Bored? Rate My 4 Teams! (WHIR) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

Bored? Rate My 4 Teams! (WHIR)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bored? Rate My 4 Teams! (WHIR)

Postby inforaGIANTdisaster » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:39 pm

Thus far, I have done 4 drafts. Two snake drafts and two auction drafts. I like to mix it up between draft types and draft times so I usually do some in July, some in August, and some in September. All the teams are 10 team leagues with a normal roster (Start 9 including a RB/WR Flex and Bench 7).

Historically, I am very good at FFL. I've played since '07 and last year I managed 15 teams and won 8 leagues and finished in the top 3 in 12 leagues. But I have never finished in the top 3 with a team that I drafted in July. So this year, I tried to break that awful streak by drafting 4 teams that I feel have their strengths. I have my own thoughts which I will share of course in response after I hear you guys. Let me know what you think! As always, I will return the favor to everyone who comments!

Team 1: When In Romo - 10 Team League, Snake draft, 9th Pick
    QB (1): Cam Newton, Tony Romo
    RB (2-3): CJ Spiller, Steven Jackson, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Isaiah Pead, Fred Jackson
    WR (2-3): Percy Harvin, Jordy Nelson, Dwayne Bowe, Antonio Brown, T.Y. Hilton, Michael Floyd
    TE (1): Antonio Gates
    DEF (1): Bengals
    K (1): Randy Bullock

Team 2: Spiller? I Hardly Know Her! - 10 Team League, Snake draft, 7th Pick
    QB (1): Russell Wilson, Ben Roethlisberger
    RB (2-3): CJ Spiller, Maurice Jones-Drew, DeMarco Murray, Benjarvus Green-Ellis, Mike Goodson
    WR (2-3): Brandon Marshall, Percy Harvin, Dwayne Bowe, Danario Alexander, T.Y. Hilton, Chris Givens
    TE (1): Brandon Myers
    DEF (1): Bears
    K (1): Phil Dawson

Team 3: Vick's Dogsitting Inc. - 10 Team League, Auction Draft
    QB (1): Colin Kaepernick, Michael Vick
    RB (2-3): Marshawn Lynch, Leseasn Mccoy, David Wilson, Daryl Richardson, Isaiah Pead, Ben Tate
    WR(2-3): Dez Bryant, Dwayne Bowe, Cecil Shorts, Tavon Austin, Greg Jennings
    TE (1): Brandon Myers
    DEF (1): Bengals
    K (1): Matt Bryant

Team 4: Cruzin' To Victory - 10 Team League, Auction Draft
    QB (1): Cam Newton, Andy Dalton
    RB (2-3): Trent Richardson, Alfred Morris, Le'Veon Bell, Jacquizz Rodgers, Daryl Richardson, Isaac Redman
    WR (2-3): Vincent Jackson, Roddy White, Victor Cruz, Steve Smith (CAR), Tavon Austin
    TE (1): Jared Cook
    DEF (1): Packers
    K (1): Sebastian Janikowski
inforaGIANTdisaster
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Bored? Rate My 4 Teams! (WHIR)

Postby T-Lo » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:42 pm

Team 3 & 4 I like more. Team 3 in particular, I love your RB and WR combinations there. Team 1 and 2 are solid, but you are hurt by Harvin being out for the year now. Honestly throwing 4 teams out there may hurt your chances at replies because it is so much information packed in one post.

I love Gates as a football player but I've passed him off in fantasy, not a fan of that pick at all. Other than that I can't really knock anything, solid drafting all around. In all the leagues I think you'll be losing points at TE to multiple teams each week but I could be proven wrong and the rest of your roster can easily make up for it.
T-Lo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 68)

Postby inforaGIANTdisaster » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:01 am

Yeah, it's the downside to early drafting.

Also, I realized that it's June drafted teams that I've never finished in the top 3 with, not July. But still, drafting teams before training camp risks high profile injuries.

Harvin isn't out for the year yet right? He's waiting on a second opinion last I heard (unless I missed something recent).

Yeah, honestly if I don't get Graham in the third round (which I never do since I always end up with picks 7-10 in snake drafts) then I pass on a TE until late. It's so unpredictable and depends on how the QB on each team uses the TE as a safety valve to dump passes to (sometimes in the red zone) or just another blocker on the Oline. I feel like Myers can I have a great year since Eli historically uses his TEs and I like Houssler out of Arizona since Palmer usually uses his TEs as that safety valve, especially when Fitz is in triple coverage.

And yeah, I didn't expect much responses for four teams in one post. But I usually like to draft a lot of teams (like I said, last year I had 15 and won 8 - not a bad win %) lately because I enjoy it so much.

I'll find your most recent post and comment ! Thanks!
inforaGIANTdisaster
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby bradleyk » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:13 am

When in Romo

QB - Maybe I'm a little too trusting, but I don't think that you need a backup for Newton. He's 6'6" and 260. To top it off, there's going to be a lot of people on the waiver wire to pick up who will be serviceable should Newton be hurt. I think Romo might have been overkill. With that said, it looks like you put 4th round tender on Newton, which was nice.

RB - Spiller and Jackson should be good. I think Jackson will be a monster in Atlanta. I don't like the depth behind it though. BJGE might be the backup half way through, the Rams probably won't have a workhorse back of any type, and Jackson is 32. I like the starters, but the depth is missing.

WR - This was really nice till Harvin got hurt. If he's out for season, then things just got a lot darker. This is why drafting in July is so hard. If Harvin is OK, then you have a good WR1, 2, and 3. Brown, Hilton, and Floyd are nice lottery picks. This looks good, pending Harvin's MRI results.

TE - If he stays healthy, you're good. If he doesn't, there will be 50 TEs on the trash heap about 4 PPG behind Olsen and the rest.

D - I like the pick. Good.

K - He's a kicker.

All in all, I'd say it's not a deep team. You maybe should have spent the pick on Romo on an RB instead. When Spiller and Jackson are on bye, you'll be in trouble. Other than that, I think it isn't a bad team per say.

Team 2
QB - I can buy a backup for Wilson, and that's about the proper price range for a backup, I think.
RB - Spiller is still good. I think MJD will be good, but who knows about that. Murray will spend a lot of time hurt, but you have depth when he's OK. Critique of BJGE still stands, and Goodson might be in jail this year for all we know.
WR - I like Marshall. He's a PPR monster. Harvin critique still stands. Your WR corp is really good, and I think it's fine whether Harvin is or not.
TE - Myers is good. Nice sleeper.
Dep - What was the going price on that one? I don't think it's worth going in the 12th round for a defense, like you probably had to. If they fell to you, then good.
K - He's a kicker.

I like this team better than team 1. WRs aren't as dependant on Harvin, RBs have more depth. Newton will outscore Wilson, but that's the only thing 1 has over 2, I think.

Team 3
QB - I inherently distrust Kaepernick, so I approve of a backup. Vick is the ultimate boom or bust guy, so I approve of him as a backup.
RB - Call me crazy, but I don't like any of those guys. Lynch gets pounded and abused. He's not involved in the passing game enough. Shady may or may not live up to the hype. Wilson may end up in a time share. The Rams aren't likely to have a workhorse back and Pead and Richardson will all stay at flex worthy at best. Tate is good though.
WR - Dez is a headcase. A monumentally talented headcase. He could be worth a first round pick. He might be worth a 6th round pick. He makes me uncomfortable. I appear to be alone. Bowe should be good. Shorts is being thrown at by Gabbert and will be competing with Blackmon for touches, and I don't like it. Austin is a beast WR4, and Jennings is a beast WR5 though.
TE - Brandon Myers is still Brandon Myers.
D - Bengals D is still Bengals D.
K - Kicker is still a kicker.

I think that this is the weakest team. QB and WR are very boom/bust, and I just have a bad vibe about the RBs. Of course, I might be alone in that opinion.

Team 4
QB - Still don't think Newton needs a backup, but Dalton probably didn't cost you too much.
RB - I like this group. The Browns coaches are talking about giving Richardson 300+ touches and Bell appears to be a bargain player. If Morris doesn't get Shanahan'd away, he's also going to be very good. S-Jax will take all of Jacquizz's catches away, and he might fade to black, but you have 3 very good RBs.
WR - V-Jax is a playmaker, White is consistent, Cruz is a nice playmaker, Smith is criminally underrated, and Austin is fantastic for WR 5. This might be the best receiving corp I've ever seen.
TE - I like him. I'm also a Rams fan. But they're acting like they're really going to utilize him. If so, he could be really good. Worst case scenario, TE is deep enough that you wouldn't lose too much dumping him anyways.
D - Losing Woodson will be hard. Could be worse. You can always stream D's anyways.
K - I have a Seabass fetish. I approve.

I think that this is the best team of all of them. Great QB, 3 good RBs, crazy WR depth, hopefully a good TE. You're got a great core.
bradleyk
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 111)

Postby inforaGIANTdisaster » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 am

bradleyk wrote:When in Romo

QB - Maybe I'm a little too trusting, but I don't think that you need a backup for Newton. He's 6'6" and 260. To top it off, there's going to be a lot of people on the waiver wire to pick up who will be serviceable should Newton be hurt. I think Romo might have been overkill. With that said, it looks like you put 4th round tender on Newton, which was nice.

RB - Spiller and Jackson should be good. I think Jackson will be a monster in Atlanta. I don't like the depth behind it though. BJGE might be the backup half way through, the Rams probably won't have a workhorse back of any type, and Jackson is 32. I like the starters, but the depth is missing.

WR - This was really nice till Harvin got hurt. If he's out for season, then things just got a lot darker. This is why drafting in July is so hard. If Harvin is OK, then you have a good WR1, 2, and 3. Brown, Hilton, and Floyd are nice lottery picks. This looks good, pending Harvin's MRI results.

TE - If he stays healthy, you're good. If he doesn't, there will be 50 TEs on the trash heap about 4 PPG behind Olsen and the rest.

D - I like the pick. Good.

K - He's a kicker.

All in all, I'd say it's not a deep team. You maybe should have spent the pick on Romo on an RB instead. When Spiller and Jackson are on bye, you'll be in trouble. Other than that, I think it isn't a bad team per say.

Team 2
QB - I can buy a backup for Wilson, and that's about the proper price range for a backup, I think.
RB - Spiller is still good. I think MJD will be good, but who knows about that. Murray will spend a lot of time hurt, but you have depth when he's OK. Critique of BJGE still stands, and Goodson might be in jail this year for all we know.
WR - I like Marshall. He's a PPR monster. Harvin critique still stands. Your WR corp is really good, and I think it's fine whether Harvin is or not.
TE - Myers is good. Nice sleeper.
Dep - What was the going price on that one? I don't think it's worth going in the 12th round for a defense, like you probably had to. If they fell to you, then good.
K - He's a kicker.

I like this team better than team 1. WRs aren't as dependant on Harvin, RBs have more depth. Newton will outscore Wilson, but that's the only thing 1 has over 2, I think.

Team 3
QB - I inherently distrust Kaepernick, so I approve of a backup. Vick is the ultimate boom or bust guy, so I approve of him as a backup.
RB - Call me crazy, but I don't like any of those guys. Lynch gets pounded and abused. He's not involved in the passing game enough. Shady may or may not live up to the hype. Wilson may end up in a time share. The Rams aren't likely to have a workhorse back and Pead and Richardson will all stay at flex worthy at best. Tate is good though.
WR - Dez is a headcase. A monumentally talented headcase. He could be worth a first round pick. He might be worth a 6th round pick. He makes me uncomfortable. I appear to be alone. Bowe should be good. Shorts is being thrown at by Gabbert and will be competing with Blackmon for touches, and I don't like it. Austin is a beast WR4, and Jennings is a beast WR5 though.
TE - Brandon Myers is still Brandon Myers.
D - Bengals D is still Bengals D.
K - Kicker is still a kicker.

I think that this is the weakest team. QB and WR are very boom/bust, and I just have a bad vibe about the RBs. Of course, I might be alone in that opinion.

Team 4
QB - Still don't think Newton needs a backup, but Dalton probably didn't cost you too much.
RB - I like this group. The Browns coaches are talking about giving Richardson 300+ touches and Bell appears to be a bargain player. If Morris doesn't get Shanahan'd away, he's also going to be very good. S-Jax will take all of Jacquizz's catches away, and he might fade to black, but you have 3 very good RBs.
WR - V-Jax is a playmaker, White is consistent, Cruz is a nice playmaker, Smith is criminally underrated, and Austin is fantastic for WR 5. This might be the best receiving corp I've ever seen.
TE - I like him. I'm also a Rams fan. But they're acting like they're really going to utilize him. If so, he could be really good. Worst case scenario, TE is deep enough that you wouldn't lose too much dumping him anyways.
D - Losing Woodson will be hard. Could be worse. You can always stream D's anyways.
K - I have a Seabass fetish. I approve.

I think that this is the best team of all of them. Great QB, 3 good RBs, crazy WR depth, hopefully a good TE. You're got a great core.

Oh this is fun, someone actually took the time to pick apart my teams (for the record, I've drafted a 5th team since then that you might like as much as the 4th since it's oddly similar though it was a snake draft where as the 4th was auction). Now I can post my own thoughts on my teams.

Team 1: At QB, I've oddly ended up with mobile QBs this year. While I'm aware of their fantasy gold, I'm weary of their ability to stay injury-free always. I know Cam is a healthy QB, but I put in a 4th round pick for him (as you guessed) and I feel that I should have decent insurance for that pick as mobile QBs put themselves in danger more often. I got Romo in the 10th where Andre Brown and Johnathan Stewart at RB were being drafted if you're interested (I hate having backup RBs because it's a guessing game as to what starters will get injured), so I think it's good value. And Romo is ranked 4th in completions and yards the past two years if I remember, so a good backup to have when Carolina turns out to bust this year. At RB, yeah I know I'm lacking in depth. That's going to be everyone's issue this year because RB depth is lacking so much because there is probably sub20 fantasy worthy guys for a RB1-2 spot. I love Spiller this year and though I'm not on the Sjax bandwagon, I get it. He'll get more TDs than ever in STL but probably less yards due to the pass game so it could be a wash. As far as BJGE and Pead goes, I like starting RBs for depth and they are what was left. I wouldn't doubt the Law Firm so much losing his starting spot since he manages 1000+ yard season somehow despite his awful YPC. At WR, yes I'm aware Harvin could ruin this team (a late 3rd round pick), but I did draft nice WR depth...but none were meant to fill an empty WR1 spot so we'll see. Not a huge Gates fan either, but as I said before about TEs, I either get Graham in the 3rd or wait til the end. And yeah Bengals dropped to me.

Team 2: I GOT MJD AT PICK 27 IN THE THIRD ROUND. This was the best value pick of the draft. It has the potential to be similar to the AP situation last year because he has an improved Oline and has the skill set to be a top 3 back. I was excited by this. But same story with Wilson, I like to have a decent backup for mobile guys. I took a chance on Marshall in the 2nd hoping MJD would fall to the 3rd (Otherwise I'd recommend to go RB-RB this year to start a draft). Managed to get Percy in the 4th with prayers he'll stay healthy. Murray has the stuff to be a good fantasy back if he can ever be healthy. He'll be good depth and good flex when healthy. I'm super high on Bowe this year. I think I have great WR depth that a Percy injury won't be as big of a hit on this team. Myers is a favorite of mine (as stated in my last post). Believe it or not, the Bears fell to the 14th so I couldn't resist, though I usually end the draft with DEF-K. And Goodson was a flier pick for when Ivory gets hurt.

Team 3: I'm surprised anyone doubts Kaepernick at all honestly. Yeah he has a tough WR corp and I don't understand how the SF offense manages to be good at all with the people they have, but he proved himself last year in my books. I like Beast Mode Lynch honestly. I loved him back in his Buffalo days (though he has one ugly mug) and he has found a chance to shine in Seattle and shown his fantastic TD ability. Shady...I don't know how I feel about him yet. I feel like Kelly's spread offense gives him a chance to put up numbers like he did two years ago, so I took a chance. Wilson I got stuck with driving up the bid honestly. I'm a Giants fan and I don't like him fantasy-wise. But with Bradshaw gone, I see a potential Spiller-FredJackson situation and Wilson has the stuff to explode as shown by his special teams play. Yeah, Brown is a TD vulture but Brown also got knocked out last year. I like Dez. I think it's a make or break year for Dallas, all the players know it and they'll leave it all on the field. I'm of the opinion that there are 4 top tier WRs and Dez is one of them (Green, CJ, Marshall). I'm high on Bowe as stated (new situation in KC), and I got Shorts-Austin-Jennings for a total of 11 dollars. I live in JAX and Shorts managed to get to 1000 yards with an awful QB situation somehow so I respect his ability. Austin has RoY potential and Jennings is still Jennings even with Ponder throwing. The STL situation is ripe for the taking in the wake of SJax and I want to see someone step up and fill that void. I LOVE BRANDON TATE THIS YEAR. DRAFT HIM. Foster had 400+ touches last year? That's ridiculous, injury waiting to happen.

Team 4: Dalton was 1 dollar. And he's the most underrated backup ginger QB. TRich scares me because he is such a hardhitting guy, but he is the Browns offense and thus good for fantasy. I have never drafted a Shanahan RB because of his stigma since Denver (that's a lie, I'm lookin at you Roy Helu) but I'm on the Morris wagon, especially with the RG3 injury. If this is the best WR corp you've seen, I actually had VJax and Demariyus Thomas (and the rest of the depth) in this league, but a guy who drafted Aaron Rodgers bought Cam Newton too so we worked out where I got Roddy and Cam for Demariyus and Jermichael Finley (big winner for me!). Vjax honestly scares me a lot (TB passing game - yuck), but he worked last year with that huge FA contract. I like Roddy despite his inability to get in the end zone in the red zone. Cruz, SSmith, and Tavon is great depth. Rodgers is another good handcuff in my mind for when SJax the old man goes down (he's always had a little foot thing if I remember...turf toe?) because he is super talented if he gets the starter spot. Took a chance on Bell..I've never liked PIT running backs (as well as NO, GB, DEN, and Shanahan) but rookie talents break out and I needed RB depth. And honestly, PIT has a slim WR corp now without Wallace. Took Redman just in case though. Packers D is meh, but I had no money left. Cook has had steam blown up his ass his whole career and underproduced and they always talk him up, so we'll see this year. Bradford should use his TE slot much more than he has in the past because he needs that safety valve.
inforaGIANTdisaster
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby bradleyk » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:09 pm

I spent most of the morning writing a well thought out response to each team. It logged me out and it got deleted. Here's the more important parts, I guess.

1. Yep. The Harvin thing could be bad. It's hard to plan around that. But Cam in the 4th is still good value. I'd say don't worry too much about a backup with him since he's 60 pounds bigger than the other runners, but if you do, you probably want to buy one in the Dalton price range, not Romo. An RB might have added some depth.

2. MJD at that price is a steal. You're looking good for week 1. You can win the league if Harvin, MJD, and Murray put in 16 good games. Of course, that's sort of worrysome for me.

3. This is a team loaded with players I just feel uncomfortable about. Not sure if I dislike Kaepernick because I like the Rams, or because I think that defensive coordinators will figure out the read offense. We know that RG3 can be a pocket passer with a cannon arm, and Wilson will still be at Rothlesburg level if they take away his running. But I haven't seen Kaepernick really make monster plays with his arm, unless the defense was trying to stop him from running. We'll see, but of the 3 young read option QBs, he's the one I worry about the most.

4. Steven Jackson is too often listed as probably or questionable, but he's only missed 2 games in the last 4 years. Since he's on an east coast team, I figure it'll be all right. And I think last year might have been the only turf toe injury. Either way, I think Jackson is much less of a risk than you seem to think he is, you absolutely won that trade, and if any of your June teams win a championship, I think it's this one.
bradleyk
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 111)

Return to Roster Ratings