A deeper Veto question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

A deeper Veto question

Moderator: Football Moderators

A deeper Veto question

Postby hitnrun0264 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:05 pm

It is obvious to veto a trade when 2 owners are working with each other to stack a team and split the cash. Cheating is the obvious veto.

But we have stumbled into a problem the last few years in my keeper league. Last place teams dumping their whole team for 1 injured player.

Last year a team owner was 2-7 going into week 10 when he decided to dump his whole team to pick up an injured MJD. This really ticked people off because 1 team would get an easy win each week for the last 4 weeks of the season. It was basically a bye week for his last 4 opponents.

Should we move the trade deadline up to week 8 to try to avoid this from happening?

Should we start vetoing these kind of trades?

Should we just leave it alone and let it play out?
hitnrun0264
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: A deeper Veto question

Postby xclusive1987 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Personally, I'd veto the trade and have a talk with the owner. If he can't see how that would be unfair to other people in the league, I wouldn't want them in my league. The only time I'll veto a trade (which I haven't had to do yet) is if it fits into any of these categories:

- roster dumping
- collusion
- tanking
- cheating
xclusive1987
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 75)

Postby Hags888 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:13 am

xclusive1987 wrote:- roster dumping
- collusion
- tanking
- cheating

I would add "sabotage" to the list as well. If you're really worried about roster dumping, then yeah, moving the trade deadline up a bit should help combat that. Assuming you've got 14 weeks of regular season action, if you set it to Week 8, that should still give anyone with a losing record a shot at the playoffs with a trade. Once week 9 or 10 hits, any team that is abysmal (1 or 2 wins) really has no hope for the rest of the season, and they might be motivated to dump their team.

Generally speaking, I'm a big fan of letting most trades fly, unless one of the things above is involved. But this sounds like a clear case of roster dumping, which IMO should get a veto.
SKOL VIKINGS!
Hags888
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 4)

Postby LSUby50 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:27 pm

You cant allow teams to dump their whole team. Should be a requirement to try to field a competitive team. Ive heard of some people using a "for the good of the league clause" which would allow you to veto moves that ruin the league for everyone else. Like dumping good players, trying to trade your whole team for next year's draft picks, etc.
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 59)

Postby dream_017 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:19 am

LSUby50 wrote:You cant allow teams to dump their whole team. Should be a requirement to try to field a competitive team. Ive heard of some people using a "for the good of the league clause" which would allow you to veto moves that ruin the league for everyone else. Like dumping good players, trying to trade your whole team for next year's draft picks, etc.

This ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Return to Commissioner's Corner