16 Team Draft Strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

16 Team Draft Strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

16 Team Draft Strategy

Postby GBJ » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:12 am

Hi all,
Does anyone have some advice for drafting in a 16 team league?
There's a ton of draft strategy advice out there but it all seems to be aimed at 8 - 12 team leagues. I'm new to a 16 team league (standard roster and scoring) and struggling to find some good advice. Just how different it is to, say, a 10 team league? Should I be reaching for certain positions sooner, or maybe getting backups where I wouldn't normally bother in smaller leagues (QB for instance)?
Any help would be really appreciated.
GBJ
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 16 Team Draft Strategy

Postby Mr.Joshua » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:03 am

Let me start this off with that I have zero exp. with 16 team leagues. I would think that the shallowest position should have the highest priority, say your picking towards the back end, I would think that if you can grab 2 very solid rb's, I would. If not, grab that 1st rb and see if a great wr or even Jimmy Graham falls to you. If you dont land Graham, then I would go late on te b/c after the 1st 5 or so, they are all the same. I would also go late on qb as there wont be a huge diff. between the top 12 guys this year, just dont wait too long. Again this is just me reasoning it out since i have never played with 16....good luck ;-D
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 210)

Postby mycuccismells » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:02 pm

Another one with very little experience in a 16 team league, but I have a little knowledge through reading stuff and listening to podcasts about them. What i have gathered is that going RB early is extremely important, as well as reaching a little bit for your QB. Ill sort of break down my thoughts position by position

RB- You need to get one with your first pick, and ideally with your first 2 picks. 16 teams each starting 2 RBs means that there will be 32 RBs absolutely necessary each week; not accounting for bye weeks and injuries. If you just look at ADP the 32nd running back is Rashard Mendenhall followed by guys like Andre Brown, BJGE, Ingram, etc. You need to ask yourself if you would feel comfortable starting one of these guys every single week; and if not then you need to reach for RBs a little early and stay ahead of the curve because once everyone grabs 2 those are the guys you are left with. Not only that but if those guys are your second RB and your #1 RB gets an injury then you are left starting 2 guys of that caliber or worse. Feel out your draft but i would definitely be trying to go RB/RB; and if the value isnt there then at least getting 2 out of my first 3 rounds.

WR- Completely different than RB, again there are 32 that NEED to be started at a minimum given 16 teams and 2 starting WR every week. 32nd WR in terms of ADP is Greg Jennings; followed by guys like Miles Austin, Mike Williams, Stevie Johnson, Kenny Britt, etc. These are all guys that I would feel fairly comfortable starting each week, and if my #1 WR went down and I had to start 2 of these guys i wouldnt feel so bad about it. In WR you see a lot of guys that are injury risks that fall down the rankings but have the ability to be #2 guys if healthy, so if you grab 3-4 of them in the later rounds you can handle a few injuries at the top and not be in trouble. Even looking down in the 50s in terms of ADP you see guys like Blackmon and Denarius Moore and Sanu who are all MUCH better options than the #50 RBs

QB - I would reach a little higher than i normally would at this position, just because of how many points they score. Normally I wait on QB because there are values at the back of the 10-12 tier but when you get to the 15-18 range it gets a little dicey. You start getting into Vick, Dalton, Ben, Cutler, Palmer, etc and these are all guys that will be decent in terms of final stats but will be a roller coaster from week to week. Most of these guys are also injury risks and in a 16 team league the ability to replace a QB is not quite there. If you dont find value at RB in the second round I wouldnt be against reaching for an elite QB and knowing that I'm set at a very critical position. Either way i definitely want a top 12 QB (wherever the value is highest but dont be afraid to reach a bit) and if i have one of the young/running QBs that are injury risks i definitely want to grab one of the better backups. Ideally i would be targeting a duo or Romo/Bradford or something like that to get the best value in each tier

TE - Personally i wouldnt reach here, as much as i like Graham i think you will have to use a first round pick on him and then will be playing catch up at every other position. If you can go RB/RB and then snag Gronk in the 3rd I would love that strategy, but if not i would wait on TE. Grab someone like Bennett or if you want grab 2 of the young upside guys like Eiffert and Cameron and hope one of them breaks out.
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 358)

Postby GBJ » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:42 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. Really useful, much appreciated.
GBJ
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby Eric21ND » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:33 pm

I think the ideal number of teams for fantasy football is 20.
Eric21ND
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 16)

Postby Venom » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:37 pm

Eric21ND wrote:I think the ideal number of teams for fantasy football is 20.

If by "ideal" you mean having to start a QB who doesn't even see the field on a regular basis because your QB1 is on a bye and 40 QBs were drafted, then yes, by all means go for it. I cant imagine having more than 16 teams being anything more than a headache.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby Eric21ND » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:10 pm

Venom wrote:
Eric21ND wrote:I think the ideal number of teams for fantasy football is 20.

If by "ideal" you mean having to start a QB who doesn't even see the field on a regular basis because your QB1 is on a bye and 40 QBs were drafted, then yes, by all means go for it. I cant imagine having more than 16 teams being anything more than a headache.

It's just more strategic and challenging. Separates the men from the boys imo.
Eric21ND
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 16)

Return to Beginner's Forum