Why Not Use Week 17 In Fantasy Football? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Why Not Use Week 17 In Fantasy Football?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Why Not Use Week 17 In Fantasy Football?

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:44 am

hitnrun0264 wrote:Most likely you will only have 1 or 2 players that might need to be switched out.

Not being able to use 1-2 of your top 4-5 players is HUGE, especially in a championship game.

hitnrun0264 wrote:Just look at the patriots and how they would pile it on to teams late in the year

So, as long as you have Patriots then it is OK :-B
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Eric21ND » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:58 pm

dream_017 wrote:Why do you need to use week 17? First of all, week 17 would be for the championship game, why would you want the championship game played with rosters that may or may not be what was used to get them there. Week 17 should not be used for a Championship game and I would not be in a league that used it.

Because it would give everyone in the league (I have 20 players mind you) an extra week of fantasy football pushing the 8-team playoffs back to week 15-17. I'm basically being greedy because I enjoy my league so much and want to milk every ounce of fantasy football from it I can get.
Eric21ND
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 16)

Postby dream_017 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:13 am

Eric21ND wrote:
dream_017 wrote:Why do you need to use week 17? First of all, week 17 would be for the championship game, why would you want the championship game played with rosters that may or may not be what was used to get them there. Week 17 should not be used for a Championship game and I would not be in a league that used it.

Because it would give everyone in the league (I have 20 players mind you) an extra week of fantasy football pushing the 8-team playoffs back to week 15-17. I'm basically being greedy because I enjoy my league so much and want to milk every ounce of fantasy football from it I can get.

Having the Championship game in week 17 trumps any enjoyment you could milk out of having 1 extra game
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby FF For Life » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:35 pm

I use 17 weeks. Week 17 is the championship match up and what better what to test the skills of those teams, then maybe having to use the bench more than normal. It's a test to see how well you have built up that bench during the year. LIke others have said, not too many starters sat last year.
MY TEAM:
10 team 4 keeper PPR league: (Starters in bold)
QB:Brees,Rivers
RB: A.Peterson. Sproles, Murray (flex), DeAngelo Williams
WR: Julio Jones, Cruz,Garcon, Jeffrey, Douglas, ROyal
TE: Witten
K: Tucker
DEF:Carolina
FF For Life
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Eric21ND » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:09 am

I'm going to use week 17 this season and see how it goes.
Eric21ND
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 16)

Postby Delhomme17 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:00 am

My league splits the pot between points and playoffs, with the top three finishers in each getting paid. The playoff championship is in week 16, but points accrue through week 17. I've found this to be a fair way to placate both the H2H and points advocates, as well as keep week 17 interesting.
Delhomme17
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse Team Leader
(Past Year: 511)

Postby watermanrick » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:17 pm

For the last 6 or7 years, our league has an "Aloha" or Adios bowl in week 17. High Score wins $75.
watermanrick
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:02 pm

watermanrick wrote:For the last 6 or7 years, our league has an "Aloha" or Adios bowl in week 17. High Score wins $75.

That's a pretty cool idea!

unless, has it been won by one of the top teams?
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 415)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:48 am

Gibbs Baby!!! wrote:
watermanrick wrote:For the last 6 or7 years, our league has an "Aloha" or Adios bowl in week 17. High Score wins $75.

That's a pretty cool idea!

unless, has it been won by one of the top teams?

Last year the Super Bowl winner won the aloha bowl but most years it seems someone comes out of the wood work. Waterman Rick is my father who runs the league with me. We try to make the league enjoyable the whole year even for those who are not doing well. Even if they are having a horrific year they can still win money in the toilet bowl and aloha bowl salvaging their year.

Keeps people active all year long ;-D
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner