The Rams Receiver You Should Actually be Drafting - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Rams Receiver You Should Actually be Drafting

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Rams Receiver You Should Actually be Drafting

Postby Guru13 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:23 pm

Everyone is jumping on the Tavon Austin bandwagon but I just don't see the value. Incredible athlete and playmaker no doubt, but he's a rookie and there's always a level of uncertainty with rookies. Hear me out here, but I'd like to make a case for Austin Pettis as the rams leader in virtually every receiving category, even if the Rams plan to spread the ball around a lot. I'm not even really referring to the fact that he apparently lit up OTAs, a lot of players look good in shorts and a t-shirt. I've been a Pettis supporter since the Rams drafted him three years ago and I believe we'll see him begin to shine this year. He's a crisp route-runner, the longest-tenured receiver with Bradford (excluding Lance Kendricks, but...), and has incredible hands - I swear the man catches with stickum-covered pillows. Reports suggest he's competing with Brian Quick for a spot on the outside but if you watched the rams (and you can watch every target of his on youtube), you'd know that he lines up everywhere, is completely fearless, is constantly in motion and seems to understand all the receiver positions. He's proven himself a reliable red-zone target, and with the improvements the Rams have made to their O-line, along with Bradfords first year running the same offense as the year previous, Pettis seems like the obvious benefactor to me. Austin is bound to deal with some rookie struggles and Jared Cook is in his first year with the Rams and in all reality has never lived up to the hype (although I suppose this could be the year). I'm not suggesting Pettis is gonna go crazy or anything, the offense is just going to spread the ball around too much, but it seems perfectly realistic to me that he could double his TD total, potentially putting him at 8 for the year. According to FFToolbox, he's not even being drafted, and frankly, I just don't get it. Obviously the Rams have been nothing resembling an offensive powerhouse recently but it would be hard to deny that they're on the up-and-up. The likes of A.J. Jenkins and Brandon LaFell are being drafted before him. I believe that Pettis' upside far exceeds that of those players.

Thoughts? Think I'm an idiot? Let's hear it. ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: The Rams Receiver You Should Actually be Drafting

Postby Guru13 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:25 pm

Well let me alter that slightly. If he leads them in receiving yards it'd be a bit of a surprise admittedly.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:26 pm

CBS has him listed at 5th on the depth chart now. I guess we'll see how he does through camp and all, but I'd say he doe shave a chance to have a big year.

And I won't call you an idiot, just a little nutty...

;-)
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 415)

Postby m16a » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:11 am

Still got that man crush on Pettis do ya? Still unhappy that I grabbed him over you in ECDL? :-b

He's rotting on my bench in a deep league, hoping that he does something. Bradford needs someone to throw to, and maybe this famed third year can do something of benefit and be a breakout for him? Who knows... Rams have a lot of similar tier guys like Quick, Pettis, and Givens right now, with some interesting rookies like Bailey, and obviously Tavon. This just seems to be a situation that isn't gonna shake out until a lot closer to the season and that needs to see some real games happen to be accurately judged.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Return to Football Talk