Keeper out for the year before the draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Keeper out for the year before the draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper out for the year before the draft

Postby Shaffe » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:47 am

I'm in a keep 5 league and our keepers were due back in mid-July. Our draft is in 10 days. One of my 5 keepers was Maclin, who as everybody knows is out for the year with his ACL injury. A few days ago somebody in my league posted on the message board that I should be allowed to pick a replacement player from my old team. This was totally unprovoked by me FWIW, but the thought did privately cross my mind as soon as I heard the news. I got an email from the commish yesterday saying that he heard from too many other managers and it was a no-go.

I don't have much of a beef as I understand the reasoning. Injuries happen all the time and sometimes you get screwed and sometimes you don't. But it does suck that a guy who gets hurt the first day of training camp will put me essentially with 4 keepers before the draft even happens. Do you think there should be a window where a guy can be replaced on a keeper list if the draft hasn't been conducted yet? Would it matter if it was a money or highly competitive league? It's easy for me to say yes since I fell the victim, but being honest with myself I do think there's some things my league can do moving forward that may mitigate this from happening (later draft and keeper deadline for starters).
Shaffe
Shaffe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper out for the year before the draft

Postby daullaz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:35 am

I think it might be nice to have a "Supplemental Round" in the middle of the draft to accommodate those people who lost keepers to injury after the keepers were declared and want to throw them out. This wouldn't be too high to create a competitive advantage, but not too low either. If you keep five, maybe making it between the fourth and fifth rounds makes sense, or between the fifth and sixth rounds.

The issue may come up as to who would be eligible to be thrown back, though -- do you allow the Harvin and Crabtree owners to do so when they'll miss most of the year, but not all of the year? Or do you restrict it to players that get placed on Injured Reserve, as Maclin has been? Just something to keep in mind as you consider this idea for your league moving forward.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper out for the year before the draft

Postby danopkt » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:39 pm

I'd really love to agree with you because it does seem unfair at first glance, but I think it does open a bit of a Pandora's Box for who's "hurt enough" to warrant it. Unless there's a rule for your league that spells out that situation explicitly, the only fair way to handle it would be to only allow the swap if all league owner's were in agreement on it. Obviously, you could also try to get the date for finalizing keepers moved closer to the draft date in the future, as that reduces the chances of this happening.
danopkt
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk