach
Head Coach

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 26)

Postby mycuccismells » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:44 am

Im not a huge auction guy, but i think your keepers are right as well. I would also agree that spending over half of your remaining money on one player seems a bit excessive, but i dont know about keeper prices to suggest where to go. Im assuming that for $90 you could probably acquire 3 top 10 WRs (bottom half of top 10 maybe) and then for your $7 you can maybe get someone along the lines of a Pitta? I would much rather have something like D Thomas/ R White/ VJax than Calvin and a pair of middling WRs
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 358)

Postby TsunamiMike » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:07 pm

I agree with you but my issue is the "Keeper" side of things. If you look at the top 15 based on our scoring system projected for this year:

Calvin Johnson - Current 2012 Salary was 47
KEEPER: AJ Green - Current 2012 Salary was 11 <lucky pick up from rookie season> /2013 salary 16
KEEPER: Dez Bryant - Current 2012 Salary was 25 / 2013 salary 30
MAY BE A KEEPER:Brandon Marshall - Current 2012 Salary was 20/2013 could be 25
KEEPER: Julio Jones - Current 2012 Salary was 20 / 2013 salary 25
KEEPER: D Thomas - Current 2012 Salary was 19 / 2013 salary24
Percy Harvin - Current 2012 Salary was 18
KEEPER: Randall Cobb - Current 2012 Salary was 7<lucky pick up from rookie season>/2013 salary 12
Roddy White - Current 2012 Salary was 31
Larry Fitzgerald - Current 2012 Salary was 40
Andre Johnson - Current 2012 Salary was 30
KEEPER: V Jackson - Current 2012 Salary was 11/ 2013 salary 16
KEEPER: Victor Cruz - Current 2012 Salary was 17/ 2013 salary 22
Wes Welker - Current 2012 Salary was 18
M Colston - Current 2012 Salary was 22

This is what we know right now as the keepers are not due until August 10th, 7 out of the 15 are spoken for.

Looking at points for the remaining players that are not being kept look like this:

Calvin Johnson: 230 points
MAY BE KEEPER: Brandon Marshall: 202 pts
Percy Harvin: 186 pts
Roddy White: 183 pts
Larry Fitzgerald: 182 pts
Andre Johnson: 182 pts
Wes Welker: 166 pts
M Colston: 165 pts

So with that information what is a guy to do? Not alot of points after Megatron goes off the board though...
TsunamiMike
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mycuccismells » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:27 pm

Do you realistically think that you could get 3 of those remaining guys with your $90 if you leave Calvin alone, something like Harvin/Roddy/Andre?? Its either that or Colston/Calvin and then maybe someone along the lines of Jordy Nelson; I would be happy with either scenario.

Do you know what order players will be put up to auction? If so i would try and see if i could snatch 3 solid guys, but if their price goes up maybe you go for one and Calvin and then take a shot on 2-3 cheaper guys at WR3 and hope one pans out. Load up on guys like Cecil Shorts, Denario Alexander, Michael Floyd, etc and hope one has a big season.

A core of Manning, Spiller, Peterson, Calvin along with another top 15 WR as your WR2 should be enough to keep you in it every single week. Then you have a bunch of rotation receivers you can plug in based on who is hot and/or matchups and i would think you would be a formidable team. Plus all those cheap WRs you get could be potential keepers next year since you got them for relatively cheap if you want to move on from Manning at that point
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby TsunamiMike » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:03 pm

I really don't...

Last season was my first ff season ever, I made it to the Super Bowl and lost because I didn't have any WR depth at all, here was my lineup:

QB
P manning
J flacco

Rb
A Peterson
J Charles
Cj spiller

WR
Donnie Avery
James jones
Rob Streater
Brandon Lloyd
D Moore

TE
Gronk
Brandon Myers

Dst
Seahawks

K
D bailey

So as you can see I was pretty set except for WR and was ok as Gronk was putting up crazy points and then Gronk got hurt.

I don't want to make that mistake again though. But I am not sold on picking up 3 random starters from what's left or go for megaton and pick up 2 wr2 or wr3 to help....

Just not sure..
TsunamiMike
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby duffoholic » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:38 am

TsunamiMike wrote:
So as you can see I was pretty set except for WR and was ok as Gronk was putting up crazy points and then Gronk got hurt.

I don't want to make that mistake again though. But I am not sold on picking up 3 random starters from what's left or go for megaton and pick up 2 wr2 or wr3 to help....

Just not sure..

I think blowing your wad on two or three guys would be making the same mistake you made last year. Like most fantasy teams, depth wins in auctions too. It is all about getting value for guys who might slip under the radar. Sometimes that means getting a guy like Spiller for 1$ so you can keep him this year and sometimes it means spending 5 or 6 on a guy who turns into a stud. Sure you know what you would getting from a Brandon Marshal or Roddy white but so does everybody else so you will be paying for it. I would rather go for a guy like Fitz who has a shot at putting up much better numbers this year but could go for less than 15$ since he sucked last season with no QB. I think your best bet is to target your favourite one or two of the big names and then spread the wealth around a little bit so you have some solid depth and maybe strike it rich on a rookie RB for 5-7$ for next season!

Also, I might be alone here, but I feel like keeping your three RB's is a smarter play then Manning. What do QB's usually go for in your league? Will Manning go for a lot more than that this season? Sure this route only leaves you with 82$ for the rest of your roster but depth at RB is ALWAYS valuable as trade bait and just to have. Keeping AP, Charles and Spiller gives you the ability to trade one of those stud RB's for a cheap top shelf WR mid season (there's always one or two who show up) or a solid QB who also isn't too expensive while keeping your team a powerhouse in case of injury. I think this has to be the way to go with your keepers barring some crazy pricing from QBs. I mean, if Manning would normally go for 45-50$, I guess you have to keep him for 21$ but otherwise, I'd take the depth. QB's are numerous this season and I'd rather spend less than 20$ on Romo AND Flacco/Dalton/Eli... etc and save my money for the WR's. This way you could stock up on young WR's and hope to score a big one for next season when Charles is up to 41$ and probably going back into the pool.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)

Postby onehittaquita98 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:23 pm

I would keep all 3 running backs and go spend your money on a QB and a solid WR. You would be stacked at RB and still have enough to get 1 big WR and a very good QB, possibly Manning again. After reading everyone else's view I just think your strongest team would be doing the 3 rb. Am I missing something? Do you not start a flex? If it is 2 RB and 3 WR with no flex then I would say Manning over Charles is the right choice.
onehittaquita98
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 12)

Postby TsunamiMike » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:41 pm

our starting format is

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
TE
K
DST

so your thinking p manning, spiller and ap? Then go for?
TsunamiMike
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mycuccismells » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:56 pm

The fact that you dont start a flex is why i think keeping the 3 RBs is a waste. If you start Peterson and Charles and sit Spiller every week then you completely waste the great value you got to keep Spiller, if you keep Charles on the bench then you have over 20% of your budget wasting away aside from injury and bye weeks. Yes its great to have 3 #1 Rbs and that would be great depth, but its a pretty expensive safety net if you ask me.

As I said before i dont know auction prices but i would assume Peyton probably goes for around $30+ so at $21 you are getting decent value and guaranteeing a solid QB with a great situation. You are going to get 50-60 points out of those guys on a weekly basis which takes some of the pressure off of you to fill out your WRs.

As far as WRs go i think last year you just didnt get good ones, had nothing to do with depth. One would argue that you had a couple of flex guys (and a couple of duds) and James Jones is the only one that really worked out for you. If you go with Calvin you will be in a similar situation, you will have $46 for 2 starting WR, a starting TE, K/D, and 6 bench spots which doesnt give you much flexibility.

You say you can spend $1 on every bench spot, but if you do that you will end up in the same spot you were in last year. I would rather spend somewhere in the range of $50 for 3 guys like Colston, Jordy and Mike Williams. You spend $16 on a decent TE along with a K/D and that leaves you $30 for your 6 bench spots. Spend $10 on a solid RB3 for bye week fill in (and potential keeper value) and another $10 on a solid backup WR for the same reasons. Then take your last $10 and take fliers on your last 4 bench spots
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions