Need advice - two major league changes - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need advice - two major league changes

Moderator: Football Moderators

Need advice - two major league changes

Postby brianw8755 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:36 am

Hey, I need some advice. We have a 12 team league on its third year. We had discussed converting to a keeper league this year. We also just now decided to reign in the league to just co-workers. Previously we had some less than optimum players who no one knew as they were fillers the previous commissioner got when we were short handed (they weren't active, etc.). So here is my question: we are bringing in 6 new owners along with 6 returning. Any issues with converting to keeper this year allowing keepers from last year?

I think I've got it pretty fair. I feel the returning owners should continue going forward since they have returned and the new owners will have draft picks in-lieu of keepers. My thoughts are outlined below in the rules I've come up with so far. I'm gearing this hopefully to encourage value from deeper picks rather than just keeping AP or Megatron.

Suggested rules: 1 or 2 keepers
Keeper picks are done in the round(s) that player was drafted previous year. Allow returning teams to pick keepers (or draft pick). New team owners receive draft pick for keeper rounds.

Only 1 player may be kept that was originally drafted in rounds 1-3.

Players can be kept only twice {original draft year, second year, third year}.

· Draft position advances +2 rounds from original draft round in third year.

o Example - Randall Cobb drafted in 2012 in the 10th. Kept for 2013 in the 10th. Kept for 2014 in the 8th.

o Example - Cam Newton drafted in 2012 in the 3rd. Kept in 2013 in the 3rd. Kept in 2014 in the 1st.

o Only one keeper kept per round - Example - if team had at end of season two 2nd round picks, owner can only keep one.

This format encourages & rewards owners for taking gambles on unproven talent and player research. Value is key.

· By keeping a rookie who breaks out that was drafted late, owner is rewarded by not giving up 1st/2nd round picks

· Owners that choose to keep a 1st round player will be net zero, but obviously have their choice guaranteed by keeping.

o In above examples, Cobb has great value going forward whereas Newton loses value as his draft round cost goes up.

Undrafted players/free agents draft in the 9th round (chose 9th due to we have 10 Offensive roster spots, so 1 ahead of the Kicker)

· Tom Brady rule - If player is drafted & dropped due to injury & subsequently picked up, he will cost the earlier of the 9th round or his draft position from previous year.

· Player’s keeper status stays with them if they are traded, but not if they are dropped and picked up by another owner thru waivers*.

o *If owner drops player & he clears waivers and is then picked back up by same owner, his keeper status remains the same.
brianw8755
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Need advice - two major league changes

Postby murphysxm » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:25 am

I think you will be hard pressed to level the playing field with 6 teams getting a substantial advantage. If you want to go keeper and feel like you have a solid 12, start next year so all 12 teams have the same ability to plan and draft accordingly. Getting the extra draft picks isn't enough when the guy next to you is keeping ALF in the last round......
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby brianw8755 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback. We're not sure at this point if any/all six new owners will return next year, so I'm still somewhat concerned that we could be in the same boat next year if we are switching to a keeper league and bringing in any new people. Really won't know until next year. I'm sure we should be able to keep at least a couple, but at least one has never done FF before... Also note that this is a free league.

I do kind of feel that for balance, the new owners (or anyone not keeping a player) should have the earlier draft positions. Assuming all returning owners take a keeper, the new owners would have picks 1-6. If so, then 7-12 would be returning owners. Snake from there.

Also, just by looking at the rosters of the old owners, at least 3-4 of the top 8 running backs will be draftable (Lynch, RIce, Foster, Martin, plus Forte, C Johnson, Bush). Maybe more depending on keeper picks. For WR's, If Megatron is kept, Marshall is free. So is Bryant, Cobb, Cruz, White. Graham or Gronk, Brady, P Manning,

With this info, do you still think it'd be too unbalanced? I do understand someone else will keep AP in the 4th since he went late last year. Same with Charles. But with the draft order, they would most likely end up with a good RB2. There's no way they could keep AP and still get Foster, even tho Foster is free.

Thanks again!
brianw8755

Postby ImmeJor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:49 pm

We switched to a keeper league last year. The only way to do it fairly is have next year be your first year for keepers. That way everyone can draft and pick up free agents accordingly for the following year. Wouldnt be fair based on rosters to start it using last years rosters.

We also switched to an auction format because its easier to run keepers that way. There was resistance ahead of time from some people, but after we did the draft and following the year, there was 100% positive feedback that that was the way to do it.
ImmeJor

Postby Johnny Blood » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:26 pm

Your idea about keepers is not fair at all. Half the teams get to continue profiting from value picks, and half don't. Half the league gets the benefit of hindsight, half doesn't.

The absolute bare minimum you have to do is let the new players take over existing teams and choose keepers from those rosters.

If you actually care about being fair you should start the rule the following year. On top of fairness, draft strategy should be influenced by keeper rules. The rules should not change midstream, you should have a year's notice.
Johnny Blood
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

(Past Year: 2)

Postby brianw8755 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:07 pm

OK, I think you guys are right. The transition to keepers will have to go out another year. Part of the problem was the old commissioner/new commissioner transition caused some confusion during the invites of new team owners which caused the old teams to get deleted. I can see the history so I know what they are and could manually show them the teams. Hard part tho is two of the six teams were in real bad shape and not worthy of passing on (which was in part why we dropped them and brought in new owners).

Assuming we do keepers next year with everyone, how do the rest of the rules sound?

THanks guys
brianw8755

Return to Commissioner's Corner