Best Roster Size for 10 Team League - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Best Roster Size for 10 Team League

Moderator: Football Moderators

Best Roster Size for 10 Team League

Postby capecodhaddock » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:53 am

I'm joining a 10-team league that starts 2 QBs, 3 RBs, 4 WRs, 1 TE, K, Def and has 3 Bench. Do you think the starting lineup are too large and/or will the talent pool on the waiver wire be too thin during the season?
capecodhaddock
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Best Roster Size for 10 Team League

Postby dream_017 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:18 am

capecodhaddock wrote:I'm joining a 10-team league that starts 2 QBs, 3 RBs, 4 WRs, 1 TE, K, Def and has 3 Bench. Do you think the starting lineup are too large and/or will the talent pool on the waiver wire be too thin during the season?

Starting line-ups seem a little large to me. Requiring to start 3 RB and 4 WR is going to be tough during the middle of the season(bye weeks in full swing). You would be required to start 30 RBs for the week with only 26-28 teams playing.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 55)

Postby Hags888 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:26 am

dream_017 wrote:
capecodhaddock wrote:I'm joining a 10-team league that starts 2 QBs, 3 RBs, 4 WRs, 1 TE, K, Def and has 3 Bench. Do you think the starting lineup are too large and/or will the talent pool on the waiver wire be too thin during the season?

Starting line-ups seem a little large to me. Requiring to start 3 RB and 4 WR is going to be tough during the middle of the season(bye weeks in full swing). You would be required to start 30 RBs for the week with only 26-28 teams playing.

My thoughts exactly. And with only 3 bench spots that doesn't even give you the flexibility needed to grab RB in a time-share anyway. This is a very non-standard way to do it, and will make it frustrating for owners. That said, as long as you know this going in, your strategy to win the league should be pretty easy: draft RB and QB first. You'll win if you can get a quality starting RB in that 3rd spot, as well as an elite QB in the 2nd spot.

Typically a standard starting lineup is this:

1QB
2RB
2WR
1TE
1 FLEX (can be either RB/WR or RB/WR/TE)
1 D/ST
7 Bench

That gives you 16 total roster spots with 9 starters. Most of the major free leagues at ESPN, Yahoo, CBS, etc use this format for their standard free leagues, and it works pretty well and keeps things fair.
SKOL VIKINGS!
Hags888
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Danny T » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:26 pm

First thing I noticed was the lack of a bench for that as well. Would think it could be interesting strategy in that it would be tough to field a full roster every week during the bye weeks unless you were willing to drop/add just to have players and then you might end up paying for it later. The thing is that everyone would be playing under the same conditions and some would have a big advantage certain weeks, but it would be a good challenge over the haul of a season I guess.
Danny T
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Commissioner's Corner