What to do about Percy Harvin? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

What to do about Percy Harvin?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What to do about Percy Harvin?

Postby Jason497 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:20 pm

20 team, 4 keeper league, 0.5 PPR league, 1/10 and 1/15 return yards. In this scoring system Percy Harvin has been a top 5 WR the past 3 years.

Now that he's out for the entire fantasy regular season, I've gotta figure out what to do with him. My other keepers are QB Colin Kaepernick, RB Lesean Mccoy, TE Rob Gronkowski.

The uncertainty involving Gronk also makes the Harvin situation worse to me. I'd like to hold on to him for the future because he's been so elite for me, but I don't wanna go the season with a huge hole in my lineup either. I'm not sure I'd be able to get anything for him in a trade, I haven't tried though.

I have another owner mulling over a trade offer of my 3rd rounder for Gore, idk if that will go down though.

Would you just hold on to Harvin and throw in the towel in 2013, knowing that he'll be a valuable keeper next year, or move on and trade for another keeper? Gore would be nice too because I'd have a great 1-2 punch at RB in a 20 teamer, atleast for a year, and we start 1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 FLEX, 1 TE, so having the option to start 3 RBs makes RBs gold.

Someone's also shopping Roddy White, but I'd likely have to give up my 1st rounder to get that done and I don't really wanna do that if I don't have to.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: What to do about Percy Harvin?

Postby 11stever11 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:27 pm

In a 20 team league, I would keep Harvin. I still see him as a top 10 WR in the future with upside especially with points for return yards. There is also a possibility that he will return by week 13, so he could be there for the playoffs this season. I would stay put with the trades.
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 46)

Postby LSUby50 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:01 am

I'd shop around for another keeper that you can use this year. Maybe a team has 5 good ones and will let one go cheap. If you cant find a pretty good deal i'd keep him, but only because its a big league.
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 59)

Postby bradleyk » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:15 pm

LSU might be on to something, but I'm going to bank against that in a 20 team keeper league. Assuming statistics hold, then I think 11Stever11 has the right idea. In a 20 team league where people are keeping the Mannings and Breeses, I think you need Harvin. He's too valuable int he future. I think I'd keep Shady and Harvin.
bradleyk
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 111)

Postby Jason497 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:54 pm

Trade market consists of: Roddy White, Frank Gore, Reggie Wayne, Mike Wallace, Wes Welker, James Jones, Desean Jackson, Greg Jennings, Josh Gordon, a bunch of mid tier non-starting RBs, Lawfirm and the STL Rams RBs are the only "starters".

I think on that list, the only guys I would consider giving up on Harvin for is Roddy White and Frank Gore, and White would be too expensive unless I could talk him down and Gore is a beast but age is the major concern there, I'd be selling out my future for the present.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby LSUby50 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:55 pm

I'd make some offers for welker. He's gotta be pretty solid in a .5 ppr league. You never know, in these leagues you can get good deals for keepers because the owners are just throwing them back if they aren't kept. Something is better than nothing.
Also you have to keep in mind that Percy is never healthy. Next year might be more of the same with him so I'd try not to waste a whole year trying to hang onto a guy that fragile.
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 59)

Postby mycuccismells » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:47 pm

You have to keep Harvin unless you can get something really good back for him, which i highly doubt you will. In a 20 team league though i dont think you can necessarily say you are throwing in the towel on the season, especially if Gronk can play through the season. Your core of McCoy/Kaep/Gronk is pretty solid for a 20 team league; so although the loss of Harvin hurts its not something that is completely insurmountable. Load up on some of those mid tier WRs and hope that one or two of them hit and you just might be able to keep Harvin AND compete this year.

Harvin is too valuable in a league like this to throw away just to give yourself a better chance for one year. A league that deep means that having a top 5-8 player at 4 positions is a pretty rare thing, and its something that you will have for at least a few more years. It will reduce your chances of winning this year but keeping him greatly increases your chances of having a powerhouse of a team 2 years from now.
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 358)

Postby Jason497 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:01 am

Yeah I'm starting to lean towards keeping him, but another strategy that I had in mind is if I could trade my 3rd for Gore and then try to get Percy back at #9 overall in the draft. Gore would be a huge upgrade on what I'd get at 9, and 3rd rounders in this league are very hit or miss, that's 120-140 overall area with 4 keepers.

That's gambling that someone wouldn't use a top 8 pick on a guy who is out for the entire fantasy regular season...might not be worth the risk there.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Jason497 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:36 am

Well just an update here, I traded Kyle Rudolph and my 8th rounder for a 3rd round pick tonight, so if I do hold on to Percy Harvin atleast I have another 3rd rounder to target a WR...and if the Gore deal gets done I'll still have my 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, his 7th maybe?, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, another 14th, 15, 16, 17

EDIT 10am: Nevermind on Gore, the guy got greedy and is now talking about getting a 1st back, not going to happen for a 1-2 year rental back. I suppose I could still offer a 2nd for Roddy White and try to get a RB2 in the 1st round now. My options are shrinking at this point. Probably just ride it out with Harvin now.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Jason497 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:56 pm

LSUby50 wrote:I'd make some offers for welker. He's gotta be pretty solid in a .5 ppr league. You never know, in these leagues you can get good deals for keepers because the owners are just throwing them back if they aren't kept. Something is better than nothing.
Also you have to keep in mind that Percy is never healthy. Next year might be more of the same with him so I'd try not to waste a whole year trying to hang onto a guy that fragile.

Interestingly enough, the guy with Welker just put Demaryius Thomas on the trade block. I guess he wasn't getting anyone to bite on Wes or Antonio Brown so he's gonna see what he can get for Thomas and keep Wes.

A top 10 WR like Demaryius is probably worth pitching him an offer for, if I'm going to replace Harvin as a keeper it should be a young stud like him. Roddy White ended up going to someone else for a 2nd rounder, I was still on the fence about making an offer and there he went.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions