"the Window" trade clause & Free Agency - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

"the Window" trade clause & Free Agency

Moderator: Football Moderators

"the Window" trade clause & Free Agency

Postby deslaur » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:02 am

Hello all!
Our league has a different trade rule called the window. "The window is a strict 24 hour time period in which other owners can propose counter offers to the already accepted trade. The reason behind this is it's a put up or shut up kinda deal. No one can get mad at a deal if they had the opportunity to beat that deal and make it better, more fair, etc. HOW IT WORKS: Post your proposal in the comments section under the facebook post. If the owners chooses your offer, have the owner write something like "I, Ryan Deslauriers, accept the counter offer of ABC from XYZ". Once I see this, I will cancel the initial trade that was already accepted. The new trade must be offered and accepted before the end of the 24 hour window that was on the initial trade. If it is not officially accepted on the ESPN website, the original trade will proceed through. Because this requires my veto to happen, any lag time between when I see the Facebook comment saying you accepted it and when I veto the original deal, that difference will be added onto the end of the initial 24 hour window. The new trade will then begin it's own 24 hour window once it's accepted on the ESPN website."

It works pretty well and I have no complaints however during pick trading we're finding people are exploiting this rule by including late picks in their trades so that they can get out of the deal in the 24 hours if they choose. If anyone has any idea on how to counteract this, that'd be awesome.

On to free agency. We can't find a system we like. The last two years we have used a waiver option which I find annoying and frustrating, This year I was planning on using a free for all system but I believe there is a better option out there and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.
Thanks!
deslaur
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: "the Window" trade clause & Free Agency

Postby dream_017 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:19 am

deslaur wrote:Hello all!
Our league has a different trade rule called the window. "The window is a strict 24 hour time period in which other owners can propose counter offers to the already accepted trade. The reason behind this is it's a put up or shut up kinda deal. No one can get mad at a deal if they had the opportunity to beat that deal and make it better, more fair, etc. HOW IT WORKS: Post your proposal in the comments section under the facebook post. If the owners chooses your offer, have the owner write something like "I, Ryan Deslauriers, accept the counter offer of ABC from XYZ". Once I see this, I will cancel the initial trade that was already accepted. The new trade must be offered and accepted before the end of the 24 hour window that was on the initial trade. If it is not officially accepted on the ESPN website, the original trade will proceed through. Because this requires my veto to happen, any lag time between when I see the Facebook comment saying you accepted it and when I veto the original deal, that difference will be added onto the end of the initial 24 hour window. The new trade will then begin it's own 24 hour window once it's accepted on the ESPN website."

First off, welcome to the Cafe! ;-D

deslaur wrote:It works pretty well and I have no complaints however during pick trading we're finding people are exploiting this rule by including late picks in their trades so that they can get out of the deal in the 24 hours if they choose. If anyone has any idea on how to counteract this, that'd be awesome.

Not sure I understand the issue. How do you get out of a trade? Doesn't the team have an accepted deal or accepts a new deal - they are still making a trade, correct?

deslaur wrote:On to free agency. We can't find a system we like. The last two years we have used a waiver option which I find annoying and frustrating, This year I was planning on using a free for all system but I believe there is a better option out there and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.
Thanks!

Blind bidding ;-D I finally used this for the first time last year and love it
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby deslaur » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:42 am

The problem is people will include late round picks and if they then want to get out of the trade, they'll just swap picks such as 320, 344 for 321, 343. And it's basically no loss to them and they get out of doing the original deal which included picks in the 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th rounds
deslaur
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby dream_017 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:37 am

deslaur wrote:The problem is people will include late round picks and if they then want to get out of the trade, they'll just swap picks such as 320, 344 for 321, 343. And it's basically no loss to them and they get out of doing the original deal which included picks in the 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th rounds

So, if I'm reading this right, you can accept a counter-offer from the original team you are trading with? If so, that right there is the issue. If it is coming from other owners to help out the original, then you have collusion on your hands
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Return to Commissioner's Corner