Return Yardage League Owners!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Return Yardage League Owners!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Return Yardage League Owners!!

Postby HairyHelmet » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:56 pm

Hello, I am an avid fantasy football player who plays in a few return yardage leagues each year. Many fantasy football guys look down on this particular format for a number of reasons but I personaly like the change of pace. 3 of my 5 leagues are 10 return yards = 1 point (which is the most extreme I've played). I believe it adds a new and interesting aspect to the game. Though I am probably not the most qualified or most knowledgeable when it comes to fantasy football, I do well consistently in my leagues and would like to think it has something to do with a little more than luck. I've felt that there is a desire and a need for a return yard league section for those of us who like to participate in this format and figured I'd hopefuly start an open discussion rather than a set mindset on the style.

That said, I would like to defend the league type quickly. Most critics will say that there is too much luck involved when factoring in returners. Or for that matter the large amount of points that are possible from a big game from one of them can change an entire matchup. Or that there is no way to judge who will be a returner from one game to the next. .... I have found being my 5th year using this system, that while there is luck involved, It really isn't any more luck than your average league. You are starting guys on probability or projection due to matchups and upside. You also are enjoying one of the most exciting plays in football, the return game. While many were worried that the new NFL return rules would negatively affect the style, the influence while noticeable, was slight when it comes to fantasy. It is just another factor to think about when determining who to start...(are they in Denver?) Also while more players will hold value I've found that with a couple added flex spots it actualy spreads out nicely for those in a 12 team league. I would just hope people would consider the style even if you decide that it is not for you.

With that out of the way I wanted to see if their are others still who would be interested in compiling information regarding returners here. Soon I would like to make a list (one that would change frequently especially being this early in training camps). If anyone else would like to add their lists I would find it helpful as I'm sure everyone else would.

While this message may not be the most eliquent I wanted to make sure to try and start one up or hopefuly intice someone else to. ;-D
1st $12 Team Return 2 Flex 6 TD pass Keeper -Yahoo Sunday Black n' Blue
1st $12 Team Return 2 Flex -Yahoo GRIDIRON MASTERS
1st $12 Team PPR 2 QB -Yahoo MeanAssStaleys
3rd $12 Team Return 3 Flex No Kicker -Yahoo Td's N Beer
HairyHelmet
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Return Yardage League Owners!!

Postby murphysxm » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:14 pm

I have one league that uses return yards. It amazes me how so many owners don't factor it into their rankings. Rode Randall Cobb, Darren Sproles and David Wilson to the title last year. All drafted mid to late.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:29 pm

HairyHelmet wrote:Soon I would like to make a list (one that would change frequently especially being this early in training camps). If anyone else would like to add their lists I would find it helpful as I'm sure everyone else would

That would be great if you started a list a kept it updated for us. ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby HairyHelmet » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:50 pm

dream_017 wrote:
HairyHelmet wrote:Soon I would like to make a list (one that would change frequently especially being this early in training camps). If anyone else would like to add their lists I would find it helpful as I'm sure everyone else would

I will do this soon but I will need help with updates for sure. Obviously these lists are speculative in nature mostly so I just fear that I won't be able to keep up. :-?
HairyHelmet
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby HairyHelmet » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:54 pm

murphysxm wrote:I have one league that uses return yards. It amazes me how so many owners don't factor it into their rankings. Rode Randall Cobb, Darren Sproles and David Wilson to the title last year. All drafted mid to late.

Cobb and Wilson were beasts! We still have a couple guys in the league I run that still don't really factor in returners until the very late rounds. We also have the other extreme where a guy goes mostly projected returners by reaching for them. It makes the draft a surprise every year.
HairyHelmet
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby m16a » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:00 pm

murphysxm wrote:I have one league that uses return yards. It amazes me how so many owners don't factor it into their rankings. Rode Randall Cobb, Darren Sproles and David Wilson to the title last year. All drafted mid to late.

I've had Sproles for years in a dynasty that counts return yardage. To say that he is given a boost because of it would be a horrendous understatement.

HairyHelmet wrote:
dream_017 wrote:

I will do this soon but I will need help with updates for sure. Obviously these lists are speculative in nature mostly so I just fear that I won't be able to keep up. :-?

Start it up man! People like you are the reason the Cafe is a phenomenal fantasy site. Once you get it going, I'm sure some of our news gurus out there will be glad to help contribute to what you're doing. Get the ball rolling on this if you can, and it will surely be a great resource. Heck, might even be able to make it into an article nearer to the season and earn a shiny icon for your troubles. ;-D
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby HairyHelmet » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:59 pm

viewtopic.php?t=534734

There are still names to be added soon but this is a start.
HairyHelmet
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Danny T » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 pm

I like having return yards and other non-standard scoring like extra points for catches or passes over say 30 or 40 yards. This makes it more interesting and it takes away from the players who only subscribe to help sites that set drafts and roster changes since most all of these cannot be configured to include these stats. Same goes for extra points for FG distance.
Danny T
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Football Talk