Why Not Use Week 17 In Fantasy Football? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Why Not Use Week 17 In Fantasy Football?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why Not Use Week 17 In Fantasy Football?

Postby Eric21ND » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I'm tempted to use week 17 in my leagues this season. Usually leagues don't use Week 17 because many playoff-bound NFL teams rest starters ahead of the playoffs, but this seems to be overreacting to the facts. Last season it seems almost every major star was playing week 17, and not only playing the game to phone-in a performance, but they were playing well.

I run 20 team leagues and this seems like a good way to squeeze out an extra week of football for everyone in the league. The only teams this could potential affect would be the two teams in the championship game. What are the odds that these two teams will actually have a star player that is going to be benched that last week? Like I stated before, this is a remote possibility. Look at what transpired in week 17 of the 2012 season here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/scoreboard/2012/week17 Many star players on playoff teams that you would assume were benched actually played very well. Both Manning and Rogers threw for 300 yards and Brees nearly threw for 400 yards. Adrian Peterson ran for nearly 200 yards this last week.

Even if the championship game is affected by this schedule, why is a player being rested in Week 17 any different than a player injury in Week 4 or a bye week? A fantasy team's bench counts and that's true in the playoffs. Fantasy sports is a game of adjustments, and managers should be able to adapt if this unlikely scenario comes about. I think the risk/reward merits playing week 17 for the good of the league as a whole.
Eric21ND
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Why Not Use Week 17 In Fantasy Football?

Postby Mr.Joshua » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:17 pm

Yes, last year there weren't that many players resting.....some yrs there will be more teams resting players than others. Put it to a vote ;-D
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 210)

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:05 pm

I've always liked using all 17 weeks. For one thing, there' s a school of thought out there that fantasy football should emulate the NFL as much as possible. They play 17 weeks, so the fantasy season should include all 17 weeks.

There's always the argument that the star players might be benched. Well, that may happen. That's why you draft backups, you sued them in the bye week, and if the star was injured. A truly better team will have quality backups, IMO. And that, my friend, is the team that should be called Champion.

So yeah, I say go for it. Start the trend!
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 415)

Postby Mr.Joshua » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:19 pm

Gibbs Baby!!! wrote:There's always the argument that the star players might be benched. Well, that may happen. That's why you draft backups, you sued them in the bye week, and if the star was injured. A truly better team will have quality backups, IMO. And that, my friend, is the team that should be called Champion.

So yeah, I say go for it. Start the trend!

Excellent point Gibbs
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 210)

Postby LSUby50 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:24 pm

Week 17 is a joke in the NFL. Some teams arent really trying to win, alot are resting for playoffs, and some teams are trying harder than others because some have playoff implications and some are ready for the offseason to start. You dont want your whole season of ffb to be decided with all the variables of that week. That's the idea. You want the best teams to win ffb, not the luckiest or team with the most players playing in the last week.

One year i dominated all season and then lost in the superbowl because Peyton Manning only played a half. (and i think that was week 16, when the colts were undefeated.) Lost by about 2 points. Ending it week 16 still seems the best, but if not, end it at week 15. Definitely not 17.
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 59)

Postby hitnrun0264 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:31 pm

I enjoy the unpredictability of week 17. Its not like you can predict at the beginning of the season who is going to be playing on week 17. I think it adds something to the championship game. Another thing we do to combat this, is to only allow waiver pick-ups by the two teams that are in the championship.

If you are a true champion than you have to make the right decisions all the way through the season. That includes making the tough decision to sit Manning in week 17, and play Dalton, because the Broncos are already in the playoffs and the Bengals and fighting to get in. Just an example...
hitnrun0264
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 22)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:39 pm

I use week 17 in my league but not for the Super Bowl.

Instead we have the Aloha Bowl for half your money back $50. You just have to score the highest for the week. Drop Peyton Manning if he isnt playing and grab someone who will to create the best lineup. Just be sure to beat all other 11 teams.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby dream_017 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:14 am

Why do you need to use week 17? First of all, week 17 would be for the championship game, why would you want the championship game played with rosters that may or may not be what was used to get them there. Week 17 should not be used for a Championship game and I would not be in a league that used it.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby hitnrun0264 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:43 pm

dream_017 wrote:Why do you need to use week 17? First of all, week 17 would be for the championship game, why would you want the championship game played with rosters that may or may not be what was used to get them there. Week 17 should not be used for a Championship game and I would not be in a league that used it.

Its not like its an unfair advantage to either team. Both teams have to deal with the fact that they might have players that are resting for the playoffs.

You make it sound like you have to drop your whole team and pick up all new players. Most likely you will only have 1 or 2 players that might need to be switched out. And most teams don't even rest players that much. Just look at the patriots and how they would pile it on to teams late in the year.
hitnrun0264
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 22)

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:53 pm

dream_017 wrote:Why do you need to use week 17? First of all, week 17 would be for the championship game, why would you want the championship game played with rosters that may or may not be what was used to get them there. Week 17 should not be used for a Championship game and I would not be in a league that used it.

i agree, championship should be decided by who has the best starters, not the best backups. week 17 is too much of a crap shoot as to who will play in the NFL and who will sit.

If people want to extend the season they need to do some type of NFL playoff league game.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner