Denver Starting RB? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Denver Starting RB?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Denver Starting RB?

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:47 pm

This is becoming an interesting battle.

1) Monte Ball - Beast in College, nose for the TD, great between tackles, great vision
2) Ronnie Hillman - better at cutting more elusive than ball
3) Knowshon Moreno - better at pass protection and not bad all around RB

I think Ball will end up starting and getting the most carries myself but its up for grabs. What are your thoughts?

According to the Denver Post, the Broncos' running back competition "appeared to remain open" during Monday's camp practice, as Ronnie Hillman, Montee Ball, and Knowshon Moreno all got first-team reps.
Ball reportedly had the biggest run of the morning's practice. We probably won't have a strong grasp on Denver's backfield pecking order until late in the preseason, depending on who starts the third exhibition game and how they perform. Ball is the Broncos' best inside runner. Hillman offers the best change-of-direction ability. Moreno is the most proven in pass protection.

After visiting Broncos camp, SI's Peter King reported Montee Ball "will be expected to carry a big part of the load" this year.
Perhaps even more interestingly, Ball told King he believes he's "most suited" to help Denver in the passing game, where he has soft hands but remains a work in progress as a pass protector. King noted the Broncos worked "a lot" with Ball on wheel and choice routes out of the backfield at minicamp. We don't expect Ball to be a true every-down back as a rookie, but he'll offer high-scoring upside as the heavy favorite for red-zone carries.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Re: Denver Starting RB?

Postby GameOver » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:44 am

From what I am hearing Ball is not catching on as quick as they hope, Hillman is not running up the middle so I can imagine him as a Reggie Bush type back. Now Moreno could and from what I'm hearing be the guy, he was great when McGahee went down. For right now I would stay clear of any RB in Denver!!
GameOver
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Azrael » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:05 am

John Fox has traditionally liked to have one guy carry the ball, except for DeAngelo and Stewart in 2009-10. He did it again the last 2 years. He rode McGahee until he got hurt, then turned to Moreno; though I don't think Moreno can take a beating for 16 games at 25 touches a clip. But usually Fox leans towards using his incumbent RB, even when he uses a high draft pick on a back. See DeAngelo/Foster. I would say Moreno has the inside track to start.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:49 pm

Clear as mud:

Broncos' Montee Ball gets first-team reps at tailback in practice
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/27/2013 12:01:00 AM MDT

There was a ball tucked inside Ronnie Hillman's arm while another Ball took his place with the first-string offense.

Hillman had held off Montee Ball as the Broncos' starting tailback through the organized team activities in May, the minicamp session in June, every day of training camp in July and August, and the first three games of the preseason. But on the first day Broncos starters essentially started preparing for the season opener Sept. 5 against Baltimore, Hillman gave way to the rookie Ball.

Naturally, Broncos coach John Fox told the media not to draw conclusions from the switch. It's only practice. No big whip.

Sorry, Coach, but across the football landscape, millions of people are holding their fantasy league draft this week at a watering hole near you. To them, Ball practicing with the first team is akin to a treasure hunter finding an X-marked map in an abandoned crawl space.

"Look, Ronnie Hillman is going to play a lot of football. You can put that in the bank," Fox said after practice Monday. "There's no formula where that's not going to happen."

Indeed, Ball, on his second rep as the Broncos' starting tailback Monday, whiffed on Shaun Phillips, who was rushing in from left end as Peyton Manning dropped back to pass. Lance Ball took the third rep as Montee Ball was called over to running backs coach Eric Studesville for a little chat.

con't...

more: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23 ... am-reps-at
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Warpigs » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:28 pm

Broncos OC Adam Gase said the team plans to use a committee at running back, and that they've "never shied away from that."
The Broncos have hinted at a committee all summer, it's just that now the chairman is in question. Ronnie Hillman was being groomed for the role before fumbling away his opportunity in the first three preseason games. Now Montee Ball is running with the first team, while Knowshon Moreno could be the primary third-down back. In terms of fantasy value, we'd put Hillman behind Moreno for the time being.

Per Rotoworld: http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7407/montee-ball
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:01 pm

Whoever protects Peyton will get the most reps and will get great looks to run into. Just have to pick the right RB and you could have a nice gem there.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 71)

Postby dn69141 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:58 am

Bronco fan here!

It will be Monte Ball though I do like Hillman better. Here is what I believe... If Hillman could have kept the ball in his hands this preseason he would have nailed the coffin shut for the majority of the carries, now he is in the doghouse again, and will be RB#2 at Denver.

Monte Ball having the "starting" position doesn't make him elite though by any means, even though Hillman is in the doghouse, I think Denver still likes him better (I do too if he would STOP FUMBLING THE STUPID BALL!!!! ARGGHHHHH) and that means they will still give him chances to run. Monte Ball will not get the reps to make him great, and if Hillman decides in the first few games to keep ahold of the ball, Monte ball will see only 50% of the carries the rest of the season, Hillman controls his own destiny and Ball's.

Just my .02
dn69141
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby dn69141 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:26 am

Well HILLMAN secured the job for starter! I like him better, hopefully they just put some glue on him.

Anyways I guess that means for anyone who has him as a fantasy and picked Ball high in the draft better start to worry, because I bet it's more of a 50,50 now.. and that could be bad bad bad for some owners.
dn69141
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby daullaz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:01 am

dn69141 wrote:Well HILLMAN secured the job for starter! I like him better, hopefully they just put some glue on him.

Anyways I guess that means for anyone who has him as a fantasy and picked Ball high in the draft better start to worry, because I bet it's more of a 50,50 now.. and that could be bad bad bad for some owners.

Don't know where you're getting that. In fact, Hillman looks more likely to be the No. 3 back when the season opens than No. 1 at this point.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dn69141 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:45 am

I'm sorry and forget that sarcasm can be hard to see on the forums.

I said that because Hillman started the final preseason game for Denver.. I thought it was funny, I'm a Bronco fan, so I know people selecting Bronco RB's might be a little worried etc.

Merely just making conversation :-o
dn69141
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Next

Return to Football Talk