OK, really, who to draft at #3? aug 5, 2013 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

OK, really, who to draft at #3? aug 5, 2013

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby ike301 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:59 pm

Rushing Yards 20 yards per point; 1 points at 100 yards; 2 points at 150 yards; 3 points at 200 yards
Rushing Touchdowns 6
Receptions .5
Reception Yards 20 yards per point; 1 points at 100 yards; 2 points at 150 yards; 3 points at 200 yards
Post your link, I will answer yours to the best of my knowledge.
ike301
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: OK, really, who to draft at #3? aug 5, 2013

Postby taw856 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:20 pm

The consensus is going to be best RB available, the bulk of the disagreement is going to be about who that is.

I'd have the top three RBs in a redraft as Peterson, then Foster, then Martin. You'll get a few people slotting Foster below Martin and potentially C.J. Spiller and/or Jamal Charles based on workload concerns.

But I'll take Calvin Johnson at #3, assuming Foster isn't available. (Which is why I'm glad I didn't draw #3 in any drafts this year, as I can get Calvin later, generally speaking.) But just because Megatron is going later on average, doesn't mean the gap between him and subsequent receivers isn't just as chunky as top RBs and later counterparts, and within the top running backs you very quickly hit a tier that's a lot more interchangeable, at least IMHO (See: LeSean McCoy going late first/early third because his 2012 was weak but having demonstrated, if unlikely, 20 TD potential, versus a WR group that drops off to a solid but not elite tier after Julio Jones/Demaryius Thomas).

Anyhow, figured I'd get the contrarian voice outfront. ;-D

Now on to the Spiller/Martin supporters! :-)

Mine: viewtopic.php?t=534918
BOLD PICKS FOR 2013
A. Rodgers outscores D. Brees in ESPN standard scoring by 40+.
D. McFadden plays 16 games (but ineffectively for someone whose only problem we always assumed was health).
M. Lynch=not a Top 10 RB.
V. Cruz=Top 7 WR.
G. Tate=Top 36 WR.
taw856
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 183)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Devil Doc » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:08 pm

I think in a PPR league, the top 5 RBs change. Regardless of format, AP and Martin should be the first two off the board. After that, PPR I think Rice and McCoy would go before Foster. I like Rice even more in a PPR format considering the Ravens only real receiving threat is Torrey Smith...after that...Rice. And I wouldn't be surprised if they focus MORE on Rice with the loss of Pitta.

I'd rank them like this...

AP
Martin
Rice
McCoy
Foster
Spiller
Thanks to Franchise Fan for this kick ass sig!

Devil Doc
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 92)

Postby ike301 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:26 pm

Wow. Rice. That might a game changer. Though I'm a niner fan....
ike301
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby duffoholic » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:18 pm

I don't think McCoy deserves to be that high. I'd go...

AP
Martin
Foster
Charles
Rice
with McCoy coming in at 6/7 in a tie with Spiller.

But I'm drinking the Jamaal juice so take it for what it is...
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)

Postby LSUby50 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:59 pm

I think I'd take Jamal Charles ahead of Martin. Reid will make him a fantasy stud like Brian Westbrook was. Also I don't like how martin scored 1/3 of his points in 2 games last year.
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 59)

Postby NCHS_1 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:31 am

I think I would take Jamaal Charles there. Andy Reid is a ppr monster.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=534997
NCHS_1
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby ike301 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:06 am

Charles over rice tho? Rice is a stud at 3, I expect....
ike301
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby duffoholic » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:37 am

Last year Rice was only ahead of Charles because of TD's. I think that evens out this year with the KC offence being less benign under Reid and with a new boost at QB. Rice was almost 400 yards behind in rushing and only 250 ahead in Rec and I expect that gap to shrink under Reid too. PLUS, Rice stands to be losing some carries to Pierce where Charles is the only game in town... I don't think your league is PPR (at least I didn't see you mention it) so that further widens the gap for me.

Regardless of that huge rant, I think I still take Foster if he falls to me... I might have a harder time choosing between Martin and Charles... I'm not sure I trust him to perform this season the way he did last year. Something about that sophomore slump or teams making better adjustments this year to him now that they've all been burned by him once. I don't know...
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)

Postby ike301 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:38 pm

duffoholic wrote:Last year Rice was only ahead of Charles because of TD's. I think that evens out this year with the KC offence being less benign under Reid and with a new boost at QB. Rice was almost 400 yards behind in rushing and only 250 ahead in Rec and I expect that gap to shrink under Reid too. PLUS, Rice stands to be losing some carries to Pierce where Charles is the only game in town... I don't think your league is PPR (at least I didn't see you mention it) so that further widens the gap for me.

Regardless of that huge rant, I think I still take Foster if he falls to me... I might have a harder time choosing between Martin and Charles... I'm not sure I trust him to perform this season the way he did last year. Something about that sophomore slump or teams making better adjustments this year to him now that they've all been burned by him once. I don't know...

Hi, yes, it is PPR at 0.5 per reception. That's the x factor. Not bad at 61 receptions last year, 76 in '11 and 63 in '10. With the departure of Boldin, I expect some block, release, and quick outs for Rice.... I dunno. I've been burned with Charles before. I do see some RBBC with Ray but ultimately, give him the ball. I hear you on the new offense, but a bit risky on adoption and execution for this first year, no? Now that you know there is a .5 PPR, does that change anything?
ike301
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions