Quarterback by Waiver Wire - John Paulsen / 4for4 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Quarterback by Waiver Wire - John Paulsen / 4for4

Moderator: Football Moderators

Quarterback by Waiver Wire - John Paulsen / 4for4

Postby oden » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:48 pm

John Paulsen and the 4for4 crew are preaching about this new QB by Waiver Wire strategy. I like the idea of using my top 6 or 7 picks on RB/WRs... but I just am not quite sold on their QB matrix combinations. I am wondering if anyone has done this before.

Has anyone here done QBBWW, either using 4for4's QB matrix or otherwise, and if so, how did it work out?
oden
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Quarterback by Waiver Wire - John Paulsen / 4for4

Postby mycuccismells » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:40 am

Do they have results from the past few years where they show their recommendations (before the results) and how they turned out?? Its easy to look back and find all of the undrafted QBs that did well each week and say if you would have used them each week that you would have great production, but i would like to see how their theory works out over the years without the results in hand.

If someone either really knows their stuff or gets extremely lucky I would say its definitely possible to take this approach, but its not for me. Personally i would rather get Romo in the 9th or 10th round and just ride him the whole year, maybe stream a QB for a week here or there in bad matchups, and not have to worry about analyzing every QB matchup every week. At that point you are likely drafting your RB or WR 4-5 so its not like you are giving up a valuable draft pick to obtain that stability at the position.

I guess i just dont necessarily think the risk provides enough reward to make it worth it. You will be relying on these sub par QBs every single week and you will just never feel completely comfortable with your team (or at least i wouldnt). I would much rather have that top 10 guy and have QB be the position i just set in week 1 and forget about it for the majority of the season and just ride the waves. Same reason i would rather have that #1 guy at ANY position rather than streamlining matchups every single week
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 358)

Postby Mr.Joshua » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:12 pm

It's just not needed this year due to the depth at the qb position now. Why give yourself the headache each week when you can just take the 12th ranked qb in the 8-9th round and ride him. Think Romo, Luck, Wilson.... ;-D
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 210)

Postby mycuccismells » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:41 pm

Mr.Joshua wrote:It's just not needed this year due to the depth at the qb position now. Why give yourself the headache each week when you can just take the 12th ranked qb in the 8-9th round and ride him. Think Romo, Luck, Wilson.... ;-D

That works as long as someone doesnt snatch a backup before you. There are around 11-13 guys that are viable starters depending on your preferences; so if backups get taken or you dont like the last guy in that tier or 12 you could be out of luck. Also i think part of the theory is that you can get better production out of a handful of backups than you would out of the 10-12 guy
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby Mr.Joshua » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:44 pm

I guess there's a chance someone could go back up qb in the 8-9th round, just unlikely.
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 210)

Postby mycuccismells » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:13 am

Mr.Joshua wrote:I guess there's a chance someone could go back up qb in the 8-9th round, just unlikely.

For the most part that is true, but I have been in some mocks where funny things happen. Especially people that grab guys like RG3 or Kaepernick that they arent quite sure about they will try and grab a solid backup a little earlier than you would expect.
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby JerseyBearsGuy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:35 pm

I also agree with holding off on your QB, stock up on your RB/WR's and then spend one pick in the first ten rounds for a QB. You will be much happier with your picks early and throw in a QB that should be a top 10 guy, like Romo as stated before. (Remember, he is throwing to DEZ!!!) ;-D
A. Luck, M. Vick
A. Morris, S. Ridley, D. Williams, L. Miller, W. Mcgahee
B. Marshall, Julio Jones, S. Smith, S. Johnson, E. Royal, M. Brown
J. Thomas, G. Olsen
D. Bailey
Minnesota
JerseyBearsGuy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Response Team
(Past Year: 173)