Denver Starting RB? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Denver Starting RB?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Denver Starting RB?

Postby ScottyWaz9 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:12 am

I saw a Peyton Manning quote (can't remember where) the other day where he mentioned how much he liked the way Montee Ball was playing and he didn't mention any other RB. I still think there will be a lot of sharing of the ball, but he may have won the starting job.
ScottyWaz9
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dn69141 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:42 pm

I would be surprised if Ball doesn't get the starting position.
dn69141
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:57 pm

So where do you guys see Moreno fitting in? I have read everything from he'll be the starter to he'll be the third man, odd man out.
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 415)

Postby Metropolitans » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:05 pm

I have a gut feeling Moreno may not "start" Week 1 but he'll emerge as the primary RB... Peyton needs Pass-Protection and that's where Ball worries me, I watched David Wilson rot on the Giants bench lastyr with similar 'upside' to Montee Ball bc he couldn't pass protect. Not to mention Moreno looked great down the stretch... For me, he's def the "least sexy" of the 3 but he can do everything 'good' but nothing 'great'... if im Peyton, I go with the experienced RB to protect me. Manning is one blown assignment from a career ending hit, Denver wont allow their starting RB to be a bad pass-blocker.... i just don't know if i trust Hillman or Ball yet, despite their "upside" - this team is Peyton Mannings, NOT "Ball-Hillman-Moreno's" ...
10Team H2H
(8-1 Record)
QB- Stafford
WR- VJax
WR- Marshall
WR/RB-JNelson
RB- RRice
RB- DMC
TE- Gronkowski
K- Akers
DEF- WW Matchups
Bench- Bradford, Morris, Meachem, JBest, JBaldwin, Ridley
Metropolitans
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:30 pm

I think this is now a situation now where you almost need all 3 to be safe. The Deadskins were like this last year and Morris ended up being a gem. Ball should start with Hillman spelling and Moreno in the mix to. Its kind of a mess. I think Ball has the best chance to get the most carries here. My hopes were higher when starting the thread though.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Metropolitans » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:02 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:I think this is now a situation now where you almost need all 3 to be safe. The Deadskins were like this last year and Morris ended up being a gem. Ball should start with Hillman spelling and Moreno in the mix to. Its kind of a mess. I think Ball has the best chance to get the most carries here. My hopes were higher when starting the thread though.

i agree that its too murky, like a 33% chance for each..... so with that said, IF you get lucky and land the winner, u hit fantasy Gold so my strategy is to avoid any serious investment by taking the lowest ranked of the 3 and just hoping.... worst case, hes dropped
10Team H2H
(8-1 Record)
QB- Stafford
WR- VJax
WR- Marshall
WR/RB-JNelson
RB- RRice
RB- DMC
TE- Gronkowski
K- Akers
DEF- WW Matchups
Bench- Bradford, Morris, Meachem, JBest, JBaldwin, Ridley
Metropolitans
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 2ksports » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:18 am

Hillman was just named starter earlier today.

Prob RBBC between the 3, unless Hillman explodes and scores long TDs.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby tclangham » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:18 am

While the rest of the NFL announced roster cuts Saturday, the Denver Broncos gave us some tasty depth chart news.

The team's official website announced that Julius Thomas was named the Broncos' official starting tight end and Ronnie Hillman remains first in line at running back.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... or-broncos
10 Team $ Keeper League - Jockey Full of Tim Tebow - (5-4)
QB - 2RB - 1Flex - 2WR - TE - D/ST - K

QB- Luck
RB - Alf, L. Bell, Jackson
WR - Marshall, Allen
TE - Gates
D/ST - Dolphins
K - Vinatieri

Fantasy Football Cafe - Survivalist League - tclangham
tclangham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 29)

Postby FireGoodell » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:42 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:This is becoming an interesting battle.

1) Monte Ball - Beast in College, nose for the TD, great between tackles, great vision
2) Ronnie Hillman - better at cutting more elusive than ball
3) Knowshon Moreno - better at pass protection and not bad all around RB

I think Ball will end up starting and getting the most carries myself but its up for grabs. What are your thoughts?

According to the Denver Post, the Broncos' running back competition "appeared to remain open" during Monday's camp practice, as Ronnie Hillman, Montee Ball, and Knowshon Moreno all got first-team reps.
Ball reportedly had the biggest run of the morning's practice. We probably won't have a strong grasp on Denver's backfield pecking order until late in the preseason, depending on who starts the third exhibition game and how they perform. Ball is the Broncos' best inside runner. Hillman offers the best change-of-direction ability. Moreno is the most proven in pass protection.

After visiting Broncos camp, SI's Peter King reported Montee Ball "will be expected to carry a big part of the load" this year.
Perhaps even more interestingly, Ball told King he believes he's "most suited" to help Denver in the passing game, where he has soft hands but remains a work in progress as a pass protector. King noted the Broncos worked "a lot" with Ball on wheel and choice routes out of the backfield at minicamp. We don't expect Ball to be a true every-down back as a rookie, but he'll offer high-scoring upside as the heavy favorite for red-zone carries.

I would draft them in this order. Ball, Moreno, Hillman. I don't care what the depth chart says, a lot of depth chart moves, especially at this time of the year, are only made to motivate players under the guy named the starter, it's a well known tactic coaches pull in the NFL. Hillman #1 can't hold onto the ball, and that won't fly in a John Fox offense and #2 Moreno is simply more talented and better suited for this offense. Ball is probably has the best combination of talent and fit for this offense and they drafted him with the clear intention of starting him, so in the end I think he ends up carrying the workload, BUT, I do think Moreno has an outside shot to be the guy, let's not forget Moreno was a first round pick for a reason and performed well last year when he got the carries, the guy is talented. I took Ball in several drafts and because of the uncertainty at the position I took Moreno also in those drafts because I feel like when the dust settles one of the two will end up being the stater, not Hillman.
FireGoodell
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby stomperrob » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:52 pm

only made to motivate players under the guy named the starter, it's a well known tactic coaches pull in the NFL

If it's that well known then it wouldn't be effectual - I agree with Bill Parcells, if you need to be motivated to play at this level then you probably don't belong at this level.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk