Yahoo pre-draft rankings... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Yahoo pre-draft rankings...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Yahoo pre-draft rankings...

Postby BeanTown » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:59 pm

Does anyone know how the yahoo default pre draft rankings are derived? Are they composite ranks from Yahoo or just one persons projections? Are they somehow customized to my leagues scoring system? I tried to figure it out but couldn't match it to anything.

Thanks
BeanTown
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo pre-draft rankings...

Postby bradleyk » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:59 am

As I understand it (and I've never done a Yahoo league) they average together 5 experts rankings (Funston, Behrans, Evans, Pianowski, and Del Don). So if 3 of them have AP consensus first over all, and 2 in second, but 2 have Foster first and 3 in second, they'll put AP over foster because 1+2+1+2+1=7 7/5=1.4 average, which is lower than Foster's 1.6 average. Does this make sense?
bradleyk
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 122)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BeanTown » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:48 am

Thanks and that makes sense but there must be another component. The average staff rank you're referring to is available to view independently online but if I try to compare it to my default pre-draft rankings they all seem to be just slightly off (at least in the top 25). I'll admit the results are close but not identical. So if the baseline to the rankings is the yahoo staff composite what additionally is there that make the pre-draft ranks differ slightly?
BeanTown
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby daullaz » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:44 am

From Fantasy Sports Genie a few years back, who is an active member on the baseball side who works directly on the Yahoo! Fantasy Sports sites and takes suggestions for improvements from our community:

If you're looking at O-Rank, those are *not* statistically calculated. There is a statistical basis underneath it, but then purely subjective rankings are applied. If you value the opinions of our experts, feel free to use them. If you do not value our experts, then don't. That's all that is.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)

Postby BeanTown » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:54 am

Thanks Daullaz, I think I actually remember reading that a while back but my main question relates to the pre-draft rankings that you see in the draft room and that can be edited beforehand. I assumed that those pre-draft rankings would be the same as the O-rank on your league site but they do not match up. Therefore wondering what the difference is in ranking methodology.
BeanTown
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby daullaz » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:02 pm

BeanTown wrote:Thanks Daullaz, I think I actually remember reading that a while back but my main question relates to the pre-draft rankings that you see in the draft room and that can be edited beforehand. I assumed that those pre-draft rankings would be the same as the O-rank on your league site but they do not match up. Therefore wondering what the difference is in ranking methodology.

Oh, if I had to guess, the Pre-Draft rankings aren't updated as frequently as the O-Ranks.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:10 pm

So in football the O-Rank isn't typically called the O-Rank, but it is basically the same thing. If you are referring to the column in the draft client that is called Y! Rank, that is basically the O-Rank, and is also what is called the Projected Ranking on the Players page. I know. More confusing than it should be.

So what is the Projected Rank/Y! Rank/O-Rank for football, which I think is your real question. It starts with a statistical ranking. This is based on public league settings, and does not reflect any league specific settings/changes for your league. The football statistical ranks are a little bit weird. They are largely governed by points, with some modification to try to account for positional scarcity. On top of those statistics rankings are subjective modifications made by our fantasy experts. As you can imagine, these surely don't take into account any league specific settings. Hope that helps...
Fantasy Sports Genie
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby BeanTown » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Thank you all. This was very helpful
BeanTown
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff